Register

A Cheese Board for the Food Board

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: A Cheese Board for the Food Board

Postby aero280 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:44 pm

Some years ago I bought a £5 piece of Rogue River Blue. At £78/kg it was enough for half a sandwich. It was very nice, but something I felt to be worth that much. It was matured wrapped in brandy soaked vine leaves.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:11 pm

Binky wrote:We had Baron Bigod for the first time this Christmas. It was very good but not as good as a runny Brie de Meaux (imo).

I like both, not had a lot of Baron Bigod which seems to be rather fashionable

I’ve mentioned before that Aldi has a very good Brie de Meaux at a good price

I find some cheeses smell of ammonia, but not specifically goat (the odour of a goat is caprylic acid and its derivatives) though I suppose ammonia does tend to favour cheeses with powdery white soft rinds, which many goat cheeses have so there is an obvious link.
I think you have to go a long way to beat the good old Chavroux mini log, which is in nearly every supermarket and often on offer. Just wrap it in something more airtight than the bit of paper provided.

Postby Binky » Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:22 pm

We got our Baron Bigod from a local(ish) company that does home deliveries. Received an email just now to say they are to cease trading in a week. :?

This is the second company this week to give us that news - the other was an artisan baker who says orders are down and it's no longer worth delivering, and customers must visit the shop. We can't due to self-isolation, so no more proper sourdough chez Binky. :thumbsdown

Postby aero280 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:26 pm

The Baron Brigid was on offer at Neal’s Yard before Christmas. I bought a chunk! :)

Postby aero280 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:29 pm

The Doddington cheese is one of my favourite cheeses. I see that they have brought out a smoked cheese and a blue cheese. I must try some.

Postby Binky » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:51 pm

When people talk about smoked cheese it reminds me of something I used to love as a teenager. It probably wasn't even real cheese, but it was a sausage shaped piece of 'smoked cheese' wrapped in brown plastic. The bakery near our school sold mini-Hovis (the size of approx two matchboxes) and this was a staple snack for many of us in sixth form.

Postby aero280 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:30 pm

There was a big brown sausage shaped cheese called "Smoked Austrian". About 3 inches in diameter. It was sold in thick slices. I still see it around in the supermarkets.

[edit]

Found a picture of the one I'm thinking of.

Screenshot 2022-01-05 at 14.33.43.png
Screenshot 2022-01-05 at 14.33.43.png (235.43 KiB) Viewed 4479 times

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:24 pm

Yes, the brown 'sausage' is still around in supermarkets in whole small sausages or slices from larger ones. I rarely buy it but have always liked it too!

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:42 pm

aero280 wrote:There was a big brown sausage shaped cheese called "Smoked Austrian". About 3 inches in diameter. It was sold in thick slices. I still see it around in the supermarkets.

[edit]

Found a picture of the one I'm thinking of.

They also made a smaller chub aka sausage shape of the Austrian smoked cheese, the same size as the ~4oz packs of Matteson’s liver sausage etc and I think I’ve seen tiny ones in pick and mix cheese selections

ETA I see EM mentioned the small ones, Sainsbury’s describe them as containing “smoke flavoured processed cheese”. Nice. There’s also a Bavarian variant.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/pro ... heese-125g

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:39 pm

OOhh yes, I remember that too, it was a huge treat!!

(For some reason I associate that with the milk that used to come in the tall bottles with the metal cap, was it sterilised or something? I absolutely loved it! I wonder if my mother got them both from the milkman and so I would maybe have them at the same time?)

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:57 pm

That was definitely sterilised milk, and I would blame either your milkman or your corner shop ;)
3CD61955-05AE-4790-B479-44BC3486B44A.jpeg
3CD61955-05AE-4790-B479-44BC3486B44A.jpeg (18.53 KiB) Viewed 4451 times

Postby Suffs » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:07 am

https://www.eadt.co.uk/things-to-do/foo ... ay-8634858

I really rate a soft ripe Baron Bigod … seems I’m not the only one …

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:17 am

I often buy cheese from the deli counter at my tesco where the offer is 3 for £5 ... of each cheese costs £2.75, that's quite a saving. My favourite is the truffle flavoured Iberico. It doesn't last long once I get it home - Last time I found Montagnolo which is equally delicious but in an entirely different way .. that one gets eaten straight off the knife ;) :yum

Postby WolfGirl » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:42 am

Ooh, Patsy, I think my Tesco may do similar but I never really look there as it is a bit away from the normal cheese section.
I’ll definitely have a browse next time.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:14 pm

Suffs wrote:https://www.eadt.co.uk/things-to-do/food-reviews/baron-bigod-cheese-fen-farm-bungay-8634858

I really rate a soft ripe Baron Bigod … seems I’m not the only one …

As mentioned above I love Baron Bigod, it’s delicious, I suspect some of the character comes from making it about twice as thick as thick as classic Brie de Meaux, matures differently

I admit I skimmed the article a bit, so long and apparently not proof read, but what I was looking for and didn’t find was the origin of the name?

Postby Suffs » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:42 pm

Baron Bigod ... local Norman big-wig SSue ... very appropriate for a Bri-type cheese ... he built the local castle at Bungay ... hang on a min ...

"... Baron Bigod (pronounced By-god) was the Earl of Norfolk in the 12th-century and owned the land on which Fen Farm now stands. By building a castle in Bungay (which overlooks Fen Farm), however, he annoyed the king (Stephen) and was punished by being sent off to fight in Syria.

Baron Bigod originated from Normandy (coming to Britain during the Norman invasion), which is where bloomy-rinded cheeses, such as Camembert and Brie, are best known. Jonathan likes to think “If Baron Bigod were alive today he would be very pleased to know there is good French-style Brie available in his home town!” https://www.thecourtyarddairy.co.uk/sho ... igod-brie/

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:29 pm

Ah thanks Suffs, Baron Bigod of Bungay makes sense, apart from sounding as if he were invented by Edward Lear :D

Postby RockyBVI » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:54 am

We had friends around last night and had some Minger https://www.eastlondoncheeseboard.co.uk/product/minger

It was really delicious. Quite pungent but very smooth at the same time.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:54 am

We were at Walsingham last year and I was recommending various cheeses made locally. However, the deli in the village also had some Minger. A friend bought a bit, which he later pronounced to be the best of the selection he had purchased.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:50 pm

RockyBVI wrote:We had friends around last night and had some Minger https://www.eastlondoncheeseboard.co.uk/product/minger

It was really delicious. Quite pungent but very smooth at the same time.

Did you get it at the butcher, Rocky? Driving past the other day it looked as if they had quite an extensive delicatessen as well.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox