Register

New Year's Eve Menu

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

New Year's Eve Menu

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:52 am

Now that we're (nearly) up and about I was thinking that perhaps we ought to have a special meal on NYE as we don't go out and are usually in bed by 9. :lol: :lol:

Does anyone other than me rate the Dine-In meals that some of the supermarkets do? I've just had this through from M&S. Is it a bargain at £20 ? Time was when you got a starter AND a dessert so I'm not sure. Trouble is that at a restaurant he and I would choose totally different things so I'll be giving in again. I may go down and see what we can get individually. One thing though, I will not be cooking.

https://www.marksandspencer.com/c/food- ... email#Menu

Re: New Year's Eve Menu

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:14 am

Although it may be a popular choice, I would prefer to have the starter AND pud without wine or chocolates - maybe even for less money! I do think that for ease of use they're worth it and, if buying for one, you can eke out the starters and sides for separate meals meaning you can get up to 6 meals out of it!

Postby Sloe-Gin » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:34 am

I was thinking to do the same with the Tesco offer, but by the time most mains were 'unavailable', I gave up and it's steak, chips, garlic mushrooms, onion rings and peppercorn sauce here, with a nice bottle of red wine. I have found a red i actually enjoy too! Neither of us can manage starters or puds any more.
Seeing as we will not stay up to wave goodbye to this hateful year, it may be more fitting to have our fizz on NYD to welcome '22.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:59 am

We have had the dine in dinners before, they can be very good

But we had a laugh on Twitter prompted by one of the M&S choices
90349B07-7D7E-4803-AC5A-35712ABF7438.jpeg
90349B07-7D7E-4803-AC5A-35712ABF7438.jpeg (89.38 KiB) Viewed 4200 times

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:22 pm

If there's anything on there you think would work for both of you, then I'd go for it. I'd also probably get the starter, rather than the pudding, and then maybe get the chocs. The sides look better than usual.
I'm sure that any wine you have is probably better than what is on offer.

I know I bang on a bit about COOK, but if you have one within reach, we always use them when we feel like a treat/change. We've never been disappointed by anything we've had.

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:25 pm

There's one in Northwood KC2, about 100 metres from my pool. I'll check it out tomorrow. Thanks.

Postby smitch » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:27 pm

We’re having a beige buffet washed down with some nice beers.

I find most of the dine in deals very poor for veggies. The full in-store M&S deal isn’t available at Ocado- they’re only offering macaroni cheese. I prefer to make my own, it isn’t the same value as the meaty dishes and it contains mustard so is out for my anyway :roll: We’re also not wine drinkers.

I thought the plant kitchen stuff in the main M&S deal looked good. I’m not sure what is funny about it.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:28 pm

The pudds at COOK are to die for, PP! At least, the ones we've had ...

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:34 pm

smitch wrote:
I thought the plant kitchen stuff in the main M&S deal looked good. I’m not sure what is funny about it.

We don’t have a problem at all with Plant Kitchen or vegan food, the croquettes were packed in a tray with a clear lid and looked good, chunkier than I’d expected

But what we were laughing at or annoyed by, at was the terminology
My friend (a former chef) had just discovered on sale the Vegan Foie Gras, labelled exactly as that, and the ingredients didn’t look as good as the Faux Gras we discussed previously, and which I made. The croquettes are made of shredded soya with balsamic onions and provided with a cherry hoisin dip. Sounds a bit over contrived to me but I’d try them. There’s no foie in the faux gras, and no duck in the croquettes, and they don’t taste as if there is, so why name them in that way? It’s about language. And the funniest part is of course the ex-chef’s ott reaction

Postby Amber » Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:22 pm

For Covid reasons we had a Cook Christmas. Most things were very good, roast pots were ok, but we were not impressed with the veg (sprouts and leeks, carrots and parsnips). All leftover veg went straight in the bin :cry: . An expensive experiment.

But as they’re almost a corner shop to us, we’ll definitely be using them again. :thumbsup

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:26 pm

That's interesting, Amber, I must admit we've only ever bought the main dish or dessert - and we've usually gone for things we wouldn't make (at all or as well) ourselves.
I'm sorry the veg weren't even adequate for soup, at least :D What a waste!

Postby Amber » Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:41 pm

They would’ve been ok for soup…. :oops: :oops:

Postby ZeroCook » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:23 pm

The M&S menus look pretty ok, given their stuff is pretty good- good price too!

I'm cookin! We usually do a NY's Day meal. This year I think it'll be a nice organic chicken, probably Belgian Endive / Elisa's excellent Chicken Hirohito - dried ceps under the skin and oven cooked in vinho verde /light white wine :D

Agree about naming vegan dishes - obviously a sales branding thing to evoke carnivore mental taste images! 8-)

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:18 pm

ZeroCook wrote:I'm cookin! We usually do a NY's Day meal.

Same here!

Lovely to see mention of Elisa - I do miss her floating around the board.....

I think we will be having calves liver etc. on NY :yum

Postby Suffs » Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:29 am

We’ll be having Cock a leekie with dumplings this evening and then we’ll go to bed at our usual time. Tomorrow we’ll have pan-roasted wild mallard ,roasted homegrown squash, mushrooms and Cavalo Nero from the garden with a red wine and juniper gravy.

Postby mistakened » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:23 am

New Year's Eve supper got changed when I got to the supermarket, they have had a new shipment of frozen food including some duck dishes. We are now having Confit Duck Legs, roasted artichokes, broccoli and Lidl's potato croquettes. Possibly followed by Tiramisu (Lidl)

Postby WolfGirl » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:34 am

I’m thinking of a turkey, ham and leek pie with a small portion of turkey I froze a couple of days ago!

Tomorrow will be our main foodie celebration when we’ll be having beef wellington.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:37 am

COOK has a 50% off clearance of Christmas menu - depending on what is in the shop nearest you. Unfortunately my freezer is still packed so there's no space for anything.
https://www.cookfood.net/menu/clearance

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox