Register

Christmas Breakfast

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Christmas Breakfast

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:01 pm

What ideas do you have.

We are stuck in the salmon with creamy scrambled eggs route.
Is there another option? :lol: I've never done anything different.

Re: Christmas Breakfast

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:12 pm

I tend not to have very much unless trying to work a 2 meal strategy (very late lunch), in which case scrambled eggs in some form are likely to feature

My ex used to expect the Christmas ham/gammon for his breakfast, with the eggs, which is when I started my personal tradition of serving the baked gammon with jacket spuds and coleslaw for dinner on Christmas Eve, as it didn't interrupt my prep for Christmas dinner

The best croissant I can get my hands on with coffee does fine now
Used to do Buck's Fizz but gone off that, I'd rather wait and have a glass of straight champers later on

Postby Suffs » Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:34 pm

I think a lot depends on what time you eat your main meal …. it looks as if DS may well be working at the testing centre … he’s on call all over Christmas and the way figures are going … :shock: :roll: ) so we may be eating late so I’m considering just toast and juice for breakfast then a more substantial lunch which might be along the lines of a Full English … or perhaps pancakes and fruit compote … or we might just have the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs … perhaps a larger serving :yum … or what about Eggs Benedict or one of the variations …. or …. kedgeree!!! :yum

I’d go for Devilled kidneys on toast but OH says he’s not keen … although he always eats it when I make it. :lol:

Postby Busybee » Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:43 pm

If we eat around 5pm or later then we have a full English breakfast, if eating 1-2pm then just our usual, porridge. It’s not something that I’ve ever really thought about, my favourite would probably be a big fruit platter and pastries/ good bread and an apricot conserve.

BB

Postby liketocook » Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:48 pm

We tend to eat late afternoon though will have had canapes and cocktails around 2ish.
Breakfast is usually either a bagel or croissant with smoked salmon or bacon and cream cheese.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:57 pm

That's a point about when we eat the main event.
We eat about 6 - 6.30pm. And aren't lunchtime eaters, so it's Christmas breakfast, and then a pause until 6.

With you on bucks fizz, Sue. I've gone off it too. Although I still enjoy kir royale as an evening embellishment.

Eggs benedict might be a goer, Suffs.

Postby Gruney2 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:03 pm

My routine has always been to have toast and coffee, before dog walking, then a decent sized brunch of smoked salmon and blinis, with a glass or two of Chablis. My dinner is not too demanding - most prep can be done before brunch, so I can set it off whenever I'm in the mood.

Postby Seatallan » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:06 pm

We always have the same thing. The recipe is called 'Smoked Oyster Surprises' and I've been making them for years, ever since a close friend of ours served them up at a birthday do we attended. Basically, it's pork sausagemeat mixed with some finely chopped fresh ginger, some minced garlic, a couple of teaspoons of wholegrain mustard and salt/pepper to taste. Form into patties and wrap each one around a tinned smoked oyster (or half an oyster if they're too large to wrap properly). Form into balls, brush them with the oil from the oyster tin and then shallow-fry them (with some additional oil- I use groundnut oil). Drain on kitchen paper and serve them at room temperature. We have them with some champers whilst we open our prezzies.

Later (probably mid/late afternoon after a walk) we have cheese & charcueterie to keep us going and then we get onto the main event in the evening. :yum
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby herbidacious » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:21 pm

If I ate Christmas breakfast, I would not be able to eat the two course Christmas lunch! (We have to have the meal at lunch time as my mother is put to bed at 7pm.) I don't usually eat breakfast anyway.

Back in the day we used to have waffles with jam and cream... ir freshly baked croissants. (From a tin, of course.)

Special scrambled egg made with really good butter, fresh eggs (if you can get them) and creme fraiche would work for me.

Postby Suelle » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:53 pm

My usual black coffee will suffice. If I start deviating from my routine of only eating between 12 noon and 8pm, just because of the festive season, I'll be needing to lose weight again by New Year's Day.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:14 pm

We usually have panettone with our coffee instead of the everyday muesli/banana/kefir/yogurt bowl.

Postby smitch » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:42 pm

I’ve ordered bagels, cream cheese and salt beef (for OH) this year.

Some years we have waffles or pancakes or occasionally I order posh pastries from an artisan baker in Manchester.

Postby ZeroCook » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:13 pm

It's once a year, it's delicious and if you enjoy it, it has its upside, Gill - no need to think about it and concentrate on creative cooking for the big dinner :D

On the other hand ... if you like the loveliness of eggs and smoked fish as a great start to the festive day, a change of egg preparation (poached, say) or eggs (duck eggs, goose eggs, quail eggs, say) trying little morsels of other types of unusual or untried smoked fish, or smoked shellfish, fish eggs - salmon roe is delectable - might be an interesting and delicious variation.

Postby aero280 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:12 am

We'll probably have a brunch. OH will be at a midnight service and won't be home until the early hours. I don't think it will be anything special.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:28 am

Midnight mass is delightful, Will. Not sure I can make it to twelve o'clock these days.

Funny your mentioning a change of seafood, Zero.
Tony continues to suggest smoked mackerel as an alternative. Would it go?
I could get s, mack, and the salmon as a change I guess.

Postby Grasshopper » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:47 am

We usually have something light, such as scrambled eggs on toast.
:yum
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby halfateabag » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:02 am

As we normally have the 'main event' around 2/3pm I try as last until then but there will probably be some smoked salmon with my version of blinis with a glass of something bubbly whilst sorting lunch. I do like scrambled eggs with SS but he is not keen....

I will do a tray of root roast and a tray of med veg roast, it's the easiest way in this household.

Boxing day will be a large sarni on good special bread, turkey, cranberry, avocado, iceberg and some stuffing and maybe a bloody mary deluxe !

Postby Suelle » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:30 am

Gillthepainter wrote:Midnight mass is delightful, Will. Not sure I can make it to twelve o'clock these days.

Funny your mentioning a change of seafood, Zero.
Tony continues to suggest smoked mackerel as an alternative. Would it go?
I could get s, mack, and the salmon as a change I guess.

Smoked mackerel makes a delicious paté. Most recipes are variations on this: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... kerel-pate
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:45 am

I like smoked mackerel but last time I had a smoked mackerel salad in a café someone put the fish under the grill so it was hot and oozing oil

Yuk. And if you did that at home the house would stink for days

I like it just as it comes (cold), perhaps with horseradish cream and salad, but I have had it with scrambled eggs and toast when browsing hotel buffets and it works, though smoked salmon feels more special.

Postby aero280 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:35 am

I have been buying 1kg bags of Loch Fyne smoked salmon trimmings from Costco for a few years. Perfectly good for sandwiches, etc. And about one-third if the price of the big thin sliced fillets. I did get one odd bag which had an inordinate number of tail-ends with tough skin on them, which I had to strip off, but normally there’s no skin in there.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox