Register

What won’t you try?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

What won’t you try?

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:09 pm

Following on from the other thread, is there anything that you can’t bring yourself to try? OH could win prizes but I would be hard pushed to eat a snail or frog legs.

Re: What won’t you try?

Postby Gruney2 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:16 pm

My dad used to love sheeps' brains - no thank you!

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:16 pm

Can you still buy brains?

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:26 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Following on from the other thread, is there anything that you can’t bring yourself to try? OH could win prizes but I would be hard pushed to eat a snail or frog legs.

I've eaten both but never tried tripe, brains or sweetbreads .... just never come across them

Edited to add: snails are a bit like winkles soaked in garlic and frog legs are just like skinny chicken wings

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:35 pm

I have tried all of those, and frankly can't be bothered with any of them - the brains were calf I think, both times

I can't think of anything I've not even tried on the grounds I've pre-judged it as yuk though there are things I might not like the look or odour of of when confronted with them, and things I wouldn't try on principle such as endangered species

I won't be taking the opportunity to try prairie oysters if offered, having once encountered half a tonne of them at work.

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:38 pm

I'm with you on the snails, been up close & personal with the slimy devils too many times in the garden ( although the garlic butter they're served with always smells wonderful) and I've many close frog friends out in our wild pond - can't bear seeing their legs on menus. :cry:

Wouldn't go near that Italian maggoty cheese or century eggs, durian fruit is another, then there was that popular streetfood in Cambodia - crispy fried tarantular :o or the beetle blood drink.....! gross!

I'm sure there's more.........

Postby Sloe-Gin » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:57 pm

As zee 'usband of my French friend says, 'ow you not know you don't like eet, if you ave never tried eet?'
Puffer fish springs to mind.....

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:01 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:Wouldn't go near that Italian maggoty cheese or century eggs, durian fruit is another, then there was that popular streetfood in Cambodia - crispy fried tarantular :o or the beetle blood drink.....! gross!

:vomit to all of those

Postby Amyw » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:05 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:
Lusciouslush wrote:Wouldn't go near that Italian maggoty cheese or century eggs, durian fruit is another, then there was that popular streetfood in Cambodia - crispy fried tarantular :o or the beetle blood drink.....! gross!

:vomit to all of those

Same !! Brains don’t appeal . I’ve had scorpion before , so would be up for trying any other creepy crawly . I’ve never tried oysters and have always been a bit squeamish about trying them . Generally I think I’m pretty good … certainly one of the more adventurous amongst my friends

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:37 pm

I used to love Oysters as a child as my dad had a dozen every Sunday ... then when I became a grown up, I realised that they must still be alive when they are shucked, so I couldn't eat them for a while. I am afraid my greediness overcame that phobia, but still don't think I could eat the inards of a freshly caught spiny sea urchin that Rick Stein loves :thumbsdown

Postby liketocook » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:44 pm

I think the only things (subject to endangered species proviso) I wouldn't try would be eyeballs or something involving formed embryos, just the thought makes me squirmy! Lots of things I've not had the opportunity too so there could well be more if it came to it.
Puffer fish probably not, the risk outweighs any appeal tbh but I'm not a massive sashimi fan anyway.

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:55 pm

Eyes were my first thought but agree re embryos too. Also Steak Tartare.

I love brains.

Postby Suffs » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:57 pm

There’s not a lot I wont try … we frequently had calves’ brains on toast as children and I love escargots, and you all know I love all sorts of offal. I’m a bit squeamish about eggs … they have to be very fresh for me, so there are some egg that I just wouldn’t try … and I wont try frogs legs because of what I’ve tread about the way they’re treated … I probably wouldn’t try puffer fish either … but apart from those I’ll try anything … trotters, tails, ears … bring em on if properly cooked :yum.

I’ll have your share of steak tartare please EM :yum

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:02 am

I used to like oysters but they stopped liking me

I’ve tried sea urchins, they taste quite similar to oysters, softer, I wasn’t crazy about them, but it was fun to dive for them then eat them

My dad said all those raw molluscs were just gristly seawater, one can see his point

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:15 am

Pat, sweeetbreads are fab. Had them last time we went to The Artchoke in Amersham. Really tasty.

Postby Suffs » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:30 am

When I was a child we used to go a few times a year to a restaurant on the top floor of the big department store Footman & Pretty’s in Ipswich. It was proper silver service and there was a sommelier and mannequins would sashay amongst the tables wearing the latest couture fashions. I always chose Kidney soup followed by Fricassee of Sweetbreads and then cheese and biscuits … that was from the age of about seven until my early teens when the store and restaurant was taken over by Debenhams and changed beyond all recognition. I’ve always loved offal.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:49 am

I was brought up to think that sweetbreads were an expensive delicacy and don't remember ever being offered them. My mother adored them. I'd love to try them.

Postby Seatallan » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:15 am

I adore snails! I just wish they'd come back into fashion again as you so rarely see them anywhere now. Love Steak Tartare too.

I don't think there's anything I absolutely wouldn't try. I'd have a go on insects and arachnids though preferably not with their heads on (if you know what I mean). After all, I'll happily eat prawns, langoustines, crabs, etc, and it isn't much different.

Love offal too...
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:19 am

Our Waitrose have started doing vac-packed snails Sea! Next time I go I’ll see what the shelf life is.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:40 am

Pepper Pig wrote:Pat, sweeetbreads are fab. Had them last time we went to The Artchoke in Amersham. Really tasty.

I will join you next time you go there PP ;) :thumbsup

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox