Register

What won’t you try?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What won’t you try?

Postby Suffs » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:28 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Our Waitrose have started doing vac-packed snails Sea! Next time I go I’ll see what the shelf life is.

Which aisle are they in …?

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:31 pm

Our Waitrose is enormous and caters to the rich folk “on the Hill”. The snails are in the aisle that does all the fancy pre-packed ham, salami, anchovies and the like.

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:35 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:
I will join you next time you go there PP ;) :thumbsup

Start saving Pat!

https://www.artichokerestaurant.co.uk/o ... ting-menu/

Postby Seatallan » Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:46 pm

Thanks for the tip PP! We're in Booths country up here but it's quite possible they'll have some (or our fab local food hall come to that). I think it's more that I'd love to eat them in a restaurant rather than have the faff of preparing them.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:09 pm

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:15 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/francaise-de-gastronomie-12-escargots/774631-369550-369551

They used to do some very similar in the freezer, possibly when they first linked with Picard?

They have a one star review "Half the shells just had butter and no snails??? Ridiculous. Poor value"
That's how snails are!

I have a can of snails somewhere, but they no longer come with a bag of shells like they used to

Postby RockyBVI » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:10 am

I’ll also have the steak tartare please. Love it. The thing that gave me the most pause for thought was tarantula when we were living in Cambodia. I only ate the legs though. OH ate the body. Yuck!

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:00 am

The steak tartare thing is a funny one. I love it. Many years ago when I was pregnant with number 1, so that makes it at a least forty years ago, I did a school orchestra exchange as a teacher in Northern France. Harrow was twinned with Douai (remember those days)? Looking back it was hideous as the two violin teachers thought I was young and irresponsible butI was the only one who could speak French - I’d done it for A level - and steak tartare came up on the menu of a restaurant we were taken to. I was a foodie even then and carefully explained what it was but their faces when it arrived had to be seen to be believed. And apparently it was all my fault. They are both still alive and both still cows.
Last edited by Pepper Pig on Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Seatallan » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:58 pm

RockyBVI wrote:I’ll also have the steak tartare please. Love it. The thing that gave me the most pause for thought was tarantula when we were living in Cambodia. I only ate the legs though. OH ate the body. Yuck!

It's silly being as I eat all sorts of animals I like, but I don't think I could bring myself to eat a tarantula. They're so beautiful to my mind and remarkably intelligent. I'm being a bit hypocritical however. I suspect I'd give it a go if it was unrecognisable.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox