Register

Why don’t you like?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Why don’t you like?

Postby liketocook » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:56 pm

Seatallan wrote:The only thing I really struggle with (and it drives me mad) is broad beans. I have no idea why- I can eat (and enjoy) every other sort of bean but broad beans give me that gagging reflex. It's something about the texture I think (but it happens even if I've double-podded them if you know what I mean). I can do them in a puree but that's all.

I'm exactly the same as you with kidney beans Sea but absolutely fine with other types.
With the exception of tripe which I loathe both the taste and smell my other dislikes are mainly texture based. Raw oysters are a no no but other things I'm not keen on such as fresh tuna and sloppy macaroni cheese I'd eat to be polite. Despite making one at New Year for more years than I care to think about I'm not overly keen on steak pie, I like all the components but don't really enjoy the end dish. Again odd because I love other types of pie.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:33 pm

It struck me on reading this thread, how lucky we really are in the choices we have.
Several foods have rung bells with me, but, because I don't like them, I have dismissed them from my mind treacle, licorice, marzipan - all vile to me!!

Postby herbidacious » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:22 pm

Manchester tart. That's a no thanks from me too! (Because of the coconut.)

Broad beans have to be skinned after being podded and cooked. Husband likes them with the skins. They can be a little bitter even after skinning.

I don't see the point of puff pastry. Flaky is another matter... Maybe it's because I have never had homemade puff.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:25 pm

I agree with Herbi on the rose and violet - I really think violet creams are probably the one chocolate I absolutely wouldn't be able to get down!

Sloe-Gin wrote:It struck me on reading this thread, how lucky we really are in the choices we have.
Several foods have rung bells with me, but, because I don't like them, I have dismissed them from my mind treacle, licorice, marzipan - all vile to me!!

Absolutely, Sloe, we have the option to avoid them (for the most part, although I can see that not eating eggs could be a real problem! Does that go for cakes as well, Wic?)

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:29 pm

I could never understand, when I was small, why people thought Parma violet sweets were edible. :oops: Another chickpea hater here Amy. I'll have all your broad beans though Seatallen, skins and all.

Have also just remembered the last couple of times I ate fried black pudding. I love the taste, I really do but I couldn't keep it down. Is that an allergy or what?

Postby mistakened » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:54 pm

I d not like the texture of creme caramel , blancmange and associated deserts but am OK with custard. Celery never enters the house.
It's not that I don't like chilis, I cannot cope with heat. I would like to eat more Thai style food but people will pile in the chilis

Moira

Postby Seatallan » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:42 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:I could never understand, when I was small, why people thought Parma violet sweets were edible. :oops: Another chickpea hater here Amy. I'll have all your broad beans though Seatallen, skins and all.

Have also just remembered the last couple of times I ate fried black pudding. I love the taste, I really do but I couldn't keep it down. Is that an allergy or what?

I'll swap my broad beans for your chickpeas PP :thumbsup
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Busybee » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:49 pm

I’ll have ALL the violet and rose creams :yum :yum

BB

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:02 pm

liketocook wrote:
Seatallan wrote:The only thing I really struggle with (and it drives me mad) is broad beans. I have no idea why- I can eat (and enjoy) every other sort of bean but broad beans give me that gagging reflex. It's something about the texture I think (but it happens even if I've double-podded them if you know what I mean). I can do them in a puree but that's all.

I'm exactly the same as you with kidney beans Sea but absolutely fine with other types.

That could actually be a reaction to something in the bean, the little b---s are chock full of lectins and other odd small proteins you can react to - after all favism, a more extreme reaction to fava (including broad) beans, is not rare

Postby Seatallan » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:21 pm

Oh that's interesting Sue! That makes a lot of sense actually.

My sister was the same with oily fish. She persevered, but always had that gagging reflex after a few mouthfuls.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby herbidacious » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:39 pm

Lamb used to make me feel sick... cheese and onion pasties still do.

My father loved rose and violet creams. They only began to become easy to find after he died. I used to go to great lengths (especially pre internet shopping... how did we do it back then?) to source them. Whenever I see them on sale, now, I think of him.

Sibling liked such things too - parma violets and weren't there some floral red sweets? Perhaps it's genetic. Turkish delight is a bit iffy too but sweet enough to be edible.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:43 pm

herbidacious wrote:My father loved rose and violet creams. They only began to become easy to find after he died. I used to go to great lengths (especially pre internet shopping... how did we do it back then?) to source them. Whenever I see them on sale, now, I think of him.

I once phoned Harrods to see if they had an Italian liqueur called Aurum my parents liked, the girl on the other end was intrigued, and correctly guessed the name meant it would be golden (it's orange + orange flower)
They didn't have it, got it in Soho quite easily

Postby herbidacious » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:46 pm

I bet you wouldn't get that response now...

I think I may have got my father r&v creams in Selfridges. I forget that before intenet shopping I did actually go into central London! (And have been here on and off for 28 years now!) There would have been no chance of getting them in Sheffield!

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:19 pm

I'm finding it difficult to think of many foods I really don't like, but andouillette is right on top of the list closley followed by rubbery bulots. Not at all keen on artichoke or shop-bought pastry (in pies, pasties etc).
Don't have a sweet tooth at all but strangely like marzipan.
Herbal teas don't do it for me either.

Postby Amyw » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:57 pm

I think if we extend it to drinks , green tea I would find it very hard to drink . When I was in my fad dieting stage , where I’d jump on the latest health food bandwagon , I tried to force myself to drink green tea every day . Absolutely hated the stuff

Postby liketocook » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:36 pm

Amyw wrote:I think if we extend it to drinks , green tea I would find it very hard to drink . When I was in my fad dieting stage , where I’d jump on the latest health food bandwagon , I tried to force myself to drink green tea every day . Absolutely hated the stuff

Herbal teas generally I'm not fussed about with the exception of lemon & ginger if I'm poorly and I suppose that's not herbal as such. Fizzy drinks, with a few exceptions, I'm meh about I'd rather have water or squash.
With you on the andouillette LL, once was more than enough!
I'm not keen on liquorice but in small amounts I'm okay with it, ditto florally scented sweets. Aniseed drinks like pernod nope but that's more to do with far too much pernod and blackcurrant once as a teenager :oops: , but like I like fennel and don't mind tarragon in small quantities.

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:58 pm

I used to make rose, violet and peppermint fondant creams with my grandmother, only ever really liked the peppermint but happy memories and they looked so nice.

Postby Suffs » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:01 am

Desiccated coconut … it’s just like sawdust. But I think that’s probably it.

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:03 am

Amyw wrote:I think if we extend it to drinks , green tea I would find it very hard to drink . When I was in my fad dieting stage , where I’d jump on the latest health food bandwagon , I tried to force myself to drink green tea every day . Absolutely hated the stuff

I used not to like green tea at all, until a friend explained that you shouldn't use boiling water for it as that, apparently, is what makes it bitter.

I am able to drink it now we make it with non-boiling water but I wouldn't exactly go out of my way to choose it!

Postby Amyw » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:09 am

Oh interesting I don’t know whether I’m brave enough to try again … with non boiled water!!

Talking about bitterness , I wonder if a lot of the foods we dislike are based on texture , origin or flavour more . I would say for me , it’s more texture, though with the green tea , it was definitely the bitterness. I know quite a few people who are either ambivalent or hate sweet things , so actively avoid anything sweet . I wish I had that issue sometime

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox