Register

Why don’t you like?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Why don’t you like?

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:09 am

Yup, "Green tea temperature: We recommend brewing green tea using water that is heated to 175 to 180 degrees. This water should be steaming briskly, but not yet boiling. Some speciality green teas, like Gyokuro, should be brewed at an even lower temperature, closer to 140 degrees."

We got a new kettle a couple of years ago that has several different temp settings - white tea, green tea, coffee etc. We've got used to it now, but when we first got it we really noticed the difference in our breakfast coffee!

Ha, yes, I could do with a bit of ambivalnece towards sweet things too!

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:48 am

The bitter sour sweet thing is odd and seems quite individual

A colleague brought in some extra sour jelly beans because he thought nobody could tolerate them and was shocked two of rather liked the odd one

I don’t have a massive sweet tooth and as well as sour I like some bitter things (Campari, espresso, very dark chocolate) etc but I don’t like Aperol which is so sugary the bitterness seems weird with it

Good toffee though is very sweet, and irresistible

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:12 am

Oooh. I can’t be doing with Campari at all. I think it’s vile. I imagine it’s like drinking toilet cleaner. Suffs, Desiccated coconut is right up there on Mr Pig’s list.

Postby Suffs » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:32 am

I’ll have your share of Campari PepperP :cocktail:

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:46 am

Confession time. I've never liked Campari but thought it would be too common of me to admit it :lol:.

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:49 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Seatallan » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:12 am

:D :D :D

Can't be doing with Southern Comfort but that's mainly because an encounter when I was young and foolish resulted in the worst hangover I have ever had (and that's up against some stiff opposition I can tell you! :) )
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:13 am

Just read back. I adore artichokes, both versions.

When we used to do dinner parties about a hundred years ago I remember the vicar’s wife saying she wouldn’t eat melon. This was after I’d served melon as a starter . . . .

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:50 am

KeenCook2 wrote:Yup, "Green tea temperature: We recommend brewing green tea using water that is heated to 175 to 180 degrees. This water should be steaming briskly, but not yet boiling. Some speciality green teas, like Gyokuro, should be brewed at an even lower temperature, closer to 140 degrees."

We got a new kettle a couple of years ago that has several different temp settings - white tea, green tea, coffee etc. We've got used to it now, but when we first got it we really noticed the difference in our breakfast coffee!

I had heard that about Green Tea as I find that too bitter as well .... must try it at a lower temperature ... and ground coffee too, so what is the best temperature for that KC2 ?

Postby RockyBVI » Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:57 pm

Seatallan wrote::D :D :D

Can't be doing with Southern Comfort but that's mainly because an encounter when I was young and foolish resulted in the worst hangover I have ever had (and that's up against some stiff opposition I can tell you! :) )

I had a similar experience with Southern Comfort….

The one thing I can’t eat and the smell of makes me retch is shiitake mushrooms. There are things I would prefer not to eat but could force down but not these!

Postby Rainbow » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:44 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:
I had heard that about Green Tea as I find that too bitter as well .... must try it at a lower temperature ... and ground coffee too, so what is the best temperature for that KC2 ?

I don't really like green tea but find I can drink it with honey in. Actually, i put honey in most herbal teas - some of them are so tasteless it gives them some flavour!!

As for coffee, the temperature a lot of cafes serve it is luke-warm!! We always ask for it hot, as do lots of other people. The baristas probably think we are very ignorant :lol:

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:12 am

Isn’t that interesting? I have a couple of foodie friends who can’t abide honey in any form.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:07 am

I tried whelks once. I’m not keen.

Postby Busybee » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:35 am

Pepper Pig wrote:Isn’t that interesting? I have a couple of foodie friends who can’t abide honey in any form.

I really dislike honey too. Awkward when OH best friend keeps bees and keeps giving us a steady supply, fortunately my Dad does like it.

BB

Postby Suffs » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:19 am

Pepper Pig wrote:I tried whelks once. I’m not keen.

Chuck 'em over here ... I love them ... you could've guessed that couldn't you? :lol:

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:51 am

I have no objection to whelks, snails etc but can't really understand why people would seek them out. Without the garlic butter, vinegar or whatever they are usually drowned in I'm not sure any of them would have a really enjoyable taste or texture.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:04 pm

I’ve tried whelks in England, not enjoyed
Had them once in France, as the pre-starter in a good restaurant, absolutely :yum: I think they’d been simmered in white wine for a long time

I’m not a great fan of most honey, though I do like the Greek Attiki, but only on bread and butter and I’m not keen on elderflower, which is similar

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:14 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:
KeenCook2 wrote:Yup, "Green tea temperature: We recommend brewing green tea using water that is heated to 175 to 180 degrees. This water should be steaming briskly, but not yet boiling. Some speciality green teas, like Gyokuro, should be brewed at an even lower temperature, closer to 140 degrees."

Morning Pat! This is the kettle we have although it was around the £55 mark when we got it a good few years ago, as far as I recall ... we certainly didn't pay close on £100! And it was bought with present money from my elderly cousin.

The green tea temp is 80 degrees, actually the lowest of them all.

White tea is 85 degrees, Oolong 90, and coffee is 95 degrees.

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/17960/Sage-T ... lsrc=aw.ds

I have found that I prefer the coffee temperature, not just for the ground coffee we have at breakfast, but also with good quality instant.

If it died, I'm afraid I would have to replace like for like as we're pretty hooked on it now!

Postby Seatallan » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:55 pm

Suffs, I'll fight you for the whelks!! :yum
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Suffs » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:05 pm

Seatallan wrote:Suffs, I'll fight you for the whelks!! :yum

:gonzo

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox