Register

Favourite takeaways

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Favourite takeaways

Postby Amyw » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:30 pm

Don’t think we’ve had this conversation before . I know all of us have a keen interest in cooking , but I’m sure most of us indulge in a takeaway from time to time , so wondered what people’s favourite takeaways/orders from them

Re: Favourite takeaways

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:07 pm

I rarely have a takeaway - it never occurs to me as I normally eat alone, but I do treat myself to a KFC occasionally if I am in Uxbridge .. Does that count ?

Postby liketocook » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:11 pm

Has to be either dressed not battered fish and chips or the "set meal" for two (serves 3-4) from our local Indian restaurant. Mind you a KFC can hit the spot though I've not had one for years. I do like a Chinese takeaway and my favourite is Kung Pao King prawns with spicy noodles but unfortunately have to give them a miss these days as the salt/soy/MSG combo can guarantee a flare up.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:34 pm

I seldom have a full meal as takeaway, it never seems worth making the minimum order for delivery for one, and if I'm going to collect, I might as well eat in, after all I live within 10minutes walk of a lot of good places to eat

So it's mostly fish and chips, as for curry or Chinese I'd tend to go out

I am surprised what and how much people locally do get via Deliveroo, when Jay Rayner reviewed Schnitzel Forever the local Facebook group was full of people saying they got the food via Deliveroo, which did at least explain how they are managing with a tiny dining room and a big kitchen. Reviews were all favourable

When I can I do buy "street food" - falafel, samosas, burritos etc at lunch time, but as I've been unable to eat cumin or coriander for a while I haven't been able to, might risk next door's samosas & pakoras this week, they smell lovely

Postby RockyBVI » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:55 am

Having lived for years in a place where takeaway wasn't an option and the upheaval of moving countries, houses and jobs, we have had quite a few since we got back. Favourites are Vietnamese - either a bowl of Pho each and sharing some fresh spring rolls, or a Vietnamese curry and rice with a banana blossom salad. We also have a favourite Chinese takeaway that does a fantastic beef brisket dish. We always get enough to have leftovers.

Except when we go to the little Lebanese place around the corner for falafel, kibbeh, fattoush, hummus and moutabel.

We probably end up with a takeaway one every two weeks. Bad I know and will have to stop now we are settled!

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:44 am

Apart from fish and chips, I've only had takeaways at work or in a group at someone else's house. I've probably delivered more than I've eaten. It's a world I haven't explored much. I've had pizza quite a bit and Chinese - there was one at work which did crispy chicken balls to die for and another which did pretty good Burritos with a wide choice of fillings. Indian cuisine is not a favourite so I'd never choose it but I do remember a wonderful Korma when DD lived in Manchester.
There's just about everything to choose from round here and there's a Brazilian food outlet which sounds interesting but I'd be too embarrassed to order just for me and my friends wouldn't be interested.
Talking of Deliveroo, there was a girl at work who had ALL her meals delivered from breakfast onwards!

TBH, DS has been involved with the takeaway industry one way or another for much of his working life and I have seen some things too. I would want to know exactly where the food was coming from!

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:53 am

We rarely have takeaways, they become something of a treat when we do. These days it would be F&C very occasionally, especially at the seaside, or the local Chinese. There are several Chinese takeaways in Ware & Hertford, but no sit-down restaurants. There must be at least 45000 souls hereabouts, enough to keep four Thai and two Japanese restaurants going. I used to go to the local kebab place a bit but after the transplant we were a little more careful.

KFC opened a shop in Tottenham High Road in the 1970s I saw a very brief advert for it on (presumably) Thames TV or LWT. I felt compelled to get a bus down there and try it. For a few of my teenage years I loved it. Mrs B has never had KFC. A fried chicken shop opened down the road from here a few years ago, I bought some. She sort-of satisfied her curiosity, it was perfectly OK but a different brand.

Postby Seatallan » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:37 am

Fish & chips (and mushy peas) from the utterly fab Shap Chippy. They do utterly fab pizzas too. They were runners up in the 2020 best fish & chip outlets in the UK so it doesn't get much better.

If you're ever in our neck of the woods, don't miss them! :thumbsup
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Uschi » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:53 am

My mother would cook fresh food pretty much every day, but occasionally she called on the phone before coming home from work and we would venture to the chippie around the corner and take home chips, curry sausage, Schaschlik and potato croquettes - sometimes a rotisserie chicken. Not all at once, but these were our favourites. I am still partial to all those things, but you cannot get good Schaschlik anymore.

Our chippie roasted any leftover onions before closing until they were mush and fry the Schaschlik at the same time. He would then add various things to the onions until a thick brown sauce formed and the Schaschlik was then slow-cooked in that until it was melt-in-your-mouth tender.

These days the meat is tough, the onions on the skewers half raw and they all use the same comercial sauce.
One can still get a good Currywurst, though.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:54 pm

When I first moved in here and had a rubbish kitchen I often went to the takeaway over the road

It was run by a Moslem Chinese woman (chef) and her Turkish husband. I’d never heard of Uighur then but that’s what she was, not just an assumption on her making halal food, she wore Uighur style turbans and outfits much of the time.

It was all delicious, but the delicately spiced mutton hotpot was :yum:

If she p’d had space for eat in though…

Postby Busybee » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:14 pm

I love a takeaway, it feels like a real treat.

Indian is my favourite, closely followed by Chinese. I’ve never had a good takeaway pizza, they all seem so doughy. A good kebab can be amazing, but a good kebab is few and far between. We used to go to The Topkappi on Deansgate in Manchester, sit in as fab as the takeaway.

BB

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:30 pm

Takeaway isn't something that occurs to me very often.
We have a couple of Indian places locally which do delivery and takeaway but we find it easier to eat in. The food always seems better too.

We have a Chinese takeaway which I haven't been in for decades although I understand it has changed hands and is better now.

Fish and chips at the seaside, always.

The local chippy does all sorts of things and I enjoy their hot & spicy pizza 2 or 3 times a year. It is run by Asians so the pizza is topped with a spiced lamb mix.

McDonald's, Burger King, KFC... Wouldn't enter my head to go there.
They don't have an outlet in the small place where I live so it would mean getting in the car.
Not too fussed on the food so it's not a big deal.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:47 pm

I am utterly envious of all your takeaway choices.
Deliveroo hasn't arrived here yet.
Our choices are pizza, (no thanks) Chinese (hub's always surpass the local ones), kebabs (bleuggghh) and indian (and if I may say, mine are always better than the local offerings). Chish and fips has to be eaten fresh from the fryer.

I normally wouldn't even think of ordering one, but hub says I should 'treat myself' while he's in hospital and so I may well order Indian, as I wouldn't cook it just for me. It will probably do me 2 meals.

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:06 pm

A doner kebab from our local Cypriot shop is a rare solo treat these days. OH hates them. We have several very good, also Cypriot, fish and chippers locally though.

When OH was last hospitalized I found myself ordering a Domino’s pizza at 9.30 am one morning.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:44 pm

We occasionally get F & C from the local, which isn't bad. But having had the Waitrose breaded fish for the first time recently, I actually think that I'd prefer them to the chippy's fish and they're definitely a bit healthier! We never deep fry anything at home.

Otherwise we don't do "takeaways" - that said, OH really wants to try a Fulham kebab joint that Jay Rayner enthused about a few months ago.

However, we do treat ourselves to COOK meals from time to time, or Waitrose Indian prepared dishes, especially when they're on offer.
When we order from COOK, we tend to order dishes we wouldn't normally cook ourselvesv- they do a lovely Pork Dijon, and Lamb Shanks, neither of which are on our regular menus.

I have bought a COOK dessert for Christmas Day, again something I'd never make myself.

Rocky, where is the Lebanese you've mentioned? Is it on that little parade just next to Kew Bridge?

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:02 pm

Kebabs are immensely variable, says the woman who lives in Little Anatolia

A good one, after all, is just carefully marinated and grilled meat - even a doner is grilled meat, but cooked in a way you can't at home

Most of the local Turkish or Cypriot kebab shops take great care to cook the meat on a kebab just so, it's a genuine alternative to getting the BBQ going if done well, especially now they can get good flat pita bread and not just mass produced pita pockets to make a wrap with home made sauce (all much the same, but it is home made) and fresh salad veg

Having said which, I'm more inclined to go and eat in one of the restaurants, and get all the sides, the onions here don't usually go on the skewer but are grilled when there is spare capacity on the charcoal and served as a side salad dressed with pomegranate molasses and/or sumac

The difference between a pizza eaten in a restaurant just pulled out of the oven with sauce and cheese still bubbling and one pulled out of the same oven and left boxed for collection or delivery is one I learned the hard way in lockdown #one, never again

Postby RockyBVI » Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:34 pm

I'm with you on takeaway pizza Sue. We had one to try it and never again.

Yes KC2 - it is called Falafel and doesn't look very promising but is - a great place to pick up really nice tahini etc too.

Talking of kebabs - has anyone every eaten at Fez Mangal in Ladbroke Grove. I have twice with my mum (the last two times we were in London together - after the first time, she insisted the second). It is seriously good and well priced.

Postby herbidacious » Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:59 pm

I am always disappointed by takeaways, which is, in effect for me, either pizza or Indian food. The pizzas we order are always cold (although otherwise good) and Indian food is often be so so. Yes, you can put things in the over, but home delivery food is for when you are too tired to open a can of bake beans so this irks me.
I have never ordered any other type of food for delivery. There's not a lot of choice round here. A dozen of each of pizza and Indian of variable quality, and doubtless the same for Chinese (possible but generally not great for vegetarians so never order it). Can only do the chips in fish and chips. Kebabs are a no go. KFC et al: nil point. I don't do burgers.
It might be possible to order Turkish, but it would come from a little too far away for it to be hot on arrival.
There are a couple of places that deliver desserts but I am not tempted.
They have opened a hip-looking street food place in Beckenham but I suspect that again, it's not the sort of food that would arrive hot, so we will have to go to the restaurant at some point. (I suspect it's heaving with 20 somethings on a Friday and Saturday night though, so potentially not very Covid safe.)

Postby Amyw » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:15 pm

I’m lucky enough to have a fish and chip shop voted Britain’s best in my town and it is a real treat . I always really look forward to a Chinese but after I’ve eaten it , there’s always a bit of a feeling of anti climax . Rarely have an Indian , I think because I make a pretty decent curry myself , so it doesn’t seem as much of a treat .

Pizza I’ve always been a bit meh about . I’m not fussed enough by it to order it and I think the prices are crazy for what you get . I do have a bit of a guilty pleasure in McDonald’s/Burger King. I think partly being a child between two households in the 90s, they were a treat by my weekend dad

Postby herbidacious » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:13 pm

When I was growing up in the '70s and early '80s, the only purveyor of burgers in town was Wimpy or a cheap knock off down the market. The former was too expensive for my mother's budget. I think I managed to get a cut-priced one twice. (We did make them at home once or twice, but they tended to collapse so we gave up.) There is a correlation between things many people seem to like - crisps, fizzy drinks such as Coke, ice cream etc. - which I did not have as a child, save once in a blue moon, and me being quite indifferent about them now. That said, given my rather unvaried unadvenurous childhood/teenage diet, pretty much all the things I eat and like I didn't have until I left home, so maybe it's a coincidence.

I have probably had more burgers in the last year than in the last 20 on account of viable menu options being reduced to salad or a vegan burger in many places/pubs. I don't dislike them, but I don't like them enough to be 'worth the calories'.
Last edited by herbidacious on Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox