Register

Favourite takeaways

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Favourite takeaways

Postby Seatallan » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:21 pm

When I was a child a Whimpy opened in Winchester (our nearest town when I was growing up). My (considerably older) sister took me there as a treat shortly after it opened. It was just before Christmas and I was six years old. I still remember it vividly. We had burgers followed by knickerbocker glories and it was the most exciting thing that had ever happened to me. :D
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:37 pm

My dad, a bit of a food snob in many ways, would take me to Wimpy occasionally, somewhat surprisingly, because his friend the environmental health officer (think he was called a sanitary inspector back then), told him they did proper hygiene training for staff, a rarity in those days.

Certainly we both had delicate tummies and never suffered from eating in the friendly Wimpys we frequented. I think he had some variant on sausage, egg, and chips as the early menu included transport caff standards as well as American style fast food, I would have a burger or a Bender (a weirdly curled frankfurter)

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:11 pm

Dead jealous. My parents didn't think Wimpey looked the sort of place they'd be keen on. I always longed to go - mainly because of those wonderful tomato shaped sauce bottles I could see on the tables through the window. I honestly can't remember the first time I had a burger but I think I was relatively old.

DS has been involved with Dominos for over 20 years. They have very sophisticated ways of keeping the pizzas warm during delivery these days and I must say that those I've had in more recent have been hot. I love takeaway pizza.

Postby Wic » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:23 pm

We’d love to have a takeaway sometimes, or a delivery, but we live rather out of the way. Deliveries don’t come out this far and if we go and get something it’s a bit cold by the time we get it back. Consequently, on the rare occasions that we make the effort and go for fish and chips it’s a big treat, and requires the oven blasting away - it’s all a bit of an effort!

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:50 pm

Love a Thai or Vietnamese takeaway the best…we have a lovely Thai nearby. There’s also a very good Nepalese restaurant in the nearest town which does some wonderful take away food but is collection only.

Years ago on holiday in Rhodes we found a backstreet place which was essentially a window serving from a tiny kitchen. It was so busy with queues of locals. The souvlaki kebabs were that good that we got a taxi one hungover lunchtime from our hotel just to buy kebabs a second time and take them back to eat. We still dream about them :D

Postby halfateabag » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:19 am

On a Greek theme..... There is a pop up van jobby that appears in Devizes and does fantastic gyros kebabs. Very authentic and tasty and very filling...... :yum

Postby herbidacious » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:31 pm

What on earth made them choose (to keep) Wimpy as a name...? It started off in America (but was bought as a franchise by Lyons in the UK and later died a death in the U.S.)
Apparently the name comes from a minor character in Popeye as does, possibly the meaning of the term:

wimp (n.)
1920 (but not attested again until 1960), perhaps a clipped form of whimper (cf whimp, 1540s), perhaps influenced by J. Wellington Wimpy, comparatively unaggressive character in "Popeye" comics.

So maybe wimpy didn't mean wimpy here, either, in the 1950s.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:10 pm

It was certainly named after the character in Popeye, but I think when it was launched in 1954, just after rationing, most people likely to go would have identified the hamburger obsessed character from Popeye quite easily, and it would have kind of normalised the burger "sandwich", since at that time only Wimpy and Dagwood (in the Blondie cartoons) were regularly seen eating burgers that way

I'm pretty sure the character (J Wellington Wimpy) was named after the expression, not the other way round, and a a British chain they iirc got into hot water for using the name without permission, so were called Wimpey for years

Wimpy.jpg
Wimpy.jpg (57.91 KiB) Viewed 3017 times

Postby Lokelani » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:48 pm

We weren't really allowed take aways or sweets or anything much as kids! I guess we always lived fairly rurally too.

Still do in so much as no deliveries around here. Even though we're less than a mile outside a fairly large village. I guess we're just too far from any larger towns. No deliveroo etc. sadly.

Even pre COVID we didn't really bother going out to get a takeaway very often. It's almost as much trouble as cooking I guess.

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:56 pm

When I was a child, my Dad worked on Saturday mornings.
He would come home about 1pm bearing the meat for Sunday dinner and fish and chips for us all.

That was the only takeaway we ever had.

Postby aero280 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:43 pm

When I was young, fish and chips were the only takeway available locally. If you went into town there were a couple of pasty shops, but they were commercial in that they were filled with mince and mash.

When I came to London we could get Chinese and Indian. Later when we moved here there was a very good Kebab takeaway, but ti didn't last long. The owner moved up the road and opened a restaurant and left the kebab plaxe to his brother-in-law. Sadly BiL couldn't organise anything properly, how about an hour and a half wait for a takeaway!!! :o

For a while there was genuine home-made pizza and pasta place, but that family also moved away to open a restaurant.

So we are back to fish & chips and indian.

Postby Seatallan » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:35 pm

We're intending to pick up kebabs tomorrow evening (first time we've tried local kebab shop) after trip into town to see the Penrith Players production of 'A Christmas Carol'. Really looking forward to it!
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox