Register

Gravy (vegetarian)

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Gravy (vegetarian)

Postby Binky » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:10 pm

We don't do roast turkey at Xmas but usually have a nut roast. Without roasting juices, what is the best gravy to make without too much faff?

We don't use Bisto or oXo but usually use veg bouillon when doing 'ordinary' dinners.

Re: Gravy (vegetarian)

Postby Sloe-Gin » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:50 pm

I'd do a shallot gravy, by sweating down the chopped shallots in oil of your choice. Add garlic, herbs etc, then a little sugar.
Caramelise, then add red wine, a little at a time, till reduced, then gradually add more. Try for taste
Add more wine, bouillon and thicken if necessary.
It's no faff. :yum
Drink the rest of the wine :wino

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:58 pm

I'd go the onion/shallot route too

Over the years I've done variations on Rose Elliot's vegetarian gravy this one has red wine and soy or tamari, personally I'd cook the onions longer and slower until well coloured then cook the flour a bit less
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... .shopping5

But the basic method stays the same whether you use red wine, rather less marsala (possibly the best) or sherry or eschew the booze and use a little tomato purée to add richness

But like SG I regard it as a method, more than a recipe, and make it up as I go along

Postby Binky » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:11 pm

Showing my ignorance, but what is the difference in taste between a shallot and any other sweet onion? I've seen them on sale and in recipes of course but never been tempted to use them

Postby scullion » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:27 pm

'fraid i cheat.
i fry a load of sliced onions, add a load of dijon mustard, a few pinches of dried thyme, some black pepper - and original bisto powder made up with water (it's vegetarian).
you could use peanut butter as a thickener, instead. with the other stuff it loses a lot of it's peanut taste.
we're not overly fond of gravy with wine in it.

bisto ingredients -
Potato Starch,
Salt,
Wheat Starch,
Colour (Ammonia Caramel),
Onion Powder,
Inactive Yeast Powder (contains Barley, Wheat)

Postby Suffs » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:36 pm

Bisto powder and a smidgeon of Marmite works really well with a nut roast type dish ... a squeeze of tomato puree is a good addition.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:40 pm

Binky wrote:Showing my ignorance, but what is the difference in taste between a shallot and any other sweet onion? I've seen them on sale and in recipes of course but never been tempted to use them

The difference in flavour between shallots and a medium strength onion is too subtle to easily describe, but I like them and would use them in this kind of gravy if I had them, and I often do have echallion (banana) shallots as one is often just right when cooking for one
If you like onions at all you won’t dislike them, so why not try them?

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox