Register

Your Last Supper

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Your Last Supper

Postby Suffs » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:48 am

Suelle wrote:I've changed my mind - I want to eat here: https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/n ... out-crowds ...

I'll come with you please Suelle ... but only if Jay Rayner can make it a threesome :wino

Postby Suelle » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:50 am

:thumbsup

I hope Stokey Sue could join us too - it must be quite local to her.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:01 pm

Come for a visit Suelle - it's about 600m from where I'm sitting!

Postby slimpersoninside » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:53 pm

Due to a health issue at the moment I am having to be very careful about food poisoning so many foods are out.

Take aways are not a good idea so are off the menu. This of course means I'm craving a decent Chinese meal (unlike Indian the supermarket versions don't appeal) so I would have to go with a Chinese take away!

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:15 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Come for a visit Suelle - it's about 600m from where I'm sitting!

I was about to suggest another mini-meet.... but might have to be after the new guidelines re the Omicrom virus have eased off :( :( :( :thumbsdown

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:40 pm

slimpersoninside wrote:Due to a health issue at the moment I am having to be very careful about food poisoning so many foods are out.

Take aways are not a good idea so are off the menu. This of course means I'm craving a decent Chinese meal (unlike Indian the supermarket versions don't appeal) so I would have to go with a Chinese take away!

Hopefully you're able to cook and a good excuse to order a Fuchsia Dunlop or recipe book of choice or cook from one if you already have! Or go to Maggie Zhao's Omnivore's Cookbook site. Make up a menu, get in the bits you don't have and have a ball :D

Last Supper OP = tad macabre :? :lol:

Postby scullion » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:17 pm

mine would be comfort food rather than anything posh and complicated.
cpo - cheese, potato and (fried) onion, layered up, ending in a layer of cheese, original bisto gravy to fill the gaps and nearly cover, and baked until everything is cooked, cheese melted and golden.

the meal i would chose if it was the only one i could eat for the rest of my days (or my 'desert island dish') would be potato in its jacket, with lashings of butter and salt, filled with grated cheddar and branston type pickle.
seems like i have a theme...

Postby slimpersoninside » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:52 pm

ZeroCook wrote:
slimpersoninside wrote:Due to a health issue at the moment I am having to be very careful about food poisoning so many foods are out.

Hopefully you're able to cook and a good excuse to order a Fuchsia Dunlop or recipe book of choice or cook from one if you already have! Or go to Maggie Zhao's Omnivore's Cookbook site. Make up a menu, get in the bits you don't have and have a ball :D

Last Supper OP = tad macabre :? :lol:

I'd love to be able to really treat us to a good home cooked meal. I'm the food provider normally but it's all hands to the pumps between hubby and me at the moment. My treatment is harsh and taking quite a toll on me so, for the time being, food is but fuel, a mixture of the simpler elements from our 'usuals' when I can, hubby pulling something out of the bag and some ready meals thrown in.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:37 pm

Scullion, that cpo thing sounds amazing.

Postby scullion » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:29 am

its our go-to comfort food and can be speeded up by pre-boiling the 1-2cm thick sliced potatoes.
(onions sliced in thick rings)
cooked in a casserole or equivalent type pyrex etc.
it was actually one of my school dinners (vegetarian school).

Postby RockyBVI » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:12 am

OneMoreCheekyOne wrote:Scullion, that cpo thing sounds amazing.

I was about to say the same thing. Sounds v v good. I’m giving it a try :yum

Postby Busybee » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:50 am

Any indication of timing Scully, either par boiled or not? It sound delicious, especially in this cold weather.

BB

Postby scullion » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:27 am

either - it's very forgiving.
you can put it all in a casserole, raw, and leave it chuntering along for a few hours if you have something else to do or fry the onions, boil/parboil the (sliced) potatoes and whack it in for half an hour if you need to eat quicker. i would say the only rule is to cook the (original) bisto gravy powder (i use the potato cooking water if doing it the quick way) so that you don't get a layer of very thick gravy at the bottom and a thinner layer at the top.
( i'd say about 180°c - ish but even that isn't written in stone if you're leaving it to cook long and slow - hotter if you're in a hurry!)

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:38 am

I do a similar dish - if in a hurry I put everything in a suitable lidded casserole and par-cook in the microwave, which means the potatoes in the venture are cooked through

The only caveat is that I only put cheese on top after microwaving, I put lardons between the layers, and I suppose there’s a possibility of turning the cheese rubbery in the microwave

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:19 pm

slimpersoninside wrote:it's all hands to the pumps between hubby and me at the moment. My treatment is harsh and taking quite a toll on me so, for the time being, food is but fuel,

So sorry to hear that slimpers :newhuggy :newhuggy

Postby Meganthemog » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:31 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:Freshly dressed crab for me..........plus more.....[insert greedy icon here]. plus Penclawdd cockles :yum Laverbread & bacon a close second. :yum - with fresh scallops (roe included) alongside all dishes.
Then simply fried John Dory - my favourite fish.

A third would be steamed steak & kidney pud.....slathering now.....!!

I am so lucky that I can get all of these in Swansea market at any time - and often do. OH and I pick up the cockles and then drive to the marina and eat them sitting watching the sea. Bliss.

Postby slimpersoninside » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:36 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:
slimpersoninside wrote:it's all hands to the pumps between hubby and me at the moment. My treatment is harsh and taking quite a toll on me so, for the time being, food is but fuel,

So sorry to hear that slimpers :newhuggy :newhuggy

Thanks Lush :thumbsup . Onwards and upwards!

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:02 pm

Sorry you are having those issues slimpersoninside :newhuggy

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:08 pm

Onwards and upwards indeed Slimpers! I do so very hope all with you will be a much better place soon.

Meganthemog wrote:I am so lucky that I can get all of these in Swansea market at any time

Stop it.............Hiraeth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Grasshopper » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:48 am

A very large chicken leg with plenty of mash, veg & gravy, & HM yorkies
AND choc sponge with choc custard!

YUM!
:yum
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

PreviousNext