Register

Christmas Pudding

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Christmas Pudding

Postby Gruney2 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:55 am

For very many years, a small Christmas pudding has found its way to me - made by an old friend and neighbour when we lived in the NW. Because of Covid, this year it will not. I don't want to make one, and wouldn't really want to buy one, and am wondering if anyone might have a bright idea for a substitute, please. I want something to make, rather than buy, and have with cream - flavoured or otherwise, and suitable to follow a roast dinner. Size - one or two portions.

TIA.

Re: Christmas Pudding

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:17 pm

Bought ones can be very nice, try M&S or somewhere like that (though I think Aldi has come up trumps in taste tests before).

Failing that, you could make a small rich fruit cake and have a piece with your choice of cream, custard etc or have something completely different that you like (trifle, chocolate sponge, Viennetta or whatever). My mother's Christmas treat was always a tin of strawberries!

What would you say was your favourite pud to have for a treat?

Postby Sloe-Gin » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:24 pm

I'd do a syrup sponge and custard. Tesco does one that serves 3.
Having said that, some of the 'mature' bought ones (and I rate Aldi here) are very good. Or maybe a local deli has 'artisan' ones?

Postby Meganthemog » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:31 pm

I would make a sponge pudding with a lemon sauce. Something with a bit of sharpness to follow a rich meal. Maybe some sultanas in the sponge - you could pre-soak them in booze first.

Postby Busybee » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:37 pm

I always make a few individual trifles for those who don’t like Christmas pudding, usually raspberry trifle to provide a bit of sharpness. A frozen bag works well. I make them in individual glasses so that DS doesn’t eat the lot in one sitting, he is a bit of a trifle monster! Plus they keep well for a few days in the fridge.

I like the idea of a steamed lemon sponge but that could take up a fair bit of time whilst also turning out the main meal. Can you make them in advance? I e never actually made one.

BB

Postby Suelle » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:04 pm

Sticky toffee pudding? The recipe I use makes 7 individual puddings, but they will freeze well. I usually make it in one 9" square baking dish, pour half the sauce over the top, and then just reheat portions in the m/wave.

I don't use medjool dates, just basic dates from the dried fruit section, and soak in tea rather than boiling water.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/ult ... ee-pudding
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:12 pm

Assuming you like Christmas pud and would like something vaguely Christmassy, what about a mincemeat based dessert?

I know Delia has got a quick Christmas pudding recipe involving mincemeat, that you could make as much or as little of as you want, or something like a spiced apple & mincemeat strudel. A sponge pud with mincemeat would be a straightforward alternative.

I've made dried fruit compote that is quite similar, soaking and then simmering vine fruits, prunes and apricots with sliced oranges or satsumas, booze & spices. (I keep the peel on the slices so go for organic unwaxed). That's quite nice cold with a blob of cream or Greek yogurt & honey.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:14 pm

A mincemeat plate pie is nice. It always seems different to individual mince pies.

Postby Uschi » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:18 pm

Does it have to be close to a Christmas pudding or would a mousse au chocolat do, too? For a festive touch, steep amarena cherries or morello cherries from a jar in Kirsch and add them. :P

Postby Seatallan » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:38 pm

I was also going to suggest Sticky Toffe Pudding.... :thumbsup :yum
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:39 pm

How about a posset?
I make lemon or raspberry ones.
They are straightforward to make and quite indulgent, especially when paired with a piece of shortbread.

When I was batch cooking for mum I often made raspberry posset, left some in the fridge and then froze the rest in individual portions.
It was a bit like a rich ice cream.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/cha ... ry-possets
I used a recipe similar to this, mine didn't have champagne, but why not?

Postby Suelle » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:42 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:A mincemeat plate pie is nice. It always seems different to individual mince pies.

A layer of mincemeat topped with frangipane makes a very good tart, which would keep for a few days.

Postby Gruney2 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:04 pm

Thanks everyone - loads of great ideas. I'll let you know when the day comes.

Postby Suffs » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:08 pm

We're thinking of alternatives here too ... DS hopes to join us and he's teetotal and not keen on Christmas pud and we think we'd like to go for something lighter this year ...

puds we are considering are a steamed Golden Syrup sponge pud with pouring cream, chocolate mousse, or a Palava (as OH's late granny used to call it) ... I was thinking of making one with pear and passion fruit.

On the other hand, a recipe from my [very] old Good Housekeeping 'Cooking for Today' from the late 60s/early 70s has just sprung to mind ...
a classic Vacherin with cream and sweet chestnut purée .... gorgeous to look at and such a treat to eat ... and they can be dressed up to look really special .... I could make small individually sized ones so he could have one to take home with him ...

Postby Suelle » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:47 pm

If anyone wants a large pudding, even though Gruney doesn't, one of the best I've ever had is the Three Chimneys Steamed Marmalade Pudding.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ing-recipe

One point to watch out for is to mix in the bicarbonate of soda very well. Incomplete mixing gives a mottled colour to the pudding, for some reason.

Postby scullion » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:03 pm

Badger's Mate wrote:what about a mincemeat based dessert?

that's what i was thinking, along those lines, earlier but the green banner got me.
i was going to suggest a mincemeat and apple crumble.

Postby smitch » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:15 pm

I usually make trifle too, plus some melting middle chocolate puddings. I use a Nigella recipe for these and use a bit of orange chocolate in the mix for extra flavour.

I also love frangipane tarts, they look and taste special but are pretty easy to make.

Postby Uschi » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:25 pm

Can you get Dr Oetker's red wine dessert? It's a packet mix with a small portion red wine and very festive. Decorate with some chocolate ornament and enjoy.

Postby Binky » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:59 pm

Suffs wrote:We're thinking of alternatives here too ... DS hopes to join us and he's teetotal and not keen on Christmas pud and we think we'd like to go for something lighter this year ...

puds we are considering are a steamed Golden Syrup sponge pud with pouring cream, chocolate mousse, or a Palava (as OH's late granny used to call it) ... I was thinking of making one with pear and passion fruit.

On the other hand, a recipe from my [very] old Good Housekeeping 'Cooking for Today' from the late 60s/early 70s has just sprung to mind ...
a classic Vacherin with cream and sweet chestnut purée .... gorgeous to look at and such a treat to eat ... and they can be dressed up to look really special .... I could make small individually sized ones so he could have one to take home with him ...

I was going to suggest the very same thing. A few bought meringue nests (I used to use M&S chewy ones) and a creamy mix of chestnut puree, fresh cream and a bit of sherry if liked. Piled into the nests and some grated chocolate on top, looks lovely and definitely different.

Postby Wic » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:16 pm

I am in awe of you all. After a Christmas lunch we are incapable of eating anything else. I know I’m not alone on this board in having a Christmas pudding that qualifies as an ancient monument! It’s always there, just in case, but has never been needed.

What about mincemeat and a bit of brandy mixed into vanilla ice cream?

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox