Register

Cake tin sizes

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Cake tin sizes

Postby Gruney2 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:15 am

I would like to make an apple cake today or tomorrow - actually, it's Uschi's Grandmother's Schlupfkuchen, which she gave us the recipe for way back in 2009. It calls for a 26cm springform. I have a 24cm and a 28cm, but no 26 cm - which do you think would be the better option, please?

Re: Cake tin sizes

Postby Suelle » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:28 am

I'd use the 24cm and cook for a little longer, if you don't want to adjust the quantities of ingredients.

If the apple is in a middle layer, rather than pieces spread through the cake, it might be a good idea to use a little less.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Suelle » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:33 am

I just realised I should qualify that answer. I was thinking of my apple filled cake which isn't very deep!

It sounds a huge cake - if it's also deep cake, don't fill the cake tin more than 2/3. Cook any excess batter in ramekins or cupcake papers. If you can't use all the batter in the tin, then the cooking time will probably be the same, but keep testing.

Postby Gruney2 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:40 am

Thanks a lot Suelle - it's not a deep cake, and the apples sit on top of the batter, which rises through them as it cooks. I think I'll use the 24 - it's of a much better quality than the 28.

Postby Suelle » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:44 am

Gruney2 wrote:Thanks a lot Suelle - it's not a deep cake, and the apples sit on top of the batter, which rises through them as it cooks. I think I'll use the 24 - it's of a much better quality than the 28.

I think you'll be OK. Start testing the cake at the suggested cooking time, but be prepared for it to take longer, as it will be deeper than intended.

Postby Gruney2 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:53 am

Thanks Sue.

Postby aero280 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:57 am

If you are using a smaller tin and filling it deeper, I would turn the heat down a touch and cook longer. Otherwise there will be a risk of it burning on the outside.

Also consider covering with tinfoil for the early part of the bake, which will also prevent the top scorching. I don’t know the cake, but I would imagine that some direct heat on top to caramelise the apple would be advantageous in the latter stages.

Postby Uschi » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:14 am

Gruney, if I am not too late: all of the above sound good.

What I do is along the ramekin idea (if you have a freezer, you can freeze the small cake), but I use "tip out" jars with a twist-off lid for the excess dough. I just butter them and then use them like tins. The mini-cakes usually take as long as the big ones. Only fill the jar halfway, or the dough will rise out of the jar.

I get them out before the proper cake and fasten the lid. After a while a vacuum will form and you have a mini-cake that will last for months.
As you cannot use half an apple I would just cut one up a bit and mix it under the dough that goes into the jar.

By tip-out jar I mean one that has no "neck", i.e. where the opening is at least as big as the widest part so you can tip out your cake later.

Postby Uschi » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:21 am

As for covering the top of the cake, I would watch it and only cover it when it turns a nice colour.

Postby Gruney2 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:04 pm

Thank you all.

Postby Busybee » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:10 pm

Great idea about Mini cakes Uschi, I assume it would work for all types of cake?

BB

Postby Uschi » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:54 pm

I am not sure BB, but it is fairly versatile. Sponge mixes and the like will certainly work well. I made chocolate cherry cakes, marbled cakes, lemon cakes and what have you. With and without fruit.

I am not sure about baked cheesecakes and yeast cakes.

Basically you need the right jars, butter them (a dusting of breadcrumbs or flour on the bottom works well, too) add the dough (just under halfway) and bake them without the lids on. These go on straight after they come out of the oven and as with jams a vacuum will form.

When it comes to eating them, sometimes the cake will oblige and slide out, at other times runnning a knife around the edges will do. I think I only ever had one accident.

A 400-450 g jar can feed two. The portions are big enough to hit the spot.

Postby slimpersoninside » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:40 pm

Loving the idea of cooked cakes in a jar! :thumbsup . I'm off to look for a supplier of those jars :lol: .

Do you think fruit cake would work too?

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:45 pm

Didn't someone say before that Bonne Maman jars work?

Postby Uschi » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:48 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Didn't someone say before that Bonne Maman jars work?

Yes, they do! It does not matter whether the jars' sides are straight or tapered (opening wider than the bottom), both work equally well.

Debbie, I think it would work. No harm in trying. Simply use a smaller tin and bake one or two jars full of what you have left over.

Postby slimpersoninside » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:24 pm

Thank you Uschi.

Good to hear about Bonne Maman jars - I think I might have strawberry jam on my toast tomorrow morning to empty one jar, we have about half a jar of blueberry and I'm going to go and have a look in the cupboard to see if we have any empty ones :woohoo: .

I feel a bit of experimentation may be in order ;) .

Postby Uschi » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:08 pm

I shall look forward to all your news!!!

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox