Register

What will be on your Christmas table?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What will be on your Christmas table?

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:02 pm

I had the brass angel chimes from a Swedish visitor, in the 60s, nearly slung it out because I couldn't get the right candles, then Ikea started selling them, but it did finally get damaged and discarded

Postby Uschi » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:04 pm

We had that one, too, at some time, Sue.

Postby Suffs » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:12 pm

Ma bought that one from a department store in Ipswich when I was about ten. She was very fond of it.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:03 pm

My ma bought one when I was about 5 in London. I think they may have been quite new then. I still have it but it looks very tatty. I bought a new onec a couple of years ago and was so disappointed. It doesn't line up properly for the heat to propel it. The old one - now over 60 years old, works perfectly.

Postby Kacey » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:29 am

Thanks for the heads up re T K Maxx Sue, popped in last night and they have a really good range of crackers and other decorations, all very reasonably priced. Didn't have time to browse yesterday but will have another look tonight.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:27 pm

The Aldi Christmas food catalogue has just landed on my doormat. I know from experience that the food never looks quite the same in reality as it does in the tarted up photos but some of the things look very nice. I rarely go to Aldi as they don't stock everything on my average shopping list but I might visit soon! I usually find Lidl more tempting - I wonder what they've got?

I plan to have Christmas D ay on my own without much ceremony and family entertaining over the days that follow. I'm thinking I could manage a little bit of lobster on Christmas Day ....

ooh, sorry, I thought this thread was about food and now I can't delete it!
Last edited by Earthmaiden on Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Seatallan » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:37 pm

I have a snowflake candle chime. We had a similar one when I was a child and I was so pleased when I found my present one at a local craft hall a couple of years ago. Makes me very happy when it spins. :thumbsup
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:40 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:The Aldi Christmas food catalogue has just landed on my doormat. I know from experience that the food never looks quite the same in reality as it does in the tarted up photos but some of the things look very nice. I rarely go to Aldi as they don't stock everything on my average shopping list but I might visit soon! I usually find Lidl more tempting - I wonder what they've got?

I plan to have Christmas D ay on my own without much ceremony and family entertaining over the days that follow. I'm thinking I could manage a little bit of lobster on Christmas Day ....

ooh, sorry, I thought this thread was about food and now I can't delete it!

Ha, all you need to add is that you'll have a Christmas candle on your table :lol: :lol:

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:11 am

:lol: :lol:

Postby Meganthemog » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:27 pm

I used to keep my Thomas dinner service - plain white with a thin silver edge - for best until I realised that it wasn't being used very often. So I ditched all my other plates and just use the Thomas - well if my family aren't worth using the best for who is!
My Christmas table is always the same - red tablecloth and napkins with holly on that my mum bought me about 30 years ago. I have a couple of Christmas plates that she also bought me. Crackers from TK Maxx as they usually have some very expensive looking ones that are only about £10. My turkey plate was my mum's - I have no idea what design it is but it is a huge platter that holds the whole bird - this only comes out at Christmas time.
We used to have one of those gilt cherub chimes too - until I put it on top of the tv one year (when tv's were huge great boxes) and the candles melted from the heat of the tv.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox