Register

Food advertising

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Food advertising

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:33 pm

I saw this in Waitrose this morning and I honestly don't think I have ever seen anything foodie more joyless.

https://linwoodshealthfoods.com/product ... gIyX_D_BwE

Re: Food advertising

Postby Sloe-Gin » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:42 pm

That's just the kind of thing my virtuous nutritional therapist friend would buy.
It would be used in her everything free cooking, alongside her other virtuous, joyless foods!!

Postby scullion » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:14 pm

but have you tried it?

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:16 pm

That’s my point Scully. The advertising is so awful, the price so high, I wouldn’t even be tempted.

Postby Suelle » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:19 pm

I saw grain-free granola on the cereals shelf in Waitrose - it contained nuts, seeds and coconut oil, if I remember correctly.

I can see why some people might want to buy it, but would they be looking on the cereals shelf if they didn't eat grains?
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby scullion » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:27 pm

yeah, but that's waitrose - you can get a whole kilo for not much more online - and the advertising is better.

did you know that charlemagne made it law that the population of france had to eat linseed because of the health benefits?

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:41 pm

My point is that the advertising is so dreadful I would not be attracted by the product. No matter how worthy.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:17 pm

What you've shown seems to be a page from a website from which you order the item rather than an advert. One would assume you had already done some homework by then and would know why you wanted it. I agree that it would not stand as an attractive advert elsewhere.

As for the no-grain. I think people on low carb diets would be looking for the best they could get away with for breakfast so the cereal aisle (which is already full of junk) makes sense and would be pleased to see something like that.

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:25 pm

That would be because I’m too stupid to post photos on this site EM. The product looked even worse on display amongst other joyless items. There was a whole section, and it wasn’t the vegan one.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:42 pm

The only thing I've ever knowingly used shelled hemp seed for is to bait fish hooks

But funnily enough, I nearly bought some today, in a pack of Aldi mixed seeds for adding to cereals and baking, but it also contained quite a lot of linseed, which I dislike so I bought pumpkin seeds instead

Someone in Waitrose customer relations likes discouraging customers, if you read the information at point of sale for Seville oranges apparently they are "only" for marmalade (orangeade, marinades, and home made liqueurs still legal as far as I know), and similarly the only use they know for celeriac is soup, or mash if you are intrepid, remoulade not on their radar (I saw these some time ago and they may have recanted, but I don't think so)

The lack of imagination (or ability to read Larousse or use Google) is shocking

But it plays to a section of the public, have you noticed that if you Google an ingredient the related searches are mainly "is X healthy?"

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:44 pm

Waitrose sell celeriac remoulade alongside the coleslaw products, maybe they don't want the punters to make it for themselves. :D

Postby Suffs » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:18 pm

Just a thought but maybe someone living on their own baulks at buying a whole celeriac if they just fancy some remoulade with a piece of baked chicken breast or whatever. I used to wonder who bought small portions of salary stuff like that … but watching our neighbour (in her mid to late 80s) doing her shopping, I can see a demand. She loves house good food and has quite varied tastes, but a small appetite and not a lot of energy.
And if the French regularly buy pots of celeriac remoulade from the deli, which they certainly seem to do, perhaps there’s a real demand for it here too.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:42 pm

No Suffs, I fly the flag for solo eaters, but a person on their own doesn't want a whole celeriac worth of soup or mash either, if you tell them it has 3 uses surely people in smaller households are far more likely to take one home and do several things?

That you can buy celeriac remoulade ready made, and many people do so makes no difference really; you can buy instant mash and various chilled and frozen potato preparations, but they still label the raw potatoes reasonably accurately to tell what the different varieties are good for, and if they are catering for single people, they might like to sell main crop potatoes in smaller amounts than 2.5 kg (I end up buying packs of 4 baking potatoes)

Also, I don't think they sold the remoulade when I first saw the information!

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox