Register

Retro food

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Retro food

Postby Seatallan » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:17 pm

aero280 wrote:All that talk of TUC, etc. reminds me of the Limits slimming biscuits of the 1970's. I tried them once but they didn't work.

I remember them!

Can you still get Nimble bread? ('She flies like a bird in the skyyyy....' :) )
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:33 pm

liketocook wrote: :yum :yum had forgotten about those, we sometimes used Mars Bars :yum

Decadence! That sounds even better!

I remember Limmits - I think you had to try them more than once and use as part of a calorie controlled diet, aero :lol:. I used them for lunch for a while. I don't think it ever dawned on me I could have eaten a similar number of calories with many other cheaper crackers!

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:37 pm

You can get a version of Nimble but of course they can’t advertise it for weight loss now

https://www.hovis.co.uk/nimble/nimble-wholemeal

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:42 pm

Sorry, replied to this on the wrong thread. Brain is addled. Slimcea was my mum’s choice.

Postby Renee » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:29 pm

[quote="Earthmaiden"][/quote]

I used to like the savoury Limmits which did work for me. I seem to remember that they were nutritionally balanced. They were alright to replace the occasional meal.

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:56 pm

If I remember rightly Renee you bought them in the chemist.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:05 pm

Limmits and Trims and Boots own brand, all bought in the pharmacy

They claimed to be nutritionally balanced, but of course were pretty low in protein and high in refined sugar and fairly high in fat, possibly hydrogenated fat guessing by the texture of the filling in the sandwich biscuits They certainly didn't fit current advertising and nutrition standards; you'd probably have done as well with the same number of custard creams and a multivitamin tablet, replacing a whole meal with 3 or 4 biscuits is a pretty sharp calorie reduction

Anyone remember Ayds? Soft chewy caramel toffees, you ate one or two 30 minutes before a meal to raise your blood sugar and so reduce you appetite, which is ok in theory, but I'm not sure it worked in practice. HIV did for the brand, but advertising standards would have done it anyway.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:21 pm

The factories where a lot most the villagers worked was Sanderson (Wallpaper and curtaining) in Uxbridge and EMI in Hayes, along with Nestlés .... so if you drove through Hayes all you could smell was coffee, but those who knew someone working at EMI got the very early pressings of the Beatles Albums almost before they were in the shops. I got enough of very popular Sanderson print fabric that did me for full length curtains in my lounge all for about £5

We had an ice-cream man come round the streets called Icey Jack... only vanilla ice cream, in cornets and wafers made with a little metal contraption. He also sold Lucozade which for us was a rare luxury only if we were ill ... Once we were grown up and could afford our own, it never tasted the same. :thumbsdown

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:25 pm

I was always given Lucozade when I was ill, and still associate the taste with sickness.
It came in a bobbly bottle, covered in orange cellophane.
Last edited by WWordsworth on Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:27 pm

Yes, that's how I remember it WW :thumbsup

Postby oat » Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:52 pm

I adore lucozade and would happily choose it over any other drink. I had a breakdown in 1990 and survived on lucozade and cadburys creme eggs. Not healthy, not good but......
I have just come back from four weeks in Lanzerote and although i looked for it I never saw it on sale.
I am going to Melrose on Sunday then on to the Highlands for 10 days and will buy plenty there, ecclefechan tart and haggis go well with it! :D :D

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:54 pm

The best part of being unwell was being allowed to peel the yellow cellophane off the Lucozade and looking through it to make the room look yellow :D

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:36 pm

There’s a nice story of someone at Great Ormond Street, long before people were used to getting freebies for PR, asking Beecham if Lucozade could be used for diabetes testing in children (to give a measured amount of glucose)

He was rather surprised but pleased when a rep turned up asking how many free cases of Lucozade he’d like, oh and how many colouring books for while the kids were hanging round? Some coffee mugs for the staff? :lol:

The Lucozade bottles (and Ribena, also made by Beecham) had a bigger deposit than ordinary pop bottles and were nearly always returned to the chemists

Postby aero280 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:02 am

There was the old joke about Nimble bread, which was advertised as helping you lose weight.

A lady wanting to lose weight changed to eating a loaf of Nimble a day. But she didn't lose weight quickly enough, so she ate two loaves a day!.

Postby liketocook » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:40 am

Yes you knew you were properly poorly if your Mum bought you Lucozade or Ferguzade (not sure if that was purely a Scottish thing)

Postby smitch » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:07 pm

For us it was either Lucozade or 7 Up.

Postby Gruney2 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:55 pm

Our village chip shop used to sell bottles of Tizer. IIRC, the slogan was "Tizer the Appetizer".

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:28 pm

Yes, Tizer the Appetizer

I preferred Jusoda, which was juice based, a bit like Orangina without the bits

Never heard of Ferguzade! I think probably just Scottish, Google tells me it was made in Forfar

Postby liketocook » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:19 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Yes, Tizer the Appetizer

I preferred Jusoda, which was juice based, a bit like Orangina without the bits

Never heard of Ferguzade! I think probably just Scottish, Google tells me it was made in Forfar

I thought probably it was just available up here.

Postby scullion » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:13 am

the only time i can remember asking for a bottle of lucosade - and getting it - was when i was six, in hospital, having my tonsils out.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox