Register

Retro food

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Retro food

Postby Seatallan » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:37 pm

Like many of you, when I was a child Lucozade was what you had when you were poorly. I loved the yellow cellophane wrap. I used to cut it up into rectangles and pretend it was money. No idea why.... :)
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby herbidacious » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:08 pm

Same here re 'medicinal' element. I had forgotten about the lovely orange noisy cellophane!

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:36 pm

I was very ill as a child. Lots of bad coughs and colds, tonsils, the lot. At 6 I had the tonsils out as you did in those days and it was discovered I had a hole in the heart. Surgery followed - mum tells everyone I was the first child in the world to have this but I have a friend who is Finnish who had hers done before me. :lol: I missed nearly a year of school and was always hoping I would be given Lucozade but my parents thought it was a load of rubbish so I only ever got a couple of bottles. :twisted: :twisted:

I occasionally buy the Sports drinks but the wrapping is certainly not the same.

Postby Binky » Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:45 pm

I haven't read all the posts and hope this hasn't been posted before, but there's a lovely little booklet about Retro Food

and here are the recipes

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:55 pm

Oh Binky, that’s almost a definitive list of the dishes! :wino

In 1970 I had a part time job in a hotel and overdosed on duck à l’orange as it was one of the few dishes not cooked to order so often left for staff supper

Would still eat most of those quite happily, should make mushrooms à la Grecque sometime

A schnitzel restaurant has just opened locally, I’ve heard good things

Postby Binky » Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:09 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Oh Binky, that’s almost a definitive list of the dishes! :wino

In 1970 I had a part time job in a hotel and overdosed on duck à l’orange as it was one of the few dishes not cooked to order so often left for staff supper

Would still eat most of those quite happily, should make mushrooms à la Grecque sometime

A schnitzel restaurant has just opened locally, I’ve heard good things

Hm, duck a l'orange. Have you seen Raymond Blanc's book 'Simply Raymond'? He gives a recipe for Marmalade Duck. It's a new book so not really retro but looks easy-peasy (4 tbs of marmalade in 1tb of water with a dash of red wine vinegar).

Postby Seatallan » Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:18 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:
Would still eat most of those quite happily

Me too! I was salivating at some of them. Haven't had trout with almonds for yonks. :yum
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:21 pm

To be fair to chef, his duck à l’orange was very good, and I think very carefully made with a reduction of duck stock, oranges and a splash of Grand Marnier.

My method for duck à l’orange is Auntie Jeannie’s. Roast a duck and make a thin clear gravy with pan drippings and giblet stock. To a sauce boat of this add 2 heaped TBS of marmalade (J recommended the WI stall), 2 TBS any sherry you have. Taste, and adjust with more sherry and/or some lemon juice and S&P.

Postby Kacey » Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:07 pm

Oh Binky that does take me back! When I was about 15 and courting my ex-husband, he had a Saturday job in a local butchers, the people who owned the shop took us both out for a meal as a treat. It was my first posh grown-up meal out. I had crab pate, beef stroganoff and crepe suzette to finish. Had no idea if I liked them but they sounded suitably exotic. I loved them all, it was where my love of food started.

I can even remember what I was wearing! A pale blue cheesecloth shirt and a darker blue corduroy midi skirt with a wide elastic 'snake' belt. It was 1975!

Postby mistakened » Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:21 pm

Kacey wrote: I had crab pate, beef stroganoff and crepe suzette to finish.
I would happily eat that menu today/
Since when was Lasagne Retro?

Postby Kacey » Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:49 pm

Seeing Steak Diane reminds me of another favourite of mine (in pre-veggie times) Steak Marilyn Monroe - fillet steak with a blue cheese and walnut sauce. I used to have that in what would have been a fore runner of todays gastro pubs, with stuffed mushrooms to start.

I'm enjoying this thread, its bringing back some memories.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:44 pm

mistakened wrote:Since when was Lasagne Retro?

I made it in industrial quantities in the 70s, but probably not quite the same way as I'd do it now, I remember making a right mess of pre-cooking the pasta sheets, now the supermarkets sell packs of fresh pasta sheets that exactly fit as a single layer in my Woolworth's lasagne dish, and don't require boiling until gluey

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:04 pm

My OH used to reminisce about Chicken a la King that his first wife made very well. I didn’t ever dare try.

Postby liketocook » Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:05 pm

What a smashing book Binky, thanks for sharing. I'd be quite happy to see most of these on a restaurant menu. :yum

Postby Uschi » Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:23 pm

Black Forest Gateau was always big here, with some quieter times, but most good Konditoreien will have one.

A very German retro-dish is Toast Hawaii https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toast_Hawaii
My aunt still makes a whole baking tray of this for Christmas Eve every year to feed the family after church and before the gifting ceremony. :D

Postby aero280 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:10 pm

The two German snacks that we enjoy are "Strammer Max" and "Herren Toast".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strammer_Max

The Herren Toast we have had has always been mushrooms on toast with a cheese topping, but I understand that there are other types.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:19 pm

Strummer Max

Pah, I was brought up on uitsmijter, the Dutch version ( my dad’s sister married a Dutchman and lived in Amsterdam)

Postby dennispc » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:14 am

Trout and almonds about once a month here, though normally it’s whole trout stuffed with sprigs of thyme and lemon slices.

Postby Uschi » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:48 am

My mother made the poor Max, a slice of brown bread fried in butter and then covered with a fried egg. Yummm!!!!

A hedgehog formed of raw minced meat with onion "quills" and juniper berry eyes used to be (and to some extend still is) popular.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:31 am

There’s a lovely man in the next road, Bob, who I used to walk dogs with. He came round to see me yesterday and offer sympathy and he brought me a large box of Black Magic! I didn’t even know they still made it!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox