Register

Retro food

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Retro food

Postby Wic » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:26 pm

I’ve never even heard of tinned prawns!

Postby WWordsworth » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:57 pm

Only do it to be authentically retro.
The ones I have had were fairly awful, pulpy and tasteless.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:59 pm

3C005F73-34CE-407D-8C73-BCC83FF3EA8A.png
3C005F73-34CE-407D-8C73-BCC83FF3EA8A.png (99.92 KiB) Viewed 2795 times
Actually sold as shrimp
Princes Shrimps In Brine 200G

Postby miss mouse » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:27 am

Wic wrote:I’ve never even heard of tinned prawns!

Nor have/had I until now.

Postby mistakened » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:55 am

My Mother served canned prawns in a savoury tart,
I got out Hamlyn's All Colour Cook Book, published 1970, definitely Retro. Mary Berry did the cake section. Most of the recipes are OK but there is a lot canned luncheon meat. I must try the Leek & Cheese quiche. The foreign section at the end is interesting, there is Monte Carlo Salad which is actually Salad Nicoise, Chicken Simla, a simplified Korma but the Moussaka and other recipes are authentic.
Fried Sardine Sandwiches anyone?

Postby Seatallan » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:51 am

I'm rather partial to the shrimps in brine :oops:

One of our best friends adores Sandwich Spread and still insists on having it in his sarnies when we're fellwalking :)
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:16 pm

A friend who has been more of a serious hiker than I have often brings a jam sandwich and a peanut butter sandwich on hotter days when we walk, on the grounds they survive the heat much better than more exotic fillings, but jam sandwiches seem quite retro to me,

Might join her with the peanut butter though

Postby aero280 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:48 pm

I have had a fondue when visiting. In France we had a meat fondue. No cheese, just small chunks of raw meat and a pot of hot oil.

I think we got a fondue set as a wedding present in 1975, but if we still have it, it's still in the box, unopened, and hidden away...

But I still make Welsh Rarebit as a snack.

Postby herbidacious » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:35 pm

Amyw wrote:
I guess I define retro food, as food that seems to belong to a particular decade or era, that might seem slightly dated now . It’d be interesting to think what foods are eaten a lot if at the moment , that might appear retro in 20/30 years time . Thinking of things like like smashed avo on toast and pulled pork which seem to be everywhere but could be passé in the future

Definitely!

Smashed avo has to go out of fashion soon?!? (If only because of mutterings about environmental issues.)

Postby herbidacious » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:42 pm

Anyone remember Toast Toppers? I have no doubt they still exist. I might be confablulating but I have a memory or pseudo memory of a 'pizza flavoured' one. (if it didn't exist, it should have.)
Crab sticks... I's probably eat them now if I could.

I buy my mother sandwich spread. She has a whole pantry of retro: corned beef, tinned fruit salad, tinned salmon... I am not sure she ate these when she was my age, by my grandma did when she was (nearly) my mother's age. (She made it to 92.) Is it the law that you eat these things when you get very elderly?

My dad used to be partial to Heinz tinned vegetable salad.

I have some Club biscuits in the kitchen. But I think if you like a lot of chocolate on your biscuit you are better off buying Choco Leibniz.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:34 pm

I really didn’t like Toast Toppers but apparently they were discontinued a couple of years ago

Ocean sticks aka surimi (not allowed to call them crab sticks as they are crab free) are still around, handy for salads, or pimping instant noodles, and I think that’s quite a common use for the , there’s a wide range of surimi in Asian supermarkets

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:29 pm

herbidacious wrote:corned beef, tinned fruit salad, tinned salmon... I

I like all those and I'm not 90 for a while yet.

When the children were young we had Toast Toppers in front of the TV for tea on Sundays. I can remember chicken and mushroom and something similar. We had Toast Topper or cheese on toast on alternate weeks. Not sure I would like it much now.

I love 'crab' sticks. They make a cheap alternative to prawns when one is on ones own.

Postby Kacey » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:39 am

Gosh toast toppers, that takes me back! Along with Findus Crispy Pancakes and French Bread Pizza. Because my Mom wasn't a particularly good cook, having anything ready made or shop bought was a treat. I can well remember standing at her shoulder watching her make up a Vesta Chow Mein, I thought it was so sophisticated.

We used to have tinned salmon sandwiches if ever we went to my Nans for Saturday or Sunday tea, she'd mash it up with too much vinegar and pepper and never took the bones or the skin out, she said they were good for you. After the sandwiches were eaten we could have her home made cakes and biscuits which were always wonderful and worth swallowing the salmon bones for.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:20 am

Kacey wrote:We used to have tinned salmon sandwiches if ever we went to my Nans for Saturday or Sunday tea, she'd mash it up with too much vinegar and pepper and never took the bones or the skin out, she said they were good for you. After the sandwiches were eaten we could have her home made cakes and biscuits which were always wonderful and worth swallowing the salmon bones for.

Oh yes, never take the bones and spine out of tinned salmon - they mash up with the flesh ... one of my favourite sandwich fillings - with vinegar and pepper of course :yum

Postby herbidacious » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:14 am

You can get Findus Crispy pancakes - aka roof of mouth removers - again. Quite hard to track own though. I would eat them.

I never liked French bread pizza or indeed garlic bread made on the same. Actually I am not a big baguette fan. Too hard. (Maybe the roof of my mouth was pernanently damaged by too many Findus Crispy pancakes... ;) )

Postby dennispc » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:43 am

Date sandwich. After the war Mum bought a solid block of compressed dates, so that for our picnic dessert slices of it were made into a sandwich. Did the same for our kids.

Postby Amyw » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:55 pm

herbidacious wrote:Anyone remember Toast Toppers? I have no doubt they still exist. I might be confablulating but I have a memory or pseudo memory of a 'pizza flavoured' one. (if it didn't exist, it should have.)
Crab sticks... I's probably eat them now if I could.

I buy my mother sandwich spread. She has a whole pantry of retro: corned beef, tinned fruit salad, tinned salmon... I am not sure she ate these when she was my age, by my grandma did when she was (nearly) my mother's age. (She made it to 92.) Is it the law that you eat these things when you get very elderly?

My dad used to be partial to Heinz tinned vegetable salad.

I have some Club biscuits in the kitchen. But I think if you like a lot of chocolate on your biscuit you are better off buying Choco Leibniz.

Used to love club biscuits , they were a regular lunchbox staple especially the fruit one , with the purple wrapper . I think choco Leibniz are my favourite biscuits

Postby herbidacious » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:15 pm

The person I sit next to at work says that, when she was little, she thought they were called ChocoLesbians! It's hard to unthink that :)

Postby herbidacious » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:19 pm

I was watching a documentary about the Club vs Penguin biscuit rivalry (they hardly compare, do they?!?) in the '80s in which it was said they had to get rid of the 'If you like a lot of chocolate..." ad when cocoa prices went through the roof and they could no longer afford to use real chocolate. The new ad used the word 'chocolatey' instead. I think they use real chocolate these days. (But definitely not a lot compared to the halycon days.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak-aeyOWlhw

Postby Sloe-Gin » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:41 pm

Remember when crisps were only plain, with a blue twist of salt? We used to douse them in vinegar.

And I remember going with mum to the grocer's, a dark cavernous place with wheels of gorgonzola on marble slabs, sacks of mysterious ingredients and shelves of jars and bottles arrayed behind the counter. Everything was carefully weighed by a respectful man wearing a brown coat (think sort of Arkwright) and passed over the scrubbed wooden counter with a half bow.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox