Register

Retro food

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Retro food

Postby Suffs » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:42 am

Looks like Black Magic chocs have been 'recreated'

https://www.nestle.co.uk/en-gb/brands/c ... blackmagic

Postby mistakened » Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:38 am

I see that they still have the yucky orange

Moira

Postby herbidacious » Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:41 am

I suspect yucky orange was my favourite. And yucky coffee?!? Last eaten c. 1980.

Postby miss mouse » Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:43 am

mistakened wrote:I see that they still have the yucky orange

Moira

Unlikely as it sounds, there are people who like the soft centres and they are welcome to them as far as I am concerned.

Postby scullion » Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:01 am

the last time we had 'black magic' was a box given to us by my mother (her favourites). we had found the chocolate tasting club by then which opened our eyes to the quality of most other chocolates - including the black magic ones.
i had to look them up cos i was convinced that they were a rowntree's brand - seems they've been sold to 'nestles'.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:24 am

Yes, Rowntree who already owned Mackintosh (Toffo etc) were bought by Nestle ages ago

Cadbury who merged with Fry’s early 20 th century are owned by a conglomerate based on Kraft

Terry’s were owned by Kraft but now belong to a European conglomerate

Not so much ultra-processed food as ultra processed international finance

Postby slimpersoninside » Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:31 am

miss mouse wrote:
mistakened wrote:I see that they still have the yucky orange

Moira

Unlikely as it sounds, there are people who like the soft centres and they are welcome to them as far as I am concerned.

These people include my daughter, I cant quite believe it!

Pre-pandemic we bought her a tin of Qulity Street orange and strawberry (maybe raspberry) creams only from John Lewis, it was probably the best chocolate selection she's ever had!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Busybee » Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:39 am

I love the soft centres! Throw them my way, although my favourite is Prestat rose creams.

Our claim to fame is that the Black Magic red rose, featured on the boxes circa 70’s - 80’s was in our garden. The senior graphic designer for Rowntrees was, and still is, a neighbour. Local kids, us included, often featured on promotional material, the one I remember is for Smarties.

We always got a box of Black Magic or Dairy Box for birthdays and Christmas (my Mum also worked for Rowntrees at one point). I have to say, having been brought up on it, it’s not my favourite chocolate.

BB

Postby miss mouse » Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:09 pm

Busybee wrote:
Our claim to fame is that the Black Magic red rose, featured on the boxes circa 70’s - 80’s was in our garden. The senior graphic designer for Rowntrees was, and still is, a neighbour. Local kids, us included, often featured on promotional material, the one I remember is for Smarties.

BB

That's amazing, how nice to read it.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:51 pm

How interesting, BB!

Coffee and orange creams are food if the devil, closely followed by the other creams. For some reason I didn't mind the gooseberry creams which used to be part of the Quality Street selection.

I didn't know Black Magic had ever gone away, or is it just a revamp? Very weird to add an orange cream - strawberry would be better.

Postby mistakened » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:14 am

We are having Coronation Chicken for supper, almost the original recipe. It would have been Chicken a la King but it is a holiday here so the shops are shut. Shops being shut on a Bank Holiday also seems a retro action by British standards.

Moira

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox