Register

Seeded bread

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Seeded bread

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:52 pm

I know several of us have made the Easy-bake loaf from BBC Good Food, which I think Suffs posted some time ago

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/easy-bake-bread

It's good, and virtually fool proof, I find that my 50/50 mix of wholemeal and white flour needs 350g of water, so more than the 300ml specified, and I think less yeast is better, in my fairly warm kitchen, a 7g sachet (2 level tsp measures of Fermipan) is too quick, 4 or 5g gives a slower rise and a better crumb.

I do occasionally make other bread recipes too!

I have played a little with adding seeds to breads and never been very pleased with the results, so what do you do which works?

What kind(s) of seeds?
How much to 500g flour?
Do you toast them?
When do you add them?

Or do you have a good recipe for a seeded loaf?

Re: Seeded bread

Postby aero280 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:16 pm

I prefer the seeds toasted, if I use them in bread. I made a sunflower seeded loaf and the first time I made it with raw seeds they turned bright green inside the loaf and, although they tasted OK they were a bit soft and the loaf looked odd. I've done loaves with nuts, almonds and walnuts, but they didn't need toasting. I think it's just the seeds that are better toasted.
Last edited by aero280 on Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:22 pm

I make a fairly standard loaf using 500g flour, a 50:50 mixture of wholemeal and malted. This takes 350-360g water and 1-1¼ tsp yeast, depending upon whether the malted flour is white or brown (and whether I substitute some white)

I have added sunflower or linseed, usually a couple of tbsps iirc. I've added odds and ends of walnuts or pine nuts in the past, just to use up a packet. I've never toasted them, although when I make a pine nut and honey tart I always toast the pine nuts first.

Postby WWordsworth » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:40 pm

My standard loaf is 70% wholemeal and 30% white.
I often add a teaspoon each of sesame and poppy seeds.
We really like the peppery flavour of the poppy seeds, even with marmalade.
I don't toast them.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:02 am

aero280 wrote:I prefer the seeds toasted, if I use them in bread. I made a sunflower seeded loaf and the first time I made it with raw seeds they turned bright green inside the loaf and, although they tasted OK they were a bit soft and the loaf looked odd. I've done loaves with nuts, almonds and walnuts, but they didn't need toasting. I think it's just the seeds that are better toasted.

That’s more or less what has happened to my seeds a couple of times, they seemed more as if they’d been soaked overnight than baked, I’ll definitely try giving them a gentle toast

I’ve got some sunflower and I might have some pumpkin seeds too, both shelled, and sesame so I’ll try again

Postby dennispc » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:09 pm

My basic loaf is usually 60% wholemeal, the rest white. If it's seeded, I choose between sunflower, pumpkin, poppy and seasame, sometimes all four sometimes two. Not measured. Water for 500g of flour is about 365gms.

Might try that easy recipe, but I'll me posting in the Bread thread in a bit with a problem.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox