Register

Festive Food Plans

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Festive Food Plans

Postby Suffs » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:40 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Rocky … we used to make a Christmas Pie very likely that back in the day when a crowd of friends in the village would have a big house party for New Years Eve … taking turns to host. It was delicious, and a very transportable dish to carry up the village street :yum
Think it’ll be too big for us this year, but one day we may have a houseful again …

Postby scullion » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:05 pm

some years ago we decided to ditch 'traditional' christmas dinner after i had bought hot cross buns to have for christmas day breakfast (irony? sacrilege?).
now (excluding the last, of course) we have had an indian meal - we all bring a couple of dishes to the feast. it means they can often be prepared the day before ( for better flavour) so we can spend more time playing board games etc - the being together for the season is more important to us than traditional food, by a long chalk.
our delayed christmas dinner, in june, this year was middle eastern.
we also alternate so that the other parents get to see their own young on christmas day and a few days before or boxing day and a few days after, each year. i imagine that they would get a 'traditional' christmas dinner there.
i doubt we will have any problem sourcing our dinner ingredients!

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:22 pm

Sloe-Gin wrote:Our lovely neighbour's Christmas turkey trot

:lol:

I do hope it's this bottle

Postby RockyBVI » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:47 am

Love the picture of your neighbor. What a good sport!

Before we moved to BVI we had a year ‘off’ - half of it spent volunteering in Cambodia. The intention with the other half was to camp our way through Europe ending up in Turkey. But we got stuck in Slovenia as we liked it so much and stayed for months. We had just sold our house and knew we would rent in BVI so when we were offered a ramshackle farmhouse for an absolute bargain we jumped at the chance. We’ve slowly done it up and now have a lovely house in the mountains between Lakes Bled and Bohinj. We won’t all fit in it but there’s a few lovely places in the village we have managed to secure. We’ve only been once before for Christmas and it was magical! We really are very lucky!

Postby Kacey » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:30 am

I absolutely love Christmas, always have done. Decorations go up on the first weekend in December, the 4th & 5th this year, whilst the Christmas music playlist is on in the background. I usually treat myself to a nice new bauble for the tree every year to go with all the others which are up 40 odd years old. On the Sunday afternoon I'll make the wreath to hang on the front door, I'm thinking of adding lights this year.

We have Christmas day on our own at home these days, which is just as we like it. The dinner is always prepared as much as it can be on Christmas Eve afternoon, during the Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols on R4. When I'm done in the kitchen, OH will make home made crumpets for Christmas day breakfast. After breakfast will come the present opening, along with a bottle of champers between us. OH will eat at least one bag of chocolate coins, sometimes two. Then we'll have a coffee with a big slug of Bailey's in it. (Christmas is the only time we drink Baileys)

We'll have dinner at around 4pm and its always curry. This year the plan is mattar paneer, aubergine & chickpea and our current favourite dal, the Dishoom black dal. We'll have it with roast potatoes, Yorkshire pudding and ...... sprouts! Love sprouts! Just think of the Yorkie as doing duty as a substitute naan or something, it really works. I'll have made a Christmas pud but we won't eat it as we'll be stuffed, we'll probably eat it in early Jan or even stuff it in the cupboard for next year.

We'll drink our favourite beer and wine whilst watching tv and around 10pm we'll have cheese and biscuits and a couple of glasses of port. Looking forward to it already.

Postby RockyBVI » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:37 am

That sounds really lovely Kacey!

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:43 pm

Gosh I love these threads. Gets me well in the mood for it all :D

This year we’re all at my mum and dads. We’re in charge of desserts this year and we’re making a chocolate and chestnut torte with pistachio or vanilla ice cream and fresh raspberries. We’ll probably get a small Xmas pudding too for those who want it. Plus obligatory After Eights for with coffee and port. MIL and SIL are on the cheese course and my sister and BIL are sorting some no cook nibbles/canapé bits and pieces. Then over to FIL’s a day or so later where we always have a ham with jacket potatoes.

My mum and dad have gone for ease this year and have already ordered the entire main course from M&S.

Postby scullion » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:35 pm

sorry if it's a downer but by noises being made by government advisers, this morning, hints that another 'junemas', next year, may be on the cards...

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:38 pm

Yes Scully. I am definitely getting those vibes, especially as the Government keeps denying it which is a sure sign.

Postby mistakened » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:28 pm

OneMoreCheekyOne wrote:My mum and dad have gone for ease this year and have already ordered the entire main course from M&S.
Deep jealousy here, if only :roll:
Moira

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:18 pm

Ah sorry Moira, hope you get your hands on some lovely stuff anyway. Happy to send you some non perishable M&S treats through the post if you want them!

Postby MagicMarmite » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:51 am

It's just me again this year and I'm planning on a Chinese takeaway!

Postby mistakened » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:53 am

OneMoreCheekyOne wrote:Ah sorry Moira, hope you get your hands on some lovely stuff anyway. Happy to send you some non perishable M&S treats through the post if you want them!

Thank you but I must refuse your kind offer, the post was always doubtful but since Brexit it has got worse. There is a tax on almost everything. I ordered some knickers over two weeks ago, it will be a small light package but heaven knows where it is.
We will see what Lidl can produce.

Moira

Postby Sloe-Gin » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:56 pm

We brought home the farm shop Christmas order form yesterday.
I am, however, loath to order much until we know what oh's treatment will be and what the government's plan Q (or whatever they're on to by then)will hold.
They have capons to order.

Postby liketocook » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:35 pm

My winter butcher's order including turkey, sausage meat, chipolatas and streaky bacon is due to arrive on Wednesday. Christmas is covered. :D

Postby Sloe-Gin » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:31 pm

I used to buy a fresh goose until about 5 years ago. I ordered one from the farmer/butcher at our farmers' market and he said after 'trader discount' it would be £35. It was arranged he'd drop it off on his way home after his last market on Xmas eve, so I had the money ready.
Goose duly arrived, but it was £59 and the 'last one'. Of course, I felt honour bound to take it.
Since then, I played safe with a frozen one. Even safer this year as I don't know what Christmas holds.

Postby liketocook » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:05 pm

I'm playing safe too SG, last year the butcher I use had to close just before Christmas due to COVID and couldn't fulfil the Christmas orders leaving a bit of a scramble. This year they are playing it safe and offering an early order if you want over the next couple of weeks. I have the space to stash the stuff in the freezer so full steam ahead. :)

Postby Uschi » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:09 pm

Sloe-Gin wrote:I used to buy a fresh goose until about 5 years ago. I ordered one from the farmer/butcher at our farmers' market and he said after 'trader discount' it would be £35. It was arranged he'd drop it off on his way home after his last market on Xmas eve, so I had the money ready.
Goose duly arrived, but it was £59 and the 'last one'. Of course, I felt honour bound to take it.
Since then, I played safe with a frozen one. Even safer this year as I don't know what Christmas holds.

One does wonder why they think pulling a fast one will profit them? Disgruntling customers that way will lead to fewer orders, surely.

Postby mistakened » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:01 am

For the record we are going to The Four Seasons Hotel for Christmas lunch. It is buffet style with some hot dishes including turkey. I shall go round the buffet twice, once for fish then a meat course, I wonder if their sushi chef will be there?

moira

Postby mistakened » Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:20 pm

mistakened wrote:For the record we are going to The Four Seasons Hotel for Christmas lunch.
I shall modify that to maybe. None of the hotels in either Limassol or Paphos is permitted to take confirmed bookings for meals for non residents. It will be OK if you are staying there but the Cypriot government is undecided about Christmas :roll:, they are waiting for the Covid status to stabilise

moira

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox