Register

What would you like for Christmas?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What would you like for Christmas?

Postby Gruney2 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:27 pm

I'm always scratching round for hankies. That's because I' ve got a lot of trousers. I'm not a slob, I hang the trousers up after I've worn them - but each pair has a hankie in it's left pocket.

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:34 pm

gin glasses like these https://www.nisbets.co.uk/utopia-timele ... 8399_12767. If my Mom asks me what I want for Xmas, I might suggest

If you go to Nottingham, Nisbet's is just by the Lace Market tram stop

Postby scullion » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:34 pm

snow.

Postby Uschi » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:21 pm

scullion wrote:snow.

I have been dreaming of a white Christmas Eve since my early childhood, but I think I can count on one hand how often it came to pass.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:47 pm

Never had a white Christmas Eve, possibly a hard frost, but no snow
Even in the hard winter of 62/63 the snow started to fall on Boxing Day (St Stephen's Day)

Postby scullion » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:05 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Even in the hard winter of 62/63 the snow started to fall on Boxing Day (St Stephen's Day)

i still have the wooden spoon from a cooking set i received as a christmas present from my dad's work's party, that christmas. we had to drive through snow and slush to get to there.
the spoon, small but solid, is well worn on one side.

Postby herbidacious » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:07 pm

OneMoreCheekyOne wrote:I have been toying with asking for/buying one of the always pans. I cant decide on the colour though.

https://fromourplace.co.uk/

If you are still doing so, they have a sale with quite big discounts.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:22 pm

It didn't snow on the south coast until Boxing Day, we were less than a km inland, so it always took longer for the temperature to drop

Postby Uschi » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:13 am

Stokey Sue wrote:Never had a white Christmas Eve, possibly a hard frost, but no snow
Even in the hard winter of 62/63 the snow started to fall on Boxing Day (St Stephen's Day)

I was born in Mid-December 1963, so do not remember that particular Christmas. Nor the one after. I do have dim memories of 1966, Aunt Anneliese dressed up as Father Christmas and Cousin Männi throwing up in terror. They had to drag me off Father Christmas, so intent was I to avenge him. :shock:
After that my mother stuck to the Christkind ... a much gentler figure who has the great advantage of only dropping the gifts under the tree if the living room is empty and locked. There is usually a little bell ringing to signal that it has left the building.

Postby Wic » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:32 pm

[quote="herbidacious"][quote="OneMoreCheekyOne"]I have been toying with asking for/buying one of the always pans. I cant decide on the colour though.

I was looking at those, too, OMCO, and read lots of reviews. I found a blog, whose name I can’t remember now, but it was less than complimentary. It tested two pans over a year and the non-stick coating had failed on both after six months, and the actual pan wasn’t big enough for pasta. All the comments seemed to agree, particularly about the non-stick bit. It put me off.

I’ll have a search and see whether I can find it again.

Postby Wic » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:40 pm

The Always Pan

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... our-place/

https://minimalistbaker.com/always-pan- ... -worth-it/

I’m not sure that either of these were the ones I remember reading before, but they say much the same thing. It’s really disappointing, isn’t it!

Postby Amber » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:21 am

Sorry for the delay in replying, I’ve been ill, again, after having my Covid booster :roll: . Moderna. I reacted to both AZ ones too.

But back to the film issue, there’s a copy of Sainsburys poster on this link. Our local Coop and Waitrose have small bins now too.

https://www.about.sainsburys.co.uk/sust ... e-plastics

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:58 am

Sorry to hear you've been under the weather, Amber. Poor you having such nasty reactions.
Very grateful for the Sainsbury link. I must find out where on earth the point in my local store is!

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:11 am

Morning all, from a bright, but chilly Harefield :wave:

It was very foggy early on, but the sun has burnt that off now.

A Zoom Fitsteps class, then visit to daughter's after ... hoping I can help her with setting up online banking and programming her boiler ... both beyond her :roll: :(

Earthmaiden wrote:Very grateful for the Sainsbury link. I must find out where on earth the point in my local store is!

My local Tesco has a large bin next to where you also drop off batteries, toner cartridges etc... It states very clearly what you can put in it :

Any plastic bag
crisp packets
food & pet pouches
plastic wrappers
any plastic film

Of course what you don't know is what they do with it, but hopefully not to landfill as this is where it would otherwise be sent to from home.

Postby scullion » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:03 pm

there was an interesting article in 'food unwrapped' (channel 4) yesterday evening about a new, recycle in the paper collection, 'paper' wrap for cucumbers to do away with their single use plastic wrapping - looks interesting.
apart from finding cucumbers uninteresting except in pickle - the plastic wrapping puts me off - whatever did we do before we had it ¿¿¿.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:11 pm

I think cucumbers didn't travel so far, and I'm fairly sure some varieties were heavily waxed for a while, at least you can remove the plastic sheath. It's only "English" hothouse thin skinned varieties like Burpless that get wrapped I think? I was surprised to discover that they are called English cucumbers in some other countries

One reason for preferring Lebanese aka mini cucumbers is that as well as having more flavour they are generally sold loose by weight

Postby scullion » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:01 pm

if i was going to buy a cucumber i would prefer to buy it without the wrap - not just be able to remove it - and then have to dispose of it - that's my point.
(it was a rhetorical question...)

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:11 pm

We didn't have fresh cucumber all the year round and it came from somewhere local. It does need protection to travel and the film wrapping seems to do the trick. Good to hear something else might work as well.

I try to eat seasonal foods but have loved having cucumber and tomatoes all the year round ever since we were first offered them. I would miss them dreadfully if we went back to strictly seasonal but accept we should probably not be eating them (I like 'English' cucumbers best too).

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:06 pm

What I would like for Christmas is the hollowed out chopping board that would go with my mezzaluna

I've Goggled like a little mad thing, but I can find sets of knife + board or knives without boards, but the only suitable board without a knife I can find is hand made from maple wood, and ££££, I can find some smaller ones intended for the little herb choppers but mine is a big butch 24cm one

I would have though the boards needed replacing more often than the knives, but replacements obviously aren't a thing, odd

I'll keep looking for a well-priced set I suppose, I am using it more since my mini-chopper gave up, and I don't think I'll replace that

Postby Wic » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:44 pm

I don’t think I have a Christmas 'want' for the kitchen, but I’d love a Hori Hori trowel for the garden.
https://www.niwaki.com/hori-hori/#P00442-2

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox