Register

What would you like for Christmas?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What would you like for Christmas?

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:34 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby liketocook » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:26 pm

Yes they do seem to have become a thing!
When my boys were small my MIL used give them a Christmas Eve parcel as part of their Christmas present. Always new pyjamas & slippers, bubble bath, a book and a small festive biscuit/sweetie and when they got bigger a video between them. So maybe not such a new idea just more commercial now. They did always love it and it certainly encouraged an early bath and getting ready for bed.

KC2 - yes I've a gas hob. I don't think it seals the edges. It's real "want" rather than need and maybe be rubbish lol!

Postby Uschi » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:59 pm

We go the whole hog here and give all the presents on Christmas Eve ... :gonzo

Postby herbidacious » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:23 pm

As children, we'd have a stocking with very small things (er stocking fillers...) to keep us going in the early hours of Christmas Day, and presumbably to stop us waking our parents up too early.

A young colleague says they were given new pyjamas pn Christmas Eve. Not sure if that is common. Her mum is probably 10 years older than me.

Postby WWordsworth » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:10 pm

Another filthy continental habit :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:24 pm

I can't for the life of me work out how that sandwich toaster works :oops:. Looks quite stylish though.

Yes, Christmas Eve boxes are a 'thing' and one I knew nothing about before GD came along (she has one). None of us has ever had new pyjamas on Christmas Eve either. The highlight of our (my and my children's) Christmas Eves was carrying father's gumboot socks up to bed by candlelight singing a song from my grandparents' era as we went. It seemed enough.

JL were wonderful for electrical and electronic goods when the staff were trained in all the goods on sale and always gave good and reliable advice. It changed to instore franchises I believe, then whatever assistant you got was programmed to sell you his/her make. No wonder they started to do badly. I hate them with a vengeance for closing our home store and won't buy from them now - it's still convenient to go to Waitrose though.

Postby Pampy » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:15 am

KeenCook2 wrote:
I must say that we have used our microwave sandwich toaster (it was a Christmas present from DS2 a few years ago!) from Lakeland tons - we're very happy with it.

We had a discussion about this Lakeland microwave toaster some time ago - I have one and was very happy with it. But then I looked at the bigger one on the Lakeland website and it said that it could only be used at a maximum 900 watts and must be on a moveable base that spins round. My microwave doesn't move (it's part of an oven) so I checked the details on the model that I've got and it said the same. It definitely didn't have that info. when I bought it so I rang Lakeland to ask about it. The person I spoke to wasn't very helpful even though she agreed that the info. wasn't on their website when I bought my toaster. She didn't know what the effect would be using it in my microwave and didn't make any effort to go and find out. In the end, she said that if I returned it to them, they would give me some store vouchers, which I don't particularly want. It's the first time I've been unimpressed with Lakeland.

Postby Rainbow » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:59 am

herbidacious wrote:As children, we'd have a stocking with very small things (er stocking fillers...) to keep us going in the early hours of Christmas Day, and presumbably to stop us waking our parents up too early.

A young colleague says they were given new pyjamas pn Christmas Eve. Not sure if that is common. Her mum is probably 10 years older than me.

I was thinking what about a stocking? I guess it came when we were asleep, so a morning thing, not Xmas Eve.

Postby Uschi » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:39 am

WWordsworth wrote:

Another filthy continental habit :lol: :lol: :lol:

... and so unhealthy! ;)

Mind you, it does have the advantage, that lighting candles (or turning on the electrical ones) in the dark is more "romantisch". The kids will play with their stuff while the adults will have a :wino and if you are lucky, the kids will have a lie-in, too, on Christmas morning.
Christmas day is usually spent recovering and fixing up a festive meal - oh, and trying out the presents.

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:10 pm

Pampy wrote:We had a discussion about this Lakeland microwave toaster some time ago - I have one and was very happy with it. But then I looked at the bigger one on the Lakeland website and it said that it could only be used at a maximum 900 watts and must be on a moveable base that spins round. My microwave doesn't move (it's part of an oven) so I checked the details on the model that I've got and it said the same. It definitely didn't have that info. when I bought it so I rang Lakeland to ask about it. The person I spoke to wasn't very helpful even though she agreed that the info. wasn't on their website when I bought my toaster. She didn't know what the effect would be using it in my microwave and didn't make any effort to go and find out. In the end, she said that if I returned it to them, they would give me some store vouchers, which I don't particularly want. It's the first time I've been unimpressed with Lakeland.

I'm surprised at Lakeland, Pampy, I agree, I've only ever had very helpful and knowlegeable customer service when I've had questions. And absolutely, re the store vouchers, totally useless. I think you must have just been unlucky with the person who answered the phone! Might be worth trying again ....

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:14 pm

Lawdie - wish I could stop hearing the earworm........' All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth ' every time I see this thread title.....

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:48 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:Lawdie - wish I could stop hearing the earworm........' All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth ' every time I see this thread title.....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby scullion » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:47 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:Lawdie - wish I could stop hearing the earworm........' All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth ' every time I see this thread title.....

i'm glad you said it - i was going to say 'two front teeth' but it would have made it sound as though i didn't have them!

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:53 am

Well I must be much younger than all of you because my ear worm on this thread is Mariah Carey.

Postby Rainbow » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:01 am

I thought of the 'all I want for Christmas is a Beatle' variation. At the time I really fancied George!!!

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:16 am

I didn't have any earworms before teeth were mentioned but agree it was Beatle after that! Oh yes, George .. :bounce:.

PS - predictive text took a lot of convincing I didn't mean earthworms.

I'd like someone to come in and sort all the jobs that need doing in my house for Christmas. Failing that, I'm asking Santa for pinking shears, something I've never owned but always wanted.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:28 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:Failing that, I'm asking Santa for pinking shears, something I've never owned but always wanted.

Ha, I've had pinking shears ever since I dabbled with dressmaking and making curtains in my early 20s. The only time they've ever been used since then has been to recycle old Christmas cards into gift tags when the boys were little!
Pinking shears, and the hole punch for the gold ribbon tie :D

Postby scullion » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:12 pm

Earthmaiden wrote: I'm asking Santa for pinking shears, something I've never owned but always wanted.

i have some from ikea - £8 and pretty decent.

Postby Suffs » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:42 pm

Rainbow wrote:

I thought of the 'all I want for Christmas is a Beatle' variation. At the time I really fancied George!!!

George was my pin-up too

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:21 pm

George lived very close to where I went to school from '64-'67 and we used to see him zooming around in his green E-Type Jag. When we had a Guide jumble sale, one lucky group of girls got to go to his house to collect jumble (sadly, not me). We were allowed to auction the items (light fittings or something) saying where they'd come from and raised more than we would have otherwise! Three of us got tooted at by John Lennon once too ... we went crazy which was clearly the effect he'd been hoping for :lol:.

I know pinking shears aren't expensive but they were more than I could have afforded in the days when I'd have used them a lot when the children were small and for some reason they still seem a teeny bit of an extravagance.

I saw an air fryer and a garden vacuum in John Dyas's window yesterday ... both would be most acceptable.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox