Register

What would you like for Christmas?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What would you like for Christmas?

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:55 pm

Did someone mention a sodastream? Lakeland are doing 20% off until 3rd Nov https://www.lakeland.co.uk/brands/sodas ... k5NDExMAS2

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:05 am

KeenCook2 wrote:Maybe I should just carry on with clingfilm!!!

I have just read about this in a Friends of the Earth mag. Compostable cling film made from corn starch. Has anyone tried it? (NB - this is probably not the only stockist!).
https://www.onlinehealthfoodstore.co.uk ... g-film.htm

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:17 am

I saw the compostable cling film in a local whole foods shop last week and meant to Google to see if it is worth trying.

I see it’s the Ecoleaf brand, which is Suma’s range of non food products, I’ve tried a couple that have been good and not specially expensive, and I like Suma generally.

My guess is many whole food shops, refill shops and zero waste stores will stock it

Ecoleaf
https://www.suma.coop/ecoleaf/

Edit: I Googled, there are a few makes, most have decent reviews except the Lakeland one which has poor reviews, worth a try

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Biodegradable- ... NrPXRydWU=

Postby herbidacious » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:51 pm

I have on occasions got very very cross with those silicone lids.

I do need a new sodastream but can't decide whether to fo for a different brand or not. I will have to buy new bottles (and not be able to use the current glass ones) either way.

I've not seen my sister since 1997 :? This is quite certainly a good thing.

Postby Kacey » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:36 am

I'd like some Nick & Nora glasses in this sort of style https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nick-Nora-Cock ... B08G1XWRRH, and some gin glasses like these https://www.nisbets.co.uk/utopia-timele ... 8399_12767. If my Mom asks me what I want for Xmas, I might suggest money so I can get them.

Also want the new Ottolenghi book.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:14 am

I mentioned the Aldi Christmas brochure on another thread. Under 'gifts for someone special' they suggest pyjamas. I don't want to seem ungrateful but I wouldn't feel very special if I was given them (or not the sort they sell in Aldi at least!).

Postby herbidacious » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:26 am

Something I really covet but it goes way beyond Christmas budgets, or indeed any budgets, and I'd probably not use it, and probably couldn't make the most of it as a vegetarian, but...

https://www.biggreenegg.co.uk/?gclid=Cj ... v8QAvD_BwE

I first saw them in Manufactum in Dusseldorf about 8 years ago but they are in garden centres here now too.

Postby Amber » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:24 am

Re compostable cling film….

Our local supermarkets all seem to now be recycling ‘non-recyclable’ film, plastic pouches etc. It’s surprising how quickly it builds up.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:45 am

I've heard about this but have not seen it. Which supermarkets do it? I did try the eco bottle thing for a while where you stuff used film etc into plastic drinks bottles and they are used in projects instead of bricks. It was a real faff to do as the plastic has to be really compacted in the bottles and I'm sorry to say I stopped doing it. I did wonder about the bad things in the plastic leaching out at a later date too, I would rather it was all dealt with properly if possible.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:15 am

Our local Morrison’s has a bin in the foyer next to the one for recycling film and bags, it used to be for carrier bags but has broadened its scope, which I think quite a few have

You can put most plastic bags and wrappers in, but not all film is recyclable even there - the film from the front of those square clear plastic boxes supermarket meat comes in is marked do not recycle for example, and of course like all recycling the bags etc have to be clean, so used cling film isn’t usually possible. But it doesn’t accept “non-recyclable”

I do find the recycling instructions on packaging, especially Morrison’s, has improved. Quite a lot says “recycle in store”, the flimsy bags lettuces come in for example, but quite a lot still have the do not recycle symbol.

Postby herbidacious » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:52 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I mentioned the Aldi Christmas brochure on another thread. Under 'gifts for someone special' they suggest pyjamas. I don't want to seem ungrateful but I wouldn't feel very special if I was given them (or not the sort they sell in Aldi at least!).

Better than that old stand-by (even for children) in days gone by: handkerchiefs.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:05 pm

Thanks, Sue. I rarely go to Morrisons as our store isn't very nice but might go just to leave my wrappers :oops:.

Herbi, as a child I quite liked hankies if they were nice ones. However, neither hankies or pyjamas seem the ideal surprise for 'someone special'! Surprises don't need to be expensive either!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:17 pm

I think terracycle may have a few bins that take all kinds of film - but it's worth looking at the carrier bag bins in any store to see if they have been upgraded like Morrison's

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:22 pm

I've never noticed carrier bag bins either, I clearly go round with my eyes closed! I'll start looking. Carrier bags are like gold dust in this house.

Postby scullion » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:56 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:neither hankies or pyjamas seem the ideal surprise for 'someone special'! Surprises don't need to be expensive either!

for his birthday, this year, i gave my brother a mid fifties eagle annual (£4 from a charity shop). he was over the moon with it - thought it was a brilliant present.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:48 pm

Does anybody 'do' hankies anymore?!?! :?
Kleenex 'n all that...............

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:30 pm

Most children don't recognise hankies. A friend of mine gave GD some neatly laundered old ones in a tin last year (she was 5). Some had pictures, some were lacy. GD was over the moon and she kept taking them out, folding and unfolding them, they became dolls bedding, dolls carpet, you name it. She loves them (but has never used them for their original purpose!).

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:33 pm

Presumably Covid would have put a stop to that anyway EM?

I bloody hate hankies.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:55 pm

I remember people boiling hankies in Tide

I still have a few, which I converted to lavender bags by tying bits of ribbon round them to make pretty little bundles

I have an embroidered handkerchief sachet which I tried storing face masks in, but it's a bit small, will have to find another use (my grandma, or great grandma, made it and it's at least 90 years old, probably older)

Postby liketocook » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:23 pm

I have a few. I sometimes get watery eyes, not infected but related to a tear duct problem. I find a cotton hanky much less harsh on the delicate eye area than a tissue. Anything else though and it's tissues all the way.

Our family Secret Santa has been set up so I need to get my wish list sorted. We try to buy things folk have said they want rather than guessing. PJs and handkerchiefs will not be featuring though some new slippers might! :D

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox