Register

What would you like for Christmas?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

What would you like for Christmas?

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:58 pm

I have just decided what I'm going to ask DS2 for!

https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advic ... opten_0720

There's a UK version here - no point in him getting me something like that in the US!
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Cuisinart-SG ... ONING_MILL

Re: What would you like for Christmas?

Postby slimpersoninside » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:10 pm

Looks very much like the one I have, just the updated version by the looks of it. I'm happy with mine.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:49 pm

I have a Cuisinart spice grinder, I love it, I've had it years, and it looks set to last a lifetime

My only reservation is that while it is an excellent grinder, it's not very good for making spice pastes with wet garlic, ginger, and chilli added; sometimes it works for me, sometimes not

Edited to remove typos

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:29 pm

Thanks for the feedback, slimpersoninside and Sue, very helpful :thumbsup
i think that will definitely be requested :D

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:53 pm

I have been toying with asking for/buying one of the always pans. I cant decide on the colour though.

https://fromourplace.co.uk/

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:51 pm

That looks really great, OMCO. I like the red!

It would be even better in my book if it had a detachable handle. My large saute pan does, and it's incredibly useful for putting the pan in the oven and washing it up - we only have a rather small round sink so large items can be a bit tricky.

DS2 said he had bought an "always" type pot in the US, but his is not nearly as versatile as this one.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:40 pm

Love the pot too! Lovely colour choices. I'm afraid I look for dishwasher-proof pans when they're not cast iron and I don't think this is (still tempting though!).

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:06 pm

I like the colours, but I’ve promised myself I’m not buying any more cookware with coatings whether non-stick or enamel, they never wear as well as promised although I am very very careful, might make an exception for Le Creuset type if relevant. Also that doesn’t go in the oven or the dishwasher.

I’ve made this vow before, but this time I’m sticking to it, stainless steel is the way forward for me

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:09 pm

Now you mention it, my favourite saucepan is a cheap stainless steel one I bought from Ikea! I do like the functionality of OMCO's though.

Postby Seatallan » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:26 pm

Oooh!! I could very easily be tempted!

What I really need are some replacement baking trays. Mine are all going a bit rusty.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:34 pm

The fact that they can't go in the oven is the only reason why I haven't bought one already! I do like the look of these though and the functionality. I expect I will ask for one for Christmas.

Re baking trays...all of ours are expensive le crueset or cheap ikea. Both great but ikea wins for price.

Postby Meganthemog » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:52 pm

Reading the reviews there seems to be an issue with the outside becoming stained through use. I wouldn't be tempted as I would want one that was dishwasher safe. I've had my pans for at least 20 years and they are like new. No coatings just stainless steel - I can't remember the make! They go in the dishwasher and come out like new. I will have to check on the make as I want to buy DD some for when she moves into her new home.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:02 pm

I have Stellar sheet pans I was lucky enough to find in TK Maxx, actually the Stellar weird black enamel might be another exception to the no coatings rule

If I didn’t have them though I’d get US style stainless sheet pans with racks, which are really versatile, great for reheating things you need to be crisp underneath as well as baking

Like this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=Stainless+ ... nb_sb_noss

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:24 pm

Last year I invested in the best ever baking tray/shallow roaster from John Lewis I have ever bought.

It is absolutely perfect for a huge tray of roast veg - it's about 40 cm long. It was £32 which seemed a lot at the time, but it is absolutely fantastic.

I checked out the ref no but they don't seem to make it any more, unfortunately, and the closest I can find is this one: https://www.johnlewis.com/eaziglide-nev ... y/p3417068

What I like about is that it is the perfect depth for non-meat roasts. I'd been looking for ages before I found it. Baking trays are either too shallow or typical roasting dishes are too deep for what I wanted!

It is truly non-stick. You can use it several times between washes - depending on what you're roasting of course. If it's meat we wash it, but for roast veg we don't bother, it always seems such a waste to get rid of all the lovely juices!

I never put anything like that or saucepans in the dishwasher, although I do put my Ikea plastic chopping boards in it from time to time, and always if i've used them for raw meat.

Postby herbidacious » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:24 pm

Those pans are very nice. I am another one who wants dishwasher compatability though. I don't mind washing things by hand but husband would, at some point, run it through the dishwasher before I could stop him.

I could do with another medium sized and another small saucepan. I was looking at Green pans.

I bought this earlier a year ago, having lost my original spice grinder (?!? how could that happen?) and am happy with it, but haven't used it a great deal.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08 ... =UTF8&th=1

Postby Suelle » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:51 pm

herbidacious wrote:Those pans are very nice. I am another one who wants dishwasher compatability though. I don't mind washing things by hand but husband would, at some point, run it through the dishwasher before I could stop him.

I could do with another medium sized and another small saucepan. I was looking at Green pans.

I've just given my Green Pan sauté pan to charity, and replaced it with a basic traditional non-stick. The instructions advise against using olive oil, but any oil seemed to burn onto the surface, even at low temperatures, and be very difficult to clean off without much more effort than you want to put into scrubbing a non-stick pan.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:22 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:Now you mention it, my favourite saucepan is a cheap stainless steel one I bought from Ikea! I do like the functionality of OMCO's though.

Most of my saucepans (and a small frying pan) are SS from Ikea .... they scrub up really well. I also have a large SS baking tin complete with a lid ... It started out in life as a scientific bath when the father of one of my ex-partners worked at a laboratory in Ruislip ... He knew I loved good baking/cooking pans and he also aquired some le Crueset from Boot sales for me :thumbsup

Postby herbidacious » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:40 pm

I am fed up with my Sodastream. You have to wait 5-10 minutes before you an extract the bottle and often I just forget so feel I need to start again. This is the second one that has developed this fault.

So... I'd rather like one of these.

https://www.johnlewis.com/aarke-carbona ... r/p5552365

I know it would be an awfully generous present (doubtless to self). I still have last year's office £75 John Lewis Christmas party voucher to lessen the expense.

I'd a new kitchen to make it not look out of place, though.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:54 pm

I like that, Herbi. I'd need a new kitchen too!

I'd like a posh coffee maker - but not one where disposable pods had to be used each time. Any suggestions?

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:03 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I'd like a posh coffee maker - but not one where disposable pods had to be used each time. Any suggestions?

I liked the look of the one that Brad Pitt promotes (Impresso ? ) that grinds the beans, then brews the coffee, then discovered it costs more than £400 :roll: :shock: :!:

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox