Register

What would you like for Christmas?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What would you like for Christmas?

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:05 pm

I'd just like my sister to stay away.
That's good enough for me :lol:

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:33 pm

WWordsworth wrote:I'd just like my sister to stay away.
That's good enough for me :lol:

Any chance of that happening, WW? :lol:

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:57 pm

WWordsworth wrote:I'd just like my sister to stay away.
That's good enough for me

:lol: That was heartfelt Wordsworth - so......... :crossed :crossed

Reading about all your Beatle earworms & all I can hear is an Eartha Kitt earworm.........'Santa Baby..... Been an awful good girl - so hurry down the chimney tonight '
That's gonna play in my head all day long now - fortunately I know all the words.....!

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:01 pm

She hasn't yet suggested we have a "lovely family Christmas"
You know, the one where she sits on her ar$e while we do everything, then tuts because we drink more than her.
Then she says the bed is hard.
She's cold.
She makes digs because I could do with losing weight.
Then she might, yet again, accuse me of helping myself to mum's money before she died.

Last time I hosted a family Christmas, about 6 or 7 years ago, she told me on Christmas Eve that nephew was now vegan.

Can't wait to see her!

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:03 pm

:crossed :crossed :crossed :crossed

Did you get out of it last year because of covid?

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:08 pm

A right ol' kill joy - every family has to have at least one!!!!

Perhaps this year you might have to go into immediate covid quarantine the day before she's due to arrive............ ;)

great minds KC2...........!

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:31 pm

Covid helped last year.
She was staying with her partner's mother in Cheshire and wanted us to meet for lunch.
I explained that those of us in tier 3 weren't supposed to be taking our germs to a tier 2 area.
And that mixing with someone who's staying with an elderly lady was not wise.
I was being a drama queen, apparently.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:37 pm

That settles it.......definitely emergency quarantine - as befits a Drama Queen.......!!!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:07 pm

If you don't get any pinking shears before I next see you Earthmaiden, you can have mine, they are good ones from John Lewis, in good condition. I can manage ordinary scissors but can't line these up accurately, it's the thickness of the blades I think

If anyone wants a new apron or two for Christmas, I just got some really nice ones from TK Maxx, £7.99 by Sterck - not on the TK Maxx website, though they have the Ulster Weavers ones
I got the blue stripe
https://www.sterck.co.uk/kitchen/aprons ... /index.htm

If looking for Christmas gifts, they also still have a good selection of Dent's leather gloves at about a third RRP - they nearly always have some in September and October

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:24 pm

OOh, lovely, Sue, I wonder if our TK Maxx will have them too ....

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:19 pm

Hello, lids again ...

have just reread our various posts about reusable lids and think I'm going to request some for Christmas :thumbsup

What do you think about these? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0846TFMJH/ ... ljaz10cnVl

Or have you come across a set of lids recently that you'd recommend?

Thx :D

Postby liketocook » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:36 pm

I have a set of these KC2 and find them reasonably handy but with a tendency to ping off if you don't get them on quite right. I haven't used them as much as I thought I might but they certainly aren't unused either IFYSWIM. I do wish I bought a mix of round and rectangle ones instead of just round ones.

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:20 pm

Hmm, thanks LTC. The choice is pretty overwhelming!

Postby Sloe-Gin » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:28 pm

I would like a new oven, one that doesn't turn itself off when you open the door to check on the roast.
This is a replacement with the same fault as the first... Steam escapes when you open the door and faults out the control panel above it. It us the most hateful thing i have ever had.
But as we have our eyes set on new upholstery and carpets for the caravan, a new oven is waaay down the pecking order.

Postby Pampy » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:32 pm

I have very similar silicone lids - I find them quite useful and they've certainly reduced my usage of cling film.

Postby Busybee » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:35 pm

I’d like a new dressing gown, my much loved lightweight M&S one seems to have developed small puppy teeth sized holes. Can’t think why?

BB

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:17 pm

I have the Lakeland silicone lids, which when I bought them 2 years ago were actually cheaper than most of the unbranded ones

I have reservations but they definitely work

They are good on bowls they actually fit. Most of them don’t fit any bowls I store stuff in

Like all these things that come in massive multiples of different sizes, you don’t really want 10 different sizes, you want a couple each of the 3 sizes you use daily (cf Lock & Lock, trios of plant pots)

I think they are not really suitable for anyone with reduced manual dexterity, my right hand is dodgy and it seems to be a problem. They are much harder to fit than cling film IMO

Postby scullion » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:00 pm

i bought some of those from lidl some months ago.
they say they'll fit a range of sizes each but, as ltc says, they tend to creep and ping themselves off if you put them on a bowl bigger than they prefer.
they are reasonably useful although i think wax wraps are a little more so as they do fit the bowl you want them to and you can wrap sandwiches etc - and they keep bread fresher for longer.

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:40 pm

I've tried using saucers, plates etc, but that's also not terribly satisfactory.

I do try and reuse clingfilm - and will cut a strip in half to make two smaller, squarer pieces for smaller bowls, but I'm never quite sure whether it's actually not terribly hygienic to reuse it - and keeping it once it's cut is also not terribly easy if you don't want it to stick to itself!

I have some saved cottage cheese lids that fit on new tubs that now come without lids but unfortunately didn't quite realise what was happening with the 300ml cream pots or creme fraiche pots until it was too late and they had already disappeaared. I have kept some 500ml yogurt pot lids but at the moment they still seem to be provided.

Sue, you're absolutely right
"Like all these things that come in massive multiples of different sizes, you don’t really want 10 different sizes, you want a couple each of the 3 sizes you use daily"

I've just looked at the bowls I use for left-overs and, for instance, the tiniest sizes in the multi-packs would be totally useless - I'd rarely, if ever, use them. I've got half a dozen small white pudding basins and a couple of different sized pyrex bowls that I use all the time, as well as our Ikea cereal bowls that are a great size for a batch of hummus etc. I also bought a couple of pyrex bowls, with lids, that are great. They're both ok for quite generous quantities of salady dishes.

Maybe I should just carry on with clingfilm!!!

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:22 pm

I really wanted one of the neom scent diffusers but ended up treating myself last week. I love it for after cooking to help disguise food smells.

I’d love another jumper from Gussy and Lou. All of their clothes make me happy. Cinnamon honey and chocollossus biscuits from Fortnum and Mason, and the Mowgli street food book. A decent Vietnamese or Japanese cookbook would be good…out of the 100s we own these are two cuisines which are lacking.

We are getting family theatre tickets to see Matilda too which i’m very excited about.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox