Register

The dreaded C-word ....

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

The dreaded C-word ....

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:20 pm

Somewhat embarrassedly :oops: I have just ordered our Christmas Dinner (although we may have to do it on Boxing Day as I think DS1 + wife may not be arriving until 25th) ...

However, given the unpredictability of everything at the moment I felt it was better to know that we've got something sorted. If it turns into a lockdown or no-one is coming, I'll cut it and freeze it in two halves.

The only time I've had any goose was many years ago when I got one of those frozen things from Lidl, having had it recommended by a friend. It was underwhelming, I recall, but it could well have been my fault. Maybe I just cooked it badly.

Anyway, this looks like the perfect solution. I long ago gave up non-easy-cook options; lack of space is one reason, as well as lack of energy. We usually order from Waitrose, but their menu isn't available yet and I wanted to get this while it was there!

https://christmasfood.marksandspencer.c ... evPage=srp

Re: The dreaded C-word ....

Postby Busybee » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:01 pm

The one thing that cooking a goose produces is lots of fat. Mum would always stand the bird on a trivet and pour the fat off every half an hour, excellent for roasting the potatoes and other root veg.

Other than that little Pearl of wisdom I have nothing to offer, I’m not sure I have ever cooked goose.

I think you are being very sensible in ordering early, nothing to lose and it gives you peace of mind.

I have started buying something extra each week on my normal weekly shop for Christmas, it’s something I do every year ever since being a skint single parent and needing to spread the cost. In my mind it’s a good habit to have, it takes the hassle out of December.

BB

Postby smitch » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:18 pm

I’ve already ordered my veggie centrepiece for Christmas dinner. I’ve had it a few times before and always enjoyed it. I’ve also ordered our cheese and a jar of chutney.

I had an email about Ocado Christmas slots but by the time I looked they’d all gone. I don’t think we’ll need one anyway, I buy my veg locally and I think we’re going to my parents for Christmas Day.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:26 pm

The M&S goose looks good, I have cooked goose a few times, including one of the Lidl ones, which was OK but not as good as some others, would probably have been fine in a recipe, but a bit dull straight

I had a plate in Germany, called the best part of the goose, which was pieces off different parts of a roast goose, I think much easier to do a really big goose like that perfectly in a massive commercial oven. The best part was the wing, skin as crisp as tempura outside, and moist dark flesh inside

I tend to go for duck these days, using Nigella's twice cooked roasting method, I don't much like turkey, and as OH was Gascon, the fat birds (that sounds rude) win

This is Nigella's method, but I make ordinary gravy, not the thin sauce which I find not very interesting

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/roast-d ... and-ginger

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:55 pm

Really good plan KC2 - you done good as they say, and M&S very rarely disappoints.

We almost always had goose at home every Xmas growing up and it's wonderful! Think very big duck for cooking, and on a rack as BB says. My mother would also stuff the neck. Roast lowish and slowish and longer rather than shorter for full succulence. Nigella's 180/250fan temps that Stokey linked to are better IMO than the M&S label at 200 deg for 1h 45, especially with stuffing. Meat thermometer is a good guide to getting it just right and the way you prefer it.

We still have two frozen turkeys in the freezer from last year - one smallish organic from Whole Foods as I got an extra one to have during the year but never got round to it.

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:21 pm

If we get our own way, with no interruptions from lovely bro or SFH, we will do the same as last year.
Order a seafood platter from the excellent fishmonger, with an upgrade to a whole lobster rather than a half.
We will go for a 7-8 mile walk, then back for hot showers, coffee and seafood probably about 4pm.
Veg out in front of a film and likely be in bed by 10.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:32 pm

The great thing about this is that it is already partially deboned and stuffed, and so will carve really easily.

I may not be able to use the goose fat for the roasties though, as DS1 is veggie and there simply aren't enough shelves in the oven to do 2 different roasties. I have to do a size and dish plan before Christmas anyway, to work out how to fit it all in :roll:

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:57 pm

As usual, there's no way I could plan this far ahead as none of the family has a clue what they'll be doing. I've been thinking of chasing them up as it does seem as though panic buying has started. I think you're very sensible, KC2.

Meant to say I've neither cooked nor eaten goose. I have always wanted to.
Last edited by Earthmaiden on Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Uschi » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:48 am

Roast goose is difficult. It looks huge, but does not really feed that many people. Axel and I usually go to a restaurant for "Martinsgans" (geese were slaughtered and eaten around St Martin's feast (11th of November), which marked the end of the farming year.
Of course geese are also eaten as a Christmas roast, but the restaurants are so full then.

I think it will be some kind of game or duck breasts with potato dumplings, lashings of gravy, red cabbage and baked apples stuffed with marzipan for Christmas here.

Aldi will have their Christmas baking ingredients in about a fortnight, so I must get out my recipes and do the maths ... Magic1

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:49 am

Uschi, in the U.K. we associate geese more with Michaelmas, the feast of St Michael and All the Angels

This is the 29th September, so it tends to coincide with the harvest festival and is one of the 4 quarter days at the change of the seasons on which rents are traditionally paid

Postby Seatallan » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:36 am

I do love a goose :yum

Not sure what we shall have. Either goose or a large free-range chicken. Am going to check if our local food hall is taking Christmas orders yet. It is usually around this time.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Uschi » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:57 am

Looks like the feasts had the same functions. The working year was wrapped up. I am not sure why there is a six week gap.

We have harvest festivals at the end of September/beginning of October, too.

I think there was a fasting period after St Martin's until Christmas, so all perishables had to be eaten and the animals that would not be needed over winter were slaughtered.
And new wine could be tasted, too.

We still have a tradtion in many places in Germany where children go around with lanterns on St Martin's Eve, singing Martin's songs (enticing people to share some of their goodies with the singers. St Martin shared his cloak with a beggar, so it is apt.
For us it marks the beginning of the Christmas period.

Or it used to. When I was little Christmas stuff did not appear from the end of August onwards. It was actually after St Martin's that shops were decorated with greenery and lights and people would start making presents for Christmas.

By Advent things would heat up for the last four weeks with St Nikolaus (6th of December, leaving sweets in children's boots or bundles of twigs if they were bad).
Advent Sundays were usually spent lighting a candle (or two or three or four, depending on which Sunday), for coffee and eating the first biscuits.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:16 am

If you read up on Martinmas here, it used to be a feast day and the start of a fast leading to Christmas (like Lent is for Easter). I wouldn't be surprised if we originally ate goose then.

I am always surprised that we dropped that fast. It seems to have been absorbed by Guy Fawkes night and Armstice Day, the modern form of Halloween and 6 weeks of greed.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox