Register

Tofu ideas

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Tofu ideas

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:20 am

I looked in my Moosewood Cookbook as well, Binky, SS, but I haven't got any of the others. They really take you back to an era, don't they?!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:14 am

Yes, Moosewood is a bit of a blast from the past, and between the cooperative and Mollie Katzen there are so many fairly similar books published over a 40 year period …

Anyway, my main message is if your sealed pack of tofu isn’t going to get used before the bb date, throw it in the freezer and when you thaw and drain it use it crumbled in a sauce (like picadillo) or marinate and bake or fry

Postby Binky » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:23 am

KeenCook2 wrote:I looked in my Moosewood Cookbook as well, Binky, SS, but I haven't got any of the others. They really take you back to an era, don't they?!

For me especially. My husband did a lot of work in the US from 1987 onwards. We eventually moved out there for three years. At that time, all we had in the UK were Cranks or Sarah Brown vegetarian cookery books. Both were stodgy wholemeal type recipes.

The US was a revelation; they were way ahead with health food shops, farmers markets and tons of vegetarian cookery books. A new pal who liked to introduce me to American ways also led me to the Mollie Katzen books and that's why I have nearly all of them. Nostalgia on a plate.

Postby scullion » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:32 pm

i beg to differ!
i went to a vegetarian school and our dinners were far from stodgy! (it had even produced its own cookbook or two).
when i was at college in london a friend and i used lots of our wednesday afternoons off to hunt out veg restaurants (and whole food) - there were more than we expected (late seventies).
(by then i had quite a few veg cookbooks - none of which was a moosewood one).
i also used to get a supply of cranks' end of day 'leftovers' from a chap at college who worked there in the evenings (very handy on a grant!).
i also worked in one, in truro, in the early eighties - definitely not stodgy!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:16 pm

A Cranks 1975 egg and cress roll would have defeated anyone wearing dentures I think, but they tasted good, and were a fine lunch when I worked near Marshall Street, their salads and pulse based dishes were a revelation to anyone whose experience of vegetarian food had been canteen macaroni and cheese and some salads, and student vegetable curry

I actually did prefer the food at Food for Thought (est. 1971), which KC2 and I have discussed before, and I think their food was quite similar to Moosewood in both ethos and style. After Covent Garden became a shopping area I often used to go in there, and end up sharing a table with other shoppers, and comparing notes on our finds

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_for_ ... restaurant)

Postby scullion » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:18 pm

i've added one or three moosewood cookbooks to my collection - i do like abe books (even if they are run by amazon) - very good copies for less than three quid each, postage free, has to be worth a punt ( cheaper than a packet of fags for the lot - my go to reasoning/excuse).

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:27 pm

Nice, which ones did you get, scully?

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:48 pm

The Internet Archive out of San Fransisco has (all?) the Moosewood books. They have a fair bit in the way of cookbooks, some digitised better than others but always useful for reference or if searching for a single or couple of recipes. No downloads, display/screenshots only. Need to sign up/in for display viewer and borrowing options. I often use the borrow for 1 hour option to peruse a book. Good resource tho.

https://archive.org/search.php?query=moosewood

and Molly Katzen books including the Enchtanted Broccoli Forest mentioned earlier
https://archive.org/details/enchantedbroccol00katz

I have several old thrift shop find copies of the 1970s Time Life World Cooking series including the one on Japan which has a lot of classical recipes including several for tofu and sauces. They also came with small spiral bound recipe-only books. Very interesting series as they were meticulously researched and often written by respected/known food writers of the day like MFK Fisher who wrote the Cooking of Provincial France. Series recipes have no metric and very few weights but worth chasing up the cups/weights.

The Cooking of Japan
https://archive.org/details/cookingofjapan00stei

Postby scullion » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:42 pm

i used to download books from the internet archive a lot but they changed the website/conditions and made it more difficult so i rarely bother now.
if i can pick them up for very little dosh i would rather have a paper copy of a cookbook than an electronic copy. i get irritated when the device switches off umpteen times when working through a recipe, having to wash hands to switch it back on again (unless i change the settings).

i bought-
Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special
Moosewood Cookbook
Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home: Creative Gardening for the Adventurous Cook

then later in the day i went for a ..'30 a day habit' .. and added
Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant, and
The Enchanted Broccoli Forest

i don't feel guilty...
i've had claudia roden's jewish cookbook and new middle eastern cookbook for similar prices.

unlike with burning fags, i can pass them on if i don't want to keep them - with no lung damage.

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:02 pm

:lol: :lol:

Trudat.

IA just went thru a protracted lawsuit with one or several publishers and ended up having to do view-only. They have improved the view tho.

I also use the other library you mention on the bread thread.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:03 am

scullion wrote:then later in the day i went for a ..'30 a day habit' .. and added
Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant, and
The Enchanted Broccoli Forest

You may find the description of an English cream tea in Sundays interesting :D

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox