Register

Smoothies and soups; help please

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Smoothies and soups; help please

Postby Sloe-Gin » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:31 pm

I've never been a smoothie person, but my fractured jaw dictates it's the only way I'm going to take them.

Has anybody got a favourite please to give me some inspiration? I've ordered blueberries, nectarines, strawberries and yoghurt. It's a start.

Veggie soups will be on the cards too, but I'm better with savoury flavours. We have a soup maker so nice smooth soup!

Re: Smoothies and soups; help please

Postby Uschi » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:48 pm

Do you like the milkshake type smoothies?
I used to puree banana, add a slosh of orange juice and yoghurt as my base, blitz and then add fruit and milk to taste, blitzing further. This is a meal in itself and made with Greek yoghurt or a slosh or cream quite nourishing.

You can add any sweetener you like, maple syrup, brown sugar, whatever, or just rely on the fruits' sweetness.
You can also use spices ... a hint of cinnamon works well with so many things.

As autumn is coming up, how about stuffing apples with marzipan, raisins, butter, cinnamon and sugar and baking them.

Make a large portion of custard, serve OH with his apple and custard, peel yours (it will slip out of its skin), blitz along with custard and maybe even a slosh of brandy and enjoy. Magic1

Postby liketocook » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:56 pm

Most soups can be pureed so I'd think about your favourites SG. "Cream of" types might be good if you are wanting to make sure you're calorie intake is okay. Could be worth having a look at "soft food" diet suggestions, loads of info online.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:59 pm

I used to do a lot of juicing (but got through so many juicers I stopped!). The best was parsnip, pear and ginger which is odd as I usually hate parsnips. I doubt you'd get that smooth enough for a smoothie though.

I've got Jason Vale's 'Funky Fresh Juice' book which has smoothies as well. There are so many but you'll need to get your nutrients (maybe some sort of egg flip concoction?) - these are examples -

1 ripe banana, 2 cups oat milk, 1 tsp raw cacao powder, 2 tsp runny honey

Vanilla, blueberry, almond milk, yogurt, ice

3 tbsp cashew butter, 4 tbsp natural yogurt, 300ml rice milk, 1 banana, 1 tsp honey

You can blitz anything that blitzes really - avocado, yogurt, different milks and nut butters blitz well. Flavouring such as lime, lemon, orange and ginger go well with green and salad veg. If you are having trouble cleansing your mouth I'd go easy on things like nuts or anything which might leave bits in your mouth you can't reach. Quite a few smoothie ideas contain some juiced fruits like apple, beetroot etc. I suppose it could be worth looking at buying juice to add.

Sounds as though you'll enjoy soup more!

Postby Sloe-Gin » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:10 pm

Oat milk!! Almond! Thank you.

Postby scullion » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:20 pm

thinking back to baby food... i used to blitz everything that we ate to feed the young - including peanut butter sandwiches! so i would go with uschi's previous suggestion and just 'smoothie' your normal meal - one of my favourites is cauliflower cheese soup. i make extra so there's leftovers.
dhal, muligatawny, fresh fruit milkshakes and even the rather lovely jamaican ginger cake milk shake!

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:28 pm

If you want to add food value to fruits/veg etc you can blitz them with silken tofu - when my mother was very ill and unable to eat, tofu blitzed with banana kept her going.

Postby Uschi » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:40 pm

Come to think of it, many fruit are acidic ... so for your teeth you can rinse after having had anything fruity.

Postby Amyw » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:11 pm

Would ready Brek style porridge work or not smooth enough? A handful of spinach works surprisingly well in smoothies and maybe look at protein powders to ensure you’re getting adequate protein

Postby ZeroCook » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:19 pm

Commiserations SG. Tough one and wishing you a good recovery.

Your question recalls my mother who never bought pureed food when we kids were tiny and not yet on solid food, but simply put whatever the family was having (separate bits or together) into the blender/food processor.

To liquefy, any flavour-compatible liquid can be add to thin - water, stock, milk, yogurt, juice etc.

McDonalds does very wide plastic straws (for their cold drinks and thick shakes :?) which might be useful - get someone to nab you some. :D

Postby Uschi » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:43 pm

There are wide straws available for sale for smoothies, bubble tea and the like. :thumbsup

Postby ZeroCook » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:17 am

There are. But depending where you are, it could be quicker to find a McD's to begin with while ordering online or looking for a local shop that sells them. Just a quick idea for in a pinch.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:57 am

A pharmacy that does supplies for “carers” should be able to get the straws on a quick order, or of course Boots and Amazon do overnight delivery

Talking of pharmacy, there are also the ready made nutrient rich milkshakes such as Ensure and Nutrament, some aren’t very nice but most people can find one that’s acceptable and they are an instant fix, no faffing, good for back up

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:57 am

ZeroCook wrote:.

McDonalds does very wide plastic straws (for their cold drinks and thick shakes :?) which might be useful - get someone to nab you some. :D

Not any more they don't, or at least they didn't yesterday according to DD. They've gone plastic free round here. Or there may be a supply problem.

Postby ZeroCook » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:09 am

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2021/08/25/br ... milkshake/
What is the world coming to?!

(have to add that I never eat McD's but OH occasionally does which is why straws were mentioned - haven't been in one for an absolute age uk or otherwise so it was an assumed memory - I'll get my coat :lol: )

SG, didn't intend to veer the topic - also good advice about medical nutrition drinks like Ensure which work very well for people who are not feeling great or not up to eating - very quick albeit very pharmaceutical way to get a meal's worth in a can. Worked well for family members.

Postby scullion » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:23 am

i've just had a read about the milkshake straw controversy - why don't people take their own straw if they know they're going to buy a milk shake, rather than complaining?
or maybe mcdonald's could offer a stainless steel one for an extra 50p (i bought a pack of six in aldi the other day for £2.99) - reusable or infinitely recyclable.

using a straw with sweet stuff would need to be thought about - direct it to different parts of the mouth so that there isn't a concentrated 'hose' of sugar in one place.

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:55 am

I bought thick paper straws for smoothies. They last long enough to drink it unless you intend drinking the same one slowly throughout the day.

I'm a bit wary of reusable ones after something hatched in a reusable curly straw we kept in a drawer. I think they come with their own brush though.

Great idea re the liquid meals. My father used to live on those during bouts of depression when he couldn't bring himself to eat and he found them quite palatable. Complan is another I think.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:17 am

Wow, lots of ideas here, thank you.
I have smoked gammon in the fridge, so tonight, OH can have his with the 'usuals' and I'll have pea and ham soup.
My lovely neighbour offered to get me a baby cup. I couldn't quite accept that one.

Postby liketocook » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:09 pm

I wouldn't dismiss a sippy cup SG. After parotid gland surgery a number of years ago, one side of my face was temporarily immobile/very painful I had one, it was a god send and really help the area rest and heal.

Postby Pampy » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:27 pm

When I gave up being a professional smoker, my coordination fell to pieces for a while and I knocked things over all the time. My boss bought me a baby cup in order to save my keyboard from being ruined - it worked!

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox