Register

Our Joan meets Terry and Pierre

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Site Admin

Our Joan meets Terry and Pierre

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:42 pm

Just discovered this on YouTube and had to share it - a complete Masterchef programme from 1990 (the very first series) - our Joan meets Pierre Koffman and Terence Conran! What a pompous eejit Conran is. "I don't think the meat and veg should be on the same plate... I like the blue plate though".

And look at his grimace when he tries Joan's lamb!!!

I won't give the game away and tell you who won... ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3aXrZ9Kku0

Re: Our Joan meets Terry and Pierre

Postby Busybee » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:59 pm

Great clip Sakkarin. Lovely to see Joan.

On the subject of plates I had the eternal bow set that the chap used. Though I was the bees knees when we got the set as a wedding present.

Probably classed as retro now.

BB

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:49 pm

Well, that was fun

Conran was a bit of a nuisance but I agree with him to a point, I wouldn't have put veg on the same serving plate as a joint of meat, it makes carving difficult, but then PK had to point out that of course the beans were a dodgy colour because they had been cooked with tomatoes

All the food was quite rich and quite boozy, I liked the look of Joan's tarts on that tray

I think Eternal Beau was a victim of its own success, so many people had not just the china but matching tablecloths, tea towels, trays, canisters etc it got to feel a bit overwhelming. I bought a fir bit as wedding presents!

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:12 pm

How lovely! Interesting to see the foods which seemed innovative at the time and to see how the programme has changed. Greg Wallace would not have been quite the thing there!

Eternal Beau became very popular, didn't it. I had a friend who married at around that time and had just about everything to match. My grandmother's everyday teaset was the same pattern as Joan's blue plates. I still use it.

Thanks Sakkarin. A gem.

Postby liketocook » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:15 pm

How lovely thanks Sakkarin. :D
Several of my friends had Eternal Beau as their wedding china plus all the themed side bits. Like Sue I certainly bought my fair share as gifts.

Postby Uschi » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:23 pm

Thanks for the link Sakkarin!

And it is lovely to "see" you! :wave

Postby Busybee » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:35 am

In addition to the Eternal Beau crockery my whole bedroom was decorated in The Diary of an Edwardian Lady style, duvet set, curtains and matching bedside lamps.

I was obviously a total sucker for fashion at that time, strange as now as I would say I have rather electic taste.

BB

Postby scullion » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:44 pm

it's an interesting watch, seeing how the style of food and the programme have changed - as well as the crockery.
i hadn't come across 'eternal beau' until a friend proudly displayed her set - wedding presents (extensive) - in the mid 'noughties'.
it was difficult finding words which wouldn't cause an affront. i hated it.
i have the crockery i had wanted since first seeing it when i was in my mid teens - thomas, thin platinum. i have to agree with conran on the plain white plate subject. i find patterned plates distract/detract from the food.
thanks, sakkarin - and good to 'see' you - i was concerned for your absence.

Postby Seatallan » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:57 pm

Nice one! A real trip down Memory Lane. Dear Joan- so good to see her (and you too, Sakkarin :wave: ).

Eternal Beau- blimey! That takes me back. Have to say I'm with Scully but it was certainly popular in its day wasn't it?
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Meganthemog » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:22 pm

scullion wrote:it's an interesting watch, seeing how the style of food and the programme have changed - as well as the crockery.
i hadn't come across 'eternal beau' until a friend proudly displayed her set - wedding presents (extensive) - in the mid 'noughties'.
it was difficult finding words which wouldn't cause an affront. i hated it.
i have the crockery i had wanted since first seeing it when i was in my mid teens - thomas, thin platinum. i have to agree with conran on the plain white plate subject. i find patterned plates distract/detract from the food.
thanks, sakkarin - and good to 'see' you - i was concerned for your absence.

Yes I too have the Thomas thin platinum - have had it for 30 years or more. Fortunately it is still readily available as I have to replace bits from time to time.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:38 pm

Here's that grimace Terry gives as he tries Joan's lamb...

...and by coincidence I had a couple of old Argos catalogues out yesterday, here's the 1983 one featuring Eternal Beau. The Willow Pattern above it was my mum's favourite, even as a kid I didn't get the point. Not to my taste, either of them, simplicity and understatement for me, although I suppose if it's going to have flowers, those are fairly restrained on the EB!

Postby liketocook » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:21 pm

Both my grandmother's adored the willow pattern and had various sets some of which were quite old from when they were married. One glance of it takes me right to childhood. :)

Postby miss mouse » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:14 pm

scullion wrote:thanks, sakkarin - and good to 'see' you - i was concerned for your absence.

"Yes" to both, I too was concerned but did not want to intrude.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox