Register

Waste not want not

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Waste not want not

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:33 pm

It was aero who once mentioned adding butter to porridge - and it may also have been he who mentioned grated cheese. Both are surprisingly good, I have added several savoury things along with cheese (and yes, I also love golden syrup, maple syrup, brown sugar etc!).

Postby liketocook » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:03 pm

Yes I'm sure I remember that EM. Cream on porridge always makes me think of holidays growing up usually you just had wait your turn to get the top of the milk. I'm not a fan of sweet porridge, just a pinch of salt for me please, but cream on it is gorgeous.
My Gran used to make leek porridge which is basically a leek & oatmeal thick gruel. Blooming fab on a cold day with a well buttered homemade soda scone to dip after one of the long bracing walks my Dad & Papa were so fond of. I think it's Irish more than Scottish and was basically leeks fried in bacon fat or dripping plus oats, water, salt, lots of pepper and at the end a splash of milk. A real something out of not very much meal. I can imagine some grated cheese on top would be good.

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:07 am

I must try savoury porridge.

Not a lot gets binned when you have a dog.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:14 am

I've got 8 small and incredibly sour satsumas (they might be mandarins or tangerines). I don't really want to eat them or make them into anything containing sugar or flour. I'll probably end up just eating them with a screwed up face unless anyone has any brilliant ideas!

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:26 am

Use the juice in place of lemon? Though that will probably only get through a couple

Postby scullion » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:30 am

liketocook wrote:Was it someone on here who mentioned freezing squeezed lemon halves? At least, the non-waxed ones. I've got some and now have to work out what to do with them!

I think it might have been scully or Zero Cook .[/quote]

not me - if i have a load i salt them and make preserved lemons from them - using bottled juice to cover them.
you could candy them for using in a cake mix or, if just the juice is needed in a recipe, zest them before juicing and freeze the zest.

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:43 am

I’d do Nigella’s clementine cake. B****r the sugar.

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/clementine-cake

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:49 am

I'm the only person in the universe who's not mad about the clementine cake :oops: .

Sue, I don't know why I didn't think of that! I often use them if I've run out of lemon and these would be ideal! They are small so there won't be too much and they'll keep for another week or so I should think.

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:01 am

Make pancakes and use them instead of lemon? You’d have been won over by KC2’s Clem cake. Much better than mine.

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:02 am

Oh. You don’t want flour either. Sorry.

Postby liketocook » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:17 am

scullion wrote:
liketocook wrote:Was it someone on here who mentioned freezing squeezed lemon halves? At least, the non-waxed ones. I've got some and now have to work out what to do with them!

I think it might have been scully or Zero Cook .

not me - if i have a load i salt them and make preserved lemons from them - using bottled juice to cover them.
you could candy them for using in a cake mix or, if just the juice is needed in a recipe, zest them before juicing and freeze the zest.[/quote]
Sorry scully but that sounds like an excellent use up.

EM , I know you're not a big pork fan but this recipe works well with chicken thighs. https://www.waitrose.com/home/recipes/r ... juice.html

Postby liketocook » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:18 pm

Last wrap has been used and the spring onions are needed for tomorrow's pork burgers. Got there! :D

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:37 pm

ltc - the pork/chicken recipe looks nice. I have just come back from Sainsburys with a rtc chicken which I intend to put in the slow cooker overnight. I think I'll coat it in the marinade and see what happens!

I'm sure KC2's clementine cake was delicious. When I have made it myself, the house has stunk of oranges for days afterwards and the cake has been a bit claggy :lol:.

Postby liketocook » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:52 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:ltc - the pork/chicken recipe looks nice. I have just come back from Sainsburys with a rtc chicken which I intend to put in the slow cooker overnight. I think I'll coat it in the marinade and see what happens!

Sounds good EM :yum

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:50 am

ltc - the flavours have gone into the chicken very well (I've been picking bits off the bones) and the stock will make a great soup base. Quite a successful experiment, thank you. 3 satsumas left!

NB - as it was slow cooking overnight I didn't add any parsley.

Postby liketocook » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:59 am

Excellent EM, it sounds delicious done in slow cooker now for the other satsumas! :) Carrots glazed with satsuma juice instead of orange juice to go with the chicken perhaps?
I've had to bin a peach, it's gone from not quite ripe yesterday to green and furry overnight. :( There must have point in the early hours when it was perfect! :lol:

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:07 am

Your peach and my two small avocados, LTC. Which were almost perfect yesterday. Will cut open and inspect. Am sure it has something to do with picking unripe fruit and long warehouse storage times. Messes up ripening clocks.

Your slow cooked satsuma chicken sounds excellent EM - care to share what you did pls? :D

I do freeze lemons and limes, mostly zest, but I did mention that Claudia Roden often mentions freezing whole and sliced lemons. For already squeezed lemons I often quarter and keep in a jar with 5% salt brine, which allows them to ferment like preserved lemons without using lemon juice. Same flavour and texture - a lot of recipes only want the skin anyway. I occasionally dry them for adding to specific South Asian and Middle Eastern dishes. I also make lemon and lime pickle with them after I've collected a jarful, boiling the pieces in a little of the brine for a few minutes until just cooked through and mixing with the usual spices.

I also make candied peel from various citrus peels - much nicer than bought.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:43 am

ZeroCook wrote:Your slow cooked satsuma chicken sounds excellent EM - care to share what you did pls? :D

Took the marinade ingredients from ltc's pork recipe (about 7 posts up from here), poured them over the chicken (but no parsley) in the slow cooker set to medium and went to bed. One well cooked and tasty chicken in the morning. I like cooking chicken in the slow cooker to have cold or to freeze and the resulting stock is always good.

I've frozen lemons before.

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:14 am

Ok thanks EM - saw the post but didn't click the link. Good flavour combo and chicken seems very suitable, probably more so than pork for North African/Middle Easternish flavours.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:11 am

That's a great tip on the lemons, Zero.
I'll adopt that. To think of all the lemons I've squeezed in the past and lobbed into the recyling!

And I've tried preserving lemons in salt, and in olive oil. And by far prefer the salted version.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox