Register

Waste not want not

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Waste not want not

Postby halfateabag » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:11 am

Will Long Life milk freeze well? I normally buy semi skimmed fresh milk (2 litres) and freeze half for another time when I may not be going to town.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:41 am

I think I saw small cartons in my local Tesco along with the plant-based and normal long life milk :thumbsup

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:16 pm

I've tried freezing milk, it doesn't work for me, just doesn't fit into the way things are scheduled for one person who doesn't drink the stuff at all

If I have excess long life I usually make yogurt with it, long life makes better yogurt, which doesn't taste of UHT, but currently not eating yogurt

Postby liketocook » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:31 pm

I will sometimes freeze whole milk. It's not something I use that often so only buy if needed for a recipe. I find it freezes okay for cooking, much better than semi skimmed does.
Unfortunately no small cartons of long life in local Tesco just 1l or multi pack options.

Postby ZeroCook » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:12 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:During my clearing, I've come across some "longlife" milk I stowed away during lockdown etc.

It expired at the end of January - how longlife is longlife, do you think?

I think it depends on the brand and whether it's "extended life" or UHT/ultra pasteurised. For example, this dairy ultra pasteurises many of their products they and last 9 months it says here.

There should be a best by or use by date on it. That said, I've used UHT single and whipping cream several months after the use by date with no ill effects. Equally, I have opened and tossed cartons. I always pour a little out and have a teeny tiny tip of tongue taste first and don't swallow it. :shock: :lol: I do store that sort of thing in the fridge, not room temp cupboard. If in doubt, toss.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:41 pm

ZeroCook wrote:KeenCook2 wrote:
During my clearing, I've come across some "longlife" milk I stowed away during lockdown etc.

I think it depends on the brand and whether it's "extended life" or UHT/ultra pasteurised. For example, this dairy ultra pasteurises many of their products they and last 9 months it says here.

There should be a best by or use by date on it.

When KC2 says it “expired” in January I assume that’s the BB date?

The dairy you link to, Moo, is the one that used to do the single serving cartons

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:28 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:
ZeroCook wrote:KeenCook2 wrote:
During my clearing, I've come across some "longlife" milk I stowed away during lockdown etc.

There should be a best by or use by date on it.

When KC2 says it “expired” in January I assume that’s the BB date?

Yes, Best Before and it is UHT.

I think I'm going to try opening it the next time I'm making a bechamel (or 3!!!) and if it's gone off I'll dump it and use fresh milk :thumbsup

(But the next lasagne I'm planning to make is the Ottolenghi one Smitch linked to on one of the other threads, that uses a non-cook bechamel :lol: :lol: )

Postby halfateabag » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:27 pm

On bechamel toppings/sauces I bought 8 of those french packet mixes and they are authentic and great. Todays moussaka had one with an egg yolk and has set to a T !

Postby ZeroCook » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:40 am

Stokey Sue wrote:When KC2 says it “expired” in January I assume that’s the BB date?

Yep. Did. Duh. That's a reeeeeally long time :geek:

Finally getting through a lot of non perishable lockdown stuff and replenishing with new/fresh. Still have quite a bit of pasta.

Do dried grains and pulses ever become totally unusable or unsafe to eat? I have some really really old dried beans, some of which I've used as baking beans and some of which I have tried cooking after very long soaking but found there were quite a lot that just didn't soften after hours and hours.

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:28 am

Unless they've got mould or weevils, I would suggest that ancient dried goods are edible, just possibly a bit chewy and requiring of more soaking and cooking. (I would suppose that weevils are edible, but moulds can be nasty!)

I've yet to find many things that won't soften in a pressure cooker. The notable exception was a piece of venison a few years ago, but old pulses, even ex-baking ones, tenderise eventually. :D

Postby liketocook » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:31 am

I'd agree BM with exception of some ancient chick peas that came from my Dad's which even after much pressure cooking refused to soften. That said they could've been decades rather than years old........

Postby aero280 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:53 am

We are putting a new floor in the utility room this week :o. The washing machine leaked and the floor has "drooped" :(

So, in clearing the fitted units before removing them temporarily, we found these...

IMG_3967.JPG
IMG_3967.JPG (78.23 KiB) Viewed 2869 times

All are still sealed. The Tesco pears in syrup have a best before date of 1999 and the French jars were bought in the Dordogne and are BBE 2002. Shall we try them, or just bin them?

Postby scullion » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:02 am

i think the discolouration looks a little less than appetising. i'd be inclined to open them, sniff, feed them to the worm bin and re-use the jars.

try cooking the beans with a bit of bi-carb - it helps to soften them.
ZeroCook wrote:Do dried grains and pulses ever become totally unusable or unsafe to eat?

i've eaten a four hundred year old dried pea that had been buried in a store by an arctic explorer - i'm not dead yet.

Postby ZeroCook » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:16 am

That's a scary question Aero! I'm always pretty game for trying just about anything including a fair amount past its use by date. But. And it's a big but. I have had bad results on a couple of occasions :o :shock: It's made me a little more circumspect these days. I'd probably try the pears but don't know if I'd have the nerve to try the boeuf and poule. :lol:

But I did find this:
https://www.holisticsurvival.com/blog/h ... st-anyway/

Which would add a few notches to trying it just because!

You could always test some on the cat first! :D

Might try the bicarb, Scullion. But they might be like LTC's dad's chickpeas!

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:19 am

I opened my 20+ year old jar of cherries in brandy syrup found during my kitchen clean out

They weren’t “off”, just faded, not in colour which was still good as they’ve never been in the light, - the fruits were over soft, and although the juice tasted of alcohol, I doubt the most expert palate would have identified either cherry or cognac.

Binned.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:23 am

Interesting, aero. I'd be a little nervous about meat but if the lids haven't blown and the contents look/smell ok then maybe try a small spoonful and wait 24 hours! I believe that canned goods from WW1 are still edible.

That's a shame, Sue!

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:29 am

One of the problems with eating old produce, particularly meat or fish, is that even if it is wholesome, the uncertainty generates a feeling of unease that might not be worth the warm glow of avoiding waste!

Postby liketocook » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:01 am

Much as I hate waste I don't think I could bring myself to eat those!

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:16 pm

Any idea for what to do with leftover chippy chips - nice ones, grease-free, chunky, crispy bits? I have enough to feed every seagull in Stokey

Thinking tortilla, or ?

Postby liketocook » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:53 pm

Tortilla was my first idea. Chippy chips freeze well, just portion and use as oven chips. Chopped and squished they also make a good base for bubble & squeak or as a hash brown type potato cake. They are also good, cut into chunks seasoned with something spicy and roasted until crispy as a side for chilli. These I've all tried successfully before, I like the idea of chippy chips but can only ever manage a few.
I've not tried this bake but it does sound as though it would work https://foodonthetable.co.uk/leftover-c ... %20More%20

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox