Register

Waste not want not

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Waste not want not

Postby liketocook » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:20 pm

I've had a "moment" in the mash department - as I needed some for tonight's cottage pie I thought I may as well make a decent sized batch only to realise past the point of no return I had done exactly the same a couple of weeks ago. :oops: So if anyone wants a dollop or five lobbed their way let me know, it's rather decent if I do say so myself. ;) Will have think tomorrow and might make some bacon rissoles or tuna fishcakes for the freezer if there's enough space to accommodate them otherwise I'll be adding to the frozen portions collection! I've already made "an heir & spare" in the cottage pie department and don't want to use all the ox cheek stew up this way.
Any other suggestions that don't take up a lot of freezer room that can be made using store cupboard stuff - I have about 500g spare and there's just me here until December 10th?

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:34 pm

I've got a tin of corned beef that's waiting for some mash to make hash, so that's my first suggestion. Alternatively I suppose champ or bubble, but they don't use store cupboard ingredients.
Mash could be used instead of potato pieces as a binder in fillings for pies, pasties, samosas or quesadillas. For example with bacon, apple & onion for fidget pie, cauliflower or pea curry samosas, chorizo and cheese quesadillas.

Postby halfateabag » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:05 am

I have added mash (in small amounts) to soup in the past, it thickens and gives a creaminess. Good in winter soups.

Postby liketocook » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:31 pm

Great suggestions thanks BM and I'm pretty sure I have a tin of corned beef in the cupboard. :yum
Yes I often add a dollop of mash to soup Zosh to thicken it, it works really well. :)

Postby liketocook » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:33 pm

Badger's Mate wrote:I've got a tin of corned beef that's waiting for some mash to make hash, so that's my first suggestion.

Corned beef hash for made up for tonight (once I managed to open the keyless tin!) and lots for the freezer. I'm really looking forward to it as it's a long time since I've had it. Thanks for the suggestion BM surplus mash is now accounted for. :D

Postby chihuahua8 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:22 pm

I quite often cook up a load of spuds, mash, then freeze in portion amounts, works well. I wrap each portion in something like clingfilm and when frozen, I store the parcels in a plastic bag or box in the freezer.
JeanT

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:05 pm

:thumbsup

Postby liketocook » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:34 pm

chihuahua8 wrote:I quite often cook up a load of spuds, mash, then freeze in portion amounts, works well. I wrap each portion in something like clingfilm and when frozen, I store the parcels in a plastic bag or box in the freezer.
JeanT

That's what I usually do though I open freeze 1/2 cup dollops on a tray then stash them in a box or bag once frozen, working on the premise that if I'm going to using the potato ricer anyway I may as well make big batch. :) Unfortunately this time I forgot I had already done this just a couple of weeks ago and already had a large stash of frozen portions. With freezer space precious in the run up to Christmas I wanted to avoid adding to this but of course now have portions of hash to squeeze in. :lol:

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:47 pm

Very unsuccessful attempt to use up some frozen h-m duck stock in leek and potato soup. It tasted awful, and I chucked it.
I guess it had been there too long. I can't remember when we last had a whole roast duck - definitely pre-covid. So must have been at least a couple of years old.

Am now wondering about some frozen chicken stock, but I know that's probably about 3 months old. I ought to date stuff when I freeze it really.

Perhaps that could be one of my NY resolutions!!

Postby liketocook » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:16 pm

What a shame KC2, I've only had that happen to fish stock (and some chorizo) that had been frozen for an embarrassingly long time (much more than a couple of years :oops: ). At least it was "only" soup and not something with lots of expensive ingredients in it. I've never had any problem with elderly chicken stock and 3 months would be a relative newcomer in my freezers :lol: .

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:42 pm

I've never had anything go off in the freezer - must have been lucky! I do label things (I got a nice little set of labels with a special pen from Lakeland years ago after too many mystery objects!). What a shame your soup was spoilt :(.

Postby aero280 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:12 am

I've given up on labels and write directly on the plastic with a permanent marker.

When I first did this, I wiped the permanent marker off with some adhesive remover I use for DIY and the car. Unfortunately it stank :( Then I realised that the Lakeland food essences are made with alcohol :( Wiping the marker off with "Lime Extract" is much more preferable, and makes use of the second bottle I bought by mistake!! :D

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:38 am

I use either masking tape or Micropore tape (white first aid tape) as the label and write on it with a Sharpie
Cheap and effective, I think micropore is slightly better, smoother surface to write on.
I gave up dating years ago, but I do rotate things fairly often.

Postby liketocook » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:48 pm

I use masking tape and a sharpie to label. I only usually date fish and seafood as I find although they don't go off as such the texture & taste can change if left too long in the freezer.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:42 pm

It's comforting to know I'm not the only person with embarrassingly long frozen objects ... unidentified or not! The idea of micropore/similar is good as we have plenty of that and masking tape.

Talking of frozen objects, was it on this thread we talked about freezing squeezed lemons/limes? I have a bag of them and can't remember what I was going to use them for :oops:

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:56 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:Talking of frozen objects, was it on this thread we talked about freezing squeezed lemons/limes? I have a bag of them and can't remember what I was going to use them for :oops:

Nancy Birtwhistle, in her book 'Clean and Green' recommends using half a lemon (or a couple of squeezed ones, in a small bowl covered with just boiled water and then microwaved for a couple of minutes will freshen up the inside of the microwave and make wiping down easier

She also suggests using a half lemon and salt is good for rubbing on wooden spoons and chopping boards to freshen them up

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:17 pm

We did discuss lemon and lime shells on this thread, if you just put the word lemon in the search box at the top of the thread it brings them all up (I tend to forget how easy it is to search within a topic)

I think the main things we came up with were microwave cleaning, and salting, since the rinds is the main bit you use with a salted lemon

Postby miss mouse » Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:47 pm

aero280 wrote:Wiping the marker off with "Lime Extract" is much more preferable, and makes use of the second bottle I bought by mistake!! :D

When the lime extract runs out I suggest replacing it with surgical spirit.

Masking tape (who gave me that tip?) and a biro here.

Postby aero280 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:07 pm

I think this comes under the "waste not want not" heading.

Morrisons are removing "use by" dates from milk. Instead they suggest that the milk is sniffed to see if it's still OK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59928650

Postby miss mouse » Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:28 pm

Oh. That sounds good for public health, other peoples' drippy noses in the milk. Marvellous.

Morrissons has been bought by a private equity company hasn't it? They will be too busy asset-stripping to bother about milk hygiene.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox