Register

Waste not want not

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Waste not want not

Postby liketocook » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:18 pm

Thanks for all the lemon ideas :D . I've never thought twice about ditching squeezed shells before :oops: though do freeze whole or sliced lemons & limes from time to time. I'll be freezing these too from now. I often add lemon quarters to chicken traybakes just to add some extra flavour these would be ideal for this.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:23 pm

What I mostly do with squeezed shells is put them in a small bowl of water and steam clean the microwave

I'm not sure the lemon actually makes the steam more effective in removing grime, but it does chase out nasty niffs lurking in the ventilation

Postby liketocook » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:08 pm

Yes I like to do that too Sue or if not lemon shells just splash of juice in the water.

Random use up for lunch - leftover salad from last night, ditto a couple of smoked anchovies and a few olives :yum from a packs my sister brought over for nibbles yesterday, last splodge from a bottle of Caesar style dressing, the sprinkle of croutons from a bag that DS2 brought back with him and the two remaining Finn Crisp crackers from an open pack. It was very good.

Postby ZeroCook » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:14 am

Really good idea for steaming the microwave :D

Hey, Gill. We use so many lemons and limes it seemed mad not not to use the skins whenever possible.

Here's another WNWN - posting as I made it yesterday- think I posted before somewhere, but worth posting again for using old or unrefreshed sourdough starter.

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipe ... ets-recipe

And other recipes for leftover starter

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipe ... rd-recipes

A crumpet in action

Postby liketocook » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:09 pm

Thanks for those ZC I've bookmarked them, I often do end up wasting discard so handy to have some ideas. :)

Yesterday's cauliflower was more leaves than flower. I usually use the leaves up in soup, stir fry or add them to what I'm making but last night I chopped and steamed them to have with our roast. With a knob of butter and some salt & pepper they were delicious. :yum

Postby scullion » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:22 pm

talking of wasted cauliflower - on the coast road to godrevy, yesterday, we passed a field with caulis that had gone past the curd stage and were flowering - another brexit spinoff.
maybe there is a place for increasing the 'pick your own' system...

Postby liketocook » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:45 pm

Such a waste scully, perhaps as you say pick your own options might become more popular though no doubt there's lots of issues for growers with that too so it might not be cost effective for them.
Last year one of the farms in the area ran a pumpkin picking event, they usually supply to hotels etc. which were closed. By all accounts it was a great day but took a lot of organising and afterwards they posted that while the event had sold out they wouldn't do it again as they had lost money. That said simple pick your own might be less costly.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:14 pm

Presumably there's a lot of 'elf & safety to comply to as well as providing facilities and parking. Our local PYO fruit place needed quite a lot of paid staff for marshalling, weighing/money collection etc. I have a feeling you have to provide things like lavatory facilities and even portaloos need maintaining. Such a shame.

Postby liketocook » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:53 pm

Yes I think it was all the required add ins that made the event lose money.

Postby liketocook » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:48 am

Sourdough discard and a surplus small spoonful of yoghurt added to a simple flour/water flatbread mix last night to have with our curry traybake. It added a really lovely flavour but they would have been better I think if I had made the dough in advance and let it sit for a while as they were slightly tough, though DS2 said I was being overly critical!

Postby WWordsworth » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:55 pm

I was working today so I took a sandwich made from half a tin of leftover tuna.

J was at home.
His fridge-clearing lunch was
Half a beetroot
A chunk of cheddar
Tomatoes from the garden
Lettuce from the garden
A couple of sticks of celery
Left over lentils from last night
A slice of bread
And a pork pie..........hmm, that wasn't in the fridge this morning.

Postby liketocook » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:24 pm

Excellent use ups WW, sounds OH had a feast and the pork pie complimented the leftovers beautifully. :lol:

Postby ZeroCook » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:12 am

I add a tablespoon or two of unrefreshed starter to pizza dough for flavour and crust texture. I usually fridge the dough overnight or up to a few days (less yeast than same day) for max effect.

Did the microwave lemon steam - worked great!

Postby liketocook » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:53 pm

Yes I added some discard to my last batch of pizza dough ZC and that worked really well. I think the flatbreads would just needed more time than I gave them. I'll make sure they get it the next time I make them that way.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:46 pm

During my clearing, I've come across some "longlife" milk I stowed away during lockdown etc.

It expired at the end of January - how longlife is longlife, do you think?

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:23 pm

I would open with caution, probably actually in the sink
I always have a carton of it, as I don't always have fresh milk, and sometimes it seems to last well past it's expected date, sometimes not, but 9-10 months might be pushing it

Postby Suelle » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:58 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:During my clearing, I've come across some "longlife" milk I stowed away during lockdown etc.

It expired at the end of January - how longlife is longlife, do you think?

In my experience long-life milk curdles quite soon after expiry date - I would be wary of anything more than a few weeks out of date. Doesn't hurt to open it carefully though.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby liketocook » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:36 pm

I suspect it may be a case of one lump or two :lol:
Like Sue and Suelle I've found it doesn't keep much past it's BBE. I've given up buying it as a "just in case" as I was always forgetting about it.

Postby Suelle » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:47 pm

liketocook wrote:I suspect it may be a case of one lump or two :lol:
Like Sue and Suelle I've found it doesn't keep much past it's BBE. I've given up buying it as a "just in case" as I was always forgetting about it.

I'm annoyed that you can't buy half litres of long-life milk now. I don't use any milk routinely, but keep one long-life carton in case visitors want tea or coffee. As it nears it's expiry, I use it to make rice pudding, cauliflower cheese or similar, and replace it.

But a litre of milk is hard to use at once, when cooking for one, even allowing for freezing portions.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:14 am

You used to be able to buy the individual serving cartons (250ml?) of plain UHT milk in packs of 3 or 4, just right for cheese sauce or custard but now only flavoured milkshakes

Morrison’s still have 500ml cartons, just hard to find among all the non-dairy stuff

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox