Register

Meal planning - love or loathe?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Meal planning - love or loathe?

Postby scullion » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:22 am

Stokey Sue wrote: ISO is International Standards Organisation

to me, it's a photographic film speed ( from the same organisation).

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:29 am

Stokey Sue wrote: ISO is International Standards Organisation

Me too, what is it in other contexts? :oops:

Postby liketocook » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:40 am

I don't mind abbreviations but they can be a bit of pain if you can't work out what they are from the context.
ISO (I think means) in search of.

NLB when COVID struck I think a lot of people found themselves in your position. As I mentioned earlier my sister isn't a meal planner and really struggled with not popping to the shops almost daily and was always running out of things. Now things have eased a bit she's sort of returned to her old habits though as she is WFH tends to go every few days rather than daily. That said, going by various media reports I've read post lockdown demand for online supermarket deliveries remain much higher than pre-COVID though of course that doesn't necessarily mean more folk are meal planning.

Postby Suffs » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:47 am

In Search Of?

When I first came to the BBC food message board and shortly after to Wildfood, I worked out DD, SS, MIL etc ... realised that SIL needs context :lol: and sussed out IIRC and IMHO etc ... EVOO left me nonplussed for a while but I got there eventually ... I've rarely resorted to googling cooking terms ... but Urban-speak or whatever does sometimes find me resorting to 'looking it up, usually on Urban Dictionary https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... et%20slang .

Yesterday DS (dear son) emailed me and referred to the FCO ... even knowing the context I had to google that one ... Foreign & Commonwealth Office .. :roll: I think that's one you either know or you don't .... and for me, having grown up on a farm, AI will always mean Artificial Insemination ... which sometimes causes some odd thoughts when others are talking about computers etc. :lol:

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:57 am

Thanks all, I've finally looked up IIRC!

ISO definitely film speed first and then International Standards ...

Agree re AI too. I do a double take every time I see it written.

I'm gradually cottoning on to WFH without having to stop and think.

We've moved away from meal planning haven't we!

Postby liketocook » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:15 pm

Moving back to meal planning :lol:
Tomorrow is our meal planning day so today I'll have a look at my "to make" list, check out the fridge etc. and have look at what might be on special offer in the supermarket so I can come up with a few suggestions for DS2. He's on holiday next week so I'll be keeping it very flexible.

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:10 pm

In a completely different context I had to explain to Mrs B, 'COYS' at the bottom of an email from a friend. (Come On You Spurs). Liverpool fans use YNWA (You'll Never Walk Alone) in a similar vein.

ETA :D

Entertaining tomorrow, Friday and Monday - Delivery coming Thursday. Meals planned but having to guess what perishables I can order that will last from delivery until next week.

I think that's three topics in one post. TTIOP?

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:18 pm

I have done some planning I bought spinach for something I didn't make so I have cooked some black eyed peas to make a something - I have also remembered ot removed root ginger from the freezer (I can't grate it from cold, my hand goes funny)

My sanseveria is known as Milly
Because it's a mother in law's tongue, so MiL then Milly, she was a rescue (got shut in a lock up shop over the first lock down)

Postby mistakened » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:13 pm

My plans tend to be based on what looks good today, sometimes plans don't work. I had intended to have a trout, egg and potato salad this evening, tomorrow was going to a Cantaloupe melon with ham and various bits. About half an hour ago I went into the kitchen to cook the eggs and potatoes and was overwhelmed by the smell of melon. So it is now melon etc tonight, the smoked trout will keep

Moira

Postby liketocook » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:57 pm

mistakened wrote:My plans tend to be based on what looks good today, sometimes plans don't work. I had intended to have a trout, egg and potato salad this evening, tomorrow was going to a Cantaloupe melon with ham and various bits. About half an hour ago I went into the kitchen to cook the eggs and potatoes and was overwhelmed by the smell of melon. So it is now melon etc tonight, the smoked trout will keep

Moira

Yes Moira I often end up switching things about if something decides it needs using up sooner rather than later. Unfortunately last week a melon decided to jump from not quite ripe one day to squishy the next. There must have been a brief perfect point some time in the early hours. My lunch time plans to have a prawn & watermelon salad for lunch were scuppered and it was prawn, cucumber & mayo sandwich instead.

Postby northleedsbhoy » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:10 pm

Oh, sorry :o. Didn’t realise that I’d opened up such a can of worms, but I do really struggle at times with what some folks, especially Zosh at times (sorry) is trying to say :oops:.

Anyway, back to topic. As I said I do find it difficult and this afternoon I’ve put in a Sainsbury’s order that will most definitely be changed quite a few times before 11.00pm on Tuesday. Staples, such as potatoes, carrots, swede etc are high on the list because they’re heavy to carry back on the bus, but there’s no real plan of what I’m going to eat - a visit to there, Tesco etc will be made for meat and other things that I prefer to buy by looking at sell/use by dates etc as I’ve found that some are on the bare minimum that they say when ordering. What I make fro the ingredients will be a mystery until I make it though :lol:

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby liketocook » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:46 pm

Ah so you do have a plan NLB- shop first, decide later :lol: :lol:
One of the best things for me about grocery deliveries is there's no lugging heavy stuff, bad enough if you have a car but dire on the bus!

Postby Uschi » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:26 pm

NLB, if it is any consolation, I am forever looking up abbreviations - and then promptly forget and have to do it again next time.
ETA for me is the Basque Liberation front, and ISO relates to film. :lol:

I am lousy at planning, but good at improvising.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:34 pm

Couldn’t be bothered to cook the spinach thing and accompanying chapattis, couldn’t stand that long

Tortellini, broad beans, jarred pesto, in the end

Postby slimpersoninside » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:43 pm

As we mainly shop online we try to have a rough plan to make sure we order what we need over the next 2-3 weeks. Having said this we tend to have many options in the freezer and pick what we're having the day before and get it out. We have a mixture of frozen veg and shop for fresh as and when.

Postby halfateabag » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:13 am

Sorry ! :oops: I really did not mean to put people in a scurry over my shorthand ! It think it comes from my college days and Pitmanscript. I also text in shorthand, if U C wot I mean. U av 2 B clvr 2 read ths rbish. I think there is a quiz on TV where they take out the vowels and there is normally a theme at the beginning of the session. Only Connect !!! I do manage to get most of them !!

Anyway, the fish was delish with a lemon and FLP! sauce, we ate it yesterday sat out in the sun. The mange tout from the garden went beautifully with the fish and some baby potatoes (pots).

As there are a pile of very ripe toms on the kitchen window ledge we will be having gazpacho with all the trimmings for lunch today. Yesterday I made the basis of Shakshuka for nuther day. I am finding that I have to pick the toms slightly underripe or the slugs race me to the ripe ones.

Postby scullion » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:22 am

halfateabag wrote: U av 2 B clvr 2 read ths rbish.

no you don't.
i didn't do typing and shorthand. it wasn't taught at my school, but taking unnecessary vowels out is how i took notes at uni before writing out in full when i got home.
it is well known that as long as the first and last letter in a word is in the right place, the rest can be jumbled and the word is still, usually, 'readable'.
i, too, find that round in only connect easy.

ps. even my young frown on my partner when he (ab)uses textspeak. they never use it. it seem that the few people i know who do are in the over fifty age group.

Postby liketocook » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:10 pm

Meal Plan 27/08 – 02/09
• Fri- breaded cod and baked spud
• Sat – Korean style chicken wings, corn and wedges
• Sun – Lamb steaks, pea & green beans and pea puree. Loosely based on this recipe https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/lamb ... _pea_87797 shown last week on "Saturday Kitchen Best Bites"
• Mon- Homemade pizza & salad
• Tue – Sweet & sour sausages https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/a ... ince-pasta
• Wed – Chicken Zafrani, rice & naan. Recipe from the "The Curry Guy Bible" that DS2 is wanting to try.
• Thu –Pasta with tomato & onion. Baked feta with chilli stirred through. Thanks Kacey :)

A few new things for us this week but with the exception of the curry, which DS2 will sort out, nothing with too much by way of prep or faffing about.

Postby Suffs » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:09 pm

LTC ... I'd be interested in the recipe you use for the Korean chicken wings ... if it's not too much trouble ... no rush tho' :D

Postby liketocook » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:44 pm

Will ask DS2 and get back to you suffs. :)

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox