Register

Wild about Chatter ... Vol 9

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wild about Chatter ... Vol 9

Postby scullion » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:55 pm

good morning, all.
overcast with sunny aspirations.
nothing planned for today although i need to pot on some broccoli plants, pot up some chitted (sprouted!) potatoes for christmas, do some sewing and attend a webinar titled 'eating to extinction' - with dan saladino (he's talking, not sitting next to me...)
that's shocking, s-g.
personally i'd go for the wired jaw. i'm sure there are mouthwashes that will decrease the possibility of tooth decay - and you retain your bite. having been on the receiving end of years of braces as a child/teenager, having to adjusting the way you eat to accommodate the way your molars come together differently lasts a very long time.
it takes quite a while for teeth to decay and there's possibly a way of coating them (like they do with a sort of fluoride varnish for some children) to stop it.
with an added advantage of weight loss‽‽‽
whichever, i hope you make the right decision for you.
i forgot that bakeoff started last night. i have set it to record, for tonight, on 4seven.
have a good day, everyone.

Postby Uschi » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:56 pm

Sloe, difficult decision as the others say.

Just remember that you can just blitz many ordinary meals, so no need for making soups every day. You can cook relatively normally for your OH and add some water/stock/gravy, to your portion and just blitz it.
My cousin was an oral surgeon in East Germany and they wired a young Russian soldier shut. When they came to check on him, he was starving - literally. The Army claimed they had no way of making food for him.
Single cream was the solution. They had that and he survived the rest of his "term".

Whatever you do, fingers crossed!!!

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:00 pm

Ouch, Sloe, what a choice, I think I'd maybe choose the easy option ... providing in the meantime your pain levels are kept under control. But then I haven't had any of the experience scully has had. I have a feeling that JRC's son was mugged and ended up having his jaw wired shut - we're talking way back, might even still have been when we were on the BBC board and had those first London meets.

Suffs, :thumbsup :crossed :clap :crossed :crossed for DS
Hope George is going to behave himself :)

LTC, great feedback for DS2 :clap

Ha, EM, I really don't know what has happened to my energy, Lockdown has obviously done for whatever oomph I had previously, the bus back sounds :thumbsup And isn't today supposed to be world car free day or something? We've got an Asda delivery later, maybe there'll be less traffic than usual!

Rocky, we used to know Gunnersbury Park like the back of our hand - it was the closest park to us when the boys were little. And where DS1 learned to ride a bike :lol: I haven't really been there for years but have heard that it has been hugely smartened up and remodelled. I think they're charging for the car park now, as well.

I recall the lake closest to the house had pedallos or similar and the one at the extreme end, next to the A4, was widely believed to be frequented by the most unsavoury characters you can imagine in a quiet west London suburb! It was always very dark, spooky and scarey!

There used to be a mini-golf that was always very popular.

Have a good day all, I woke up with a vile headache, which has somewhat abated but sadly not cleared up yet :cry:

Postby aero280 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:03 pm

Sorry to hear about the broken jaw. I know people who have had that happen, and a wired shut jaw is not nice. It would panic me as my asthma, etc. tends to block my nose, leaving only my mouth to breathe through. I know the mouth is not sealed, but I would probably carry a pair of wirecutters around in case I choked, or something!! :o

When I had my various illnesses, including a badly broken leg, I was given options, but no real guidance on which to choose. I found it difficult. It was as if each surgeon was bidding for business and saying his solution was best. Is there a “broken jaw” group on the internet where you could look at other people’s experiences? It might help your choice.

Postby Suffs » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:10 pm

:limbobanana :gonzo :bounce: :klingonbanana :limbobanana :gonzo :bounce: :klingonbanana :limbobanana :gonzo :bounce: :klingonbanana

Looks like DS has the job …. I can’t express how relieved I am. As a freelancer in the music biz he’s not been entitled to any help over the pandemic. I’m in bits. 8-)

Postby Busybee » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:22 pm

:newhuggy for SG

:crossed For Suffs DS

Been to pick my new, to me car, a Kia Sportage. After this years ice and floods I’ve gone for something more suited to our immediate terrain and got a four wheel drive. So cue a mild winter :lol:

It has the added advantage of having a big enough boot for Iggy, he used to sit on the back seat of my previous car with a seatbelt securing his harness to the seatbelt point but he could still reach round to me in the drivers seat - really not terribly safe.

Got a 121 session with the dog trainer this afternoon and then puppy class tonight. I’m still recovering from college on Monday which I enjoyed immensely but found very tiring, my get up and go has got up and gone! Although I am walking a lot more, two decent dogs walks a day instead of one.

BB

Postby Busybee » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:23 pm

Fantastic news Suffs

:limbobanana :limbobanana

BB

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:03 pm

Suffs, that's really brilliant news :clap :clap I think you said a 9 month contract? What will he be doing? Great that you can go on holiday with an easy mind now.

BB, we got a Kia Venga (2017) when we changed for a ULEZ compliant car earlier this year and so far so good ... they do have an amazing 7 year warranty from new, which has to be a good thing!

Postby Seatallan » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:04 pm

What splendid news Suffs!! :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :wino

Sloe, I hope the consultant will come up with a recommendation as to the best option but based on what you've said I think that unless you're likely to be left with a significant bite deformity I'd go with Plan A and just let nature take its course. :newhuggy
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby mistakened » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:43 pm

SG, personally I would go for option A if they can guarantee pain control and you are left with minimal deformity. Do you have a friendly dentist who could give you advice?

Back from Pissouri, local traffic police have been out in force fining speeding motorists. I did not see any but it was lunch time :roll: However I was amused, there is a 80kph speed limit in the Paramali Tunnel, normally if you stick to that limit most people overtake you, not today.
I got held up on the way back, there was what turned out to be a kestrel standing in the middle of the road, I had to toot to make it move.

Moira

Postby Suffs » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:51 pm

He’ll be supervising at Covid Testing Centres in the East of England … in charge of setting up/logistics etc. and supervising the practicalities of the day’s events.
Not the entertainment industry :lol: but transferable skills as he’s used to running load outs etc for big tours … for instance Lady Gaga tours with around 25 lorries loaded with her stage sets … he’s supervised getting all that offloaded and then loaded back on board with everything in the right place and the right order … with different crews … all the while smiling at The Star and entourage and keeping everyone calm. He’s done the same for the Really Useful Company Lloyd Webber productions too.

A 9 month contract should see him through to next summer’s festival season. :crossed
Last edited by Suffs on Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby slimpersoninside » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:00 pm

Good he's got something to keep him out of trouble Suffs ;) .

Hope the proper job returns to normal next year.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:07 pm

Good for him, Suffs. I'm glad the people hiring are imaginative enough to appreciate his transferable skills - so often it's not the case!

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:14 pm

Great news Suffs. What a relief.

Postby aero280 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:17 pm

Just back from a leisurely lunch! :)

And we went nostalgic. The colour of the glass has changed, but it's very nice.

IMG_3954.JPG
IMG_3954.JPG (83.52 KiB) Viewed 315 times

We then had a chat with the owner about the old days...

Piesporter Michelsberg
Blue Nun
Niersteiner Gutes Domthal
Black Tower
Hirondelle
Liefraumilch

etc.

Postby liketocook » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:24 pm

I'd add to that a carafe of Paul Masson and a bottle of Piat D'or aero :wino
Well done to DS suffs :woohoo: :woohoo:
:newhuggy SG, hard to know what to for the best. Hopefully Tuesday's appointment might help you decide.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:36 pm

Hello everyone, my internet went down for planned work earlier, then when it came back my router wouldn't talk to it

I seem to be here now :?

SG, that's awful, I hope he talks you through it properly face to face, but at least you know what the problem is now

Well done Suffs son! Hope it all works out next year

Rocky, I've done a few guided walking tours recently, there are the well known Blue Badge Tours, which can be a bit well, touristy, but of course at the moment they aren't overrun

https://www.guidelondon.org.uk/blog/aro ... ual-tours/

But there are loads of others, I've done some with City of London guides which have been really good, I was lucky enough to do some free with small groups with guides learning new tours ready for the return of full activity

https://www.cityoflondonguides.com/tours

And local history societies and local historians do some of the best, even with well known things like Jack the Ripper it's quite hard to do it self guided unless you really research the correspondence between the old and new maps

Aero, don't forget Goldener Oktober, Lutomer Laski Riesling, or Don Cortez,

Better have a wash and a snack, out for a talk on Mary Woolstonecraft and the Hackney Society AGM, will problably pop into the club next foor for a drink later, I expect most of us will

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:40 pm

What a relief, Suffs! We never stop worrying about them do we?!

Looks a nice lunch out aero - I believe best wishes are in order?? :blowing-birthday-cake. We had a lamp made from a Mateus Rose bottle :lol: :lol: :lol: (Ex OH owned it before I met him I hasten to add).

You certainly seem to be 'getting back to normal life' BB! Hope doggie enjoys the car.

I wasn't really being lazy when I said I might get the bus back from the garden centre as it is quite a long way. As it was, I walked a lot of the way back as well so covered over 5 miles (and got the bus because I couldn't work out how pedestrians were supposed to tackle a large roundabout!). It was a lovely walk exploring a part of town I haven't before (and found nice woods etc!). I had a snack lunch at the garden centre. I know I am quite large and shouldn't judge but I do notice when people eat a lot of 'white' carbs and sugar these days. I watched a couple, both of ample proportions, eat huge pieces of cake with their coffee and then the waitress brought out huge plates of toasted sandwiches and salad and huge bowls of chips each. It all looked delicious but it really was a generous amount. Once they started to eat, they didn't utter a word to each other. When they had finished, he blew his nose copiously on his paper napkin then screwed it up and put it on his plate. No wonder Covid is spreading :evil: :evil:.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:03 pm

Shit, Avro has just gone bust - our supplier ...

ETA, can't get on to the website now ...

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:33 pm

Just found this info in case anyone else is affected: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/ ... ng-you-nee

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox