Register

Wild about Chatter ... Vol 9

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wild about Chatter ... Vol 9

Postby Uschi » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:37 pm

Sloe, don't discount wiring too soon. While it sounds barbaric (scold's bridle and things come to mind) and tooth hygiene may be difficult, it is the equivalent of a plaster cast for an arm and a smallish risk of tooth decay that may be held in check, maybe with the right measures (rinses etc).

I've "only" had surgery on teeth (wisdom teeth never came up and had to be operated out, one was transplanted) and from my talks with doctors and my oral surgeon relatives I know nerve damage is a very real danger - and in your face or on your tongue it can be quite problematic. I was lucky, only one tiny bit at the back of my tongue is affected. Others came out with nothing at all, though.

I can only think of calling your dentist's practice, whether he/she will talk it through with you.
I don't know how the NHS works, but have they somewhere that patients can find out more.

Sorry if this is long-winded, and you really have too much on your plate, but I do worry. :newhuggy

Postby Uschi » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:40 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:
mistakened wrote:Seeing NLBs post about Christmas films, have Christmas decorations appeared yet, it mid September

Yes, I walked past a horrible hidden Christmas tree at the garden centre the other day which started singing as I walked past it and made me jump :evil:.

Christmas food is in the shops from September 1st onwards ...

and I will be checking my recipes and pondering how my Christmas biscuit production will work out soon.
At the beginning of October Aldi will be selling Christmas baking stuff they usually don't have ...

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:44 pm

Good morning

The sun is going slightly, it was glorious earlier

I am a bit over tired, I managed 6000 steps yesterday in and around my tiny kitchen continuing with my slow progressive deep clean, just retrieved some jars from the dishwasher, refilled them, labelled and put away. I’ve found reassuringly few unexpected items or things I had to throw, though I have 4 jars to open taste and possibly discard

After the kitchen I caught the bus to a meeting in the Dissenters chapel at Newington Green then popped into the club for a quick drink, it was quiet but I met 2 committee members I didn’t know. Then I walked back. Phew.

Happy birth aero! :wino

A year ago this week I went up to Enfield to get my winter bedding on the day the garden centre installed the Christmas decoration shop

Lands End launched their mid-season sale on the first official day of autumn

Have a good afternoon everyone

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:02 pm

Happy belated BDay, aero!!

Sun comes and goes here, we had vaguely thought of Kew ...

Sue - that's amazing - 6,000 steps just pottering about cleaning etc - my phone pedometer set an arbitrary daily goal of 6,000 steps but I rarely achieve it.

Sloe, sounds as if your hairdresser is more muddled than you are! Good thing you didn't head off to her!

Eek, Christmas stuff out ... that said, I noticed panettone in the window of Wilko last week - shoudl have gone in to get some really as who knows when/if it'll still be there, but there are only so many shops OH is prepared to go into and we'd already done Lidl and something else.

Rang up for a telephone appt with the Dr to be told face to face ones are also possible now! So booked one and hope to get some acupuncture for my headache tomorrow. :crossed

Have a good day, everyone.

Postby aero280 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:49 pm

herbidacious wrote:Happy belated birthday, aero.

Thank you! :)

When my neighbour started renovating the house they live in he found a stash of postcards from WWI. He has collated, translated and done some background history and doesn't know what to do with them. He's given them to me (which is why we went round, but ended up staying for coffee). Not sure what I/he can do with them (self publishing?) but I am looking forward to reading them. The postcards are from boyfriends who were soldiers. Lots of detail abut life in the trenches, slang, phonetic French and apparently quite rude bits.

OH is into archiving and genealogy etc. She suggests that a local museum/archive would/should be really interested in the postcards. They would also have the expertise to preserve them.

Postby Seatallan » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:58 pm

Sloe-Gin wrote:
Sloe-Gin wrote:Morning. Not a bad night's sleep, all in all. Got up for some paracetamol at 4, then slept till 9.
I've 'lost' a day this week (unsurprisingly!). I messaged my hairdresser to tell her I'd got an appointment on Thursday, but will have to have a dry trim, as I can't lean over the bowl for a wash. No problem, she said, see you tomorrow. No, Thursday, I replied. I later realised that is tomorrow...

But on inspection of the calendar, it appears it is NEXT thursday... good job I didn't actually sally forth! :roll:

I was about to post to alert you to the fact that today is indeed Thursday Sloe! :D Poor you- no wonder you've lost track of time.

Aero, sorry I missed your birthday :birthday-dancer :birthday-dancer :wino
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Pampy » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:19 pm

aero280 wrote:
OH is into archiving and genealogy etc. She suggests that a local museum/archive would/should be really interested in the postcards. They would also have the expertise to preserve them.

When my Mum died, we found a number of postcards that her father had sent from France during WW1. We gave them to a museum, who were thrilled to get them.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:31 pm

Most impressed, got a text inviting me to book my booster vaccine this morning as I'm "clinically vulnerable" and went online and booked it for 4th October. Very smooth service. Good choice of locations and was able to get one I can drive to and park at - it's actually Boots at Kew Retail Park so will be able to drop in at a huge M & S as well.
OH is feeling left out :D

Postby Seatallan » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:42 pm

Nice one KC2!! :thumbsup
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:00 pm

Nice to see it’s happening KC2!

It took me a little over 3 hours to totally renovate the cooker hood but now it’s done, and I’ve put a note in my calendar to change the grease filter, as I simply can’t see the indicator.

Don’t know how many steps that took as for some reason my tracker reset itself half way through, put it to charge, hope it’s not upset because I compared notes with someone who has an identical one last night

I definitely need to get new general purpose scissors, mine are rubbish, spent 5 minutes failing to cut gaffer tape

Postby herbidacious » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:08 pm

I think my neighbour has approached local museums and they seemed uninterested. I suppose British ones would have no interest, as no connection.
I will read through when I have time and talk to him again about it.

That’s good news, KC2!

I have had a funny day. Some good things some bad. After seeing our neighbours, we drove out to see the person who does our garden and cleaned our house (and deliver him some English tea). We saw the aftermath of a rather bad-looking accident on the way. It had clearly just happened. A car completely overturned and smashed up. Its driver was conscious and indeed out of the car and sitting up crying. There were a couple of people with her - one looking after her and another ringing emergency services so we didn't stop after we saw this. Glad there were others there as we would not have been as competent at helping as any native French speaker...
Meanwhile I had messages from cat sitter to say that one of them has a very bad tummy (let's say. In a way that affects the litter box.) thay's got worse as the week has progressed. She assumed that it was Lily, but it's probably Basil again :(
Then we had a nice chat with the garden guy, who is really nice. There is no way he nicked anything off us. He was much younger than I expected!
Then, I just checked my work email and they want me to interview people next week... on one of my wfh days, but, thank goodness, by Teams from home. (Would have been dismayed if I had had to go in on Monday or Tuesday. Was banking on two days breathing space before my first foray back in!) I have mixed feelings about this. I am flattered. (With some caveats I won't go into.) But also a little disconcerted and undoubtedly I will be nervous about it. I have never done anything like this before. At least I can spend Monday getting my head round it and, indeed, the applications. (And Teams!)
The interviews clashed with my flu jab, but I have managed to push that back to the weekend, luckily.
Ah yes and the other thing. A weird fly event. I stuck netting across the window in the room where they seem to come in most, and when I got back there were dozens of flies trapped between the window and the net. I have had not flies in there all week. There were also loads outside the window. So... the net works (as long as it stays stuck, which is in doubt because of all the condensation I get every morning in there) but it also somehow seemed to attract them?!? Or was it a coincidence?
Fly spray was used. Not sure whether to risk peeling back the netting to hoover up. On balance I think not, even though they smell as they decay... :o

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:18 pm

Herbi, it might be worth asking at the Mairie about the postcards, not that they are very likely to want them but they may know who would take them. Similarly at a library.

Postby Gruney2 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:00 pm

This, in itself, doesn't merit a separate thread, but for the nth time, I've come face to face with a recipe instruction I find hard to comply with.

"Brown the meat, then remove to a plate. Add the chopped onions and garlic, and cook until soft, but not brown." I reduce the heat before introducing the onions, so they don't burn - but, of course, they almost instantly go brown, with the products of deglazing the pan.

Maybe someone might wish to start a thread on confusing recipe instructions?

Postby WWordsworth » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:03 pm

Yep, get that.
My pet hate is when the recipe asks you to soften the onion and garlic.
By the time the onion is soft, the garlic is burnt.

Anyone who cooks knows that.

Postby liketocook » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:30 pm

My pet peeve is when an ingredient is listed but not included in the method and it's not that obvious where it fits in the recipe!
I've found "Saturday Kitchen" recipes a bit ropey, fine if you've watched the programme or a confident cook but otherwise hit or miss.
Excellent news re the booster appointment KC2 :hi5:

Postby Grasshopper » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:47 pm

Ellow! :wave:

Haven't been about for a while - started back at 'W' on Monday!!!! :o We are having our own Fresher's Week from next week. Have already seen some colleagues i haven't seen since the start of the first lockdown!
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:19 pm

Such industrious people today!

I agree with all the recipe comments, some are very badly written and if you were not experienced would spell disaster. Presumably the onions meant burnt brown rather than coloured meat brown but who knows?

Very interested you've had your booster invitation, KC2. I wasn't sure if it was still just being mooted or whether it was going ahead for vulnerables and older people. I think 'older people' were over 70 last time so wonder where the line will be drawn. I've been thinking I'd like to venture to London then wondered if I should wait for a booster first. Anyway, had my flu jab today so hopefully I won't get that or pneumonia as I had that one a few months ago.

Must be nice to be back, Grassy.

Herbi - how dare they disturb your holiday!!

Postby smitch » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:44 pm

Herbi, I’ve interviewed a fair few people over Zoom before I finished work. It is harder to build a rapport with the candidate but easier to focus on what they’re saying as you don’t look like you’re staring at them constantly. I found myself smiling and nodding a lot more than normal.

When I chaired the interview panel I had a spiel about how awkward virtual interviews can be and how we’d prefer to be doing it in person etc.

I found I needed more time than normal, we met beforehand to discuss who would do what question and how much prompting there would be. We also discussed each candidate immediately afterwards as I found it harder to remember who was who.

Have you done many/any face to face interviews?

Postby Grasshopper » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:06 pm

Yep - the influx of students really gets going next week :shock:

Time to hop off - my bed is calling.

Nit nit :newhuggy
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby mistakened » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:17 am

Good Morning Campers, it rained yesterday evening, it was not forecast, we had the predicted strong winds. There was that lovely petrichor smell. I knew that I should not have taken the car to be washed on Wednesday.

I had a recipe last week that cooked the meat and vegetables in an illogical order, I did my own thing. By coincidence I made a Jane Grigson recipe last night and commented to Deb that she assumed that you knew how to make a béchamel, gave no oven temperature just "medium to hot" oven

Moira :mug:

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox