Register

Wild about Chatter ... Vol 9

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wild about Chatter ... Vol 9

Postby Wic » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:23 pm

Hello, Sloe. What a horrible thing to happen. You are pottering along happily and then life, quite literally, hits you in the face. Just leaving it to heal might seem the easy option, but it will still be very uncomfortable and might not give the best result. it would be worth asking what they would do if it was them. You might get an answer that helps.

Postby herbidacious » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:23 pm

Just a quick one from me. Been trying to do the locator form for the last hour. I suspect it's more geared up to phones than laptops. I will have to show my vaccine passport at the border. OH is still at his. I know a few people who would not have coped well with this... it's given me a headache.

SG poor you. That's awful. A friend has a jaw operation some months ago and spent some time wired up. She survived with no tooth decay/damage. I imagine they were telling you all the worst case scenarios and you need to get an idea of how likely the possible negative consequences of the various routes are - including leaving it as it is.

Postby Uschi » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:17 pm

It all depends on the fracture.
There is an awful lot of strain on a jaw, even when not chewing. I would be worried that leaving it might lead to a problem in the healing procedure, but only the doctor can tell you.

Someone mentioned before that asking what he might do (or what would you recommend if I was your mother?) approach might work.

You are the patient and a bit more guidance would be nice.

Postby aero280 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:23 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:Looks a nice lunch out aero - I believe best wishes are in order?? :blowing-birthday-cake. We had a lamp made from a Mateus Rose bottle :lol: :lol: :lol: (Ex OH owned it before I met him I hasten to add).

Yes. Thank you. i'm a year older than I was this morning. :o

It was a little embarrassing. As we walked up the hill to the restaurant, our neighbour was doing some gardening and OH had a brief chat. Neighbour is getting a bit frail, and commented the she sees OH "striding up the hill" regularly, but neighbour can't do that now "because I'm nearly 70". OH is a year older.... :oops: :oops:

Postby Uschi » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:49 pm

Happy birthday Aero!!!! :wino

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:05 am

Good points there about risk Sloe Gin

Look at (or just remember the last time you did) the patient information leaflet for a drug
They list all the side effects that have been recorded, even the ones that occur in 1 in 10 000 courses of treatment

Informed consent for operations (or clinical trials, which are what I really know about) is much the same these days, they are inclined to tell you everything that might happen

So if the surgeon says there is a risk of something like tooth decay or paralysis it’s probably worth asking How big a risk? How often does it really happen? Can we do anything to mitigate the risk?

Postby Uschi » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:25 am

Oh, I forgot, congratulations, Suffolk's son!!! :wino

Postby aero280 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:57 am

Indeed! Well Done. :)

Postby mistakened » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:06 am

Good Morning Campers, a quick pop in before a planned power cut occurs. At least we get a warning, coffee has been made, no washing planned.

Moira

Postby icelesley » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:14 am

Good Morning campers. Happy birthday Aero :wino :wino shopping day a g ain then vets for Danny, then back home fore a telephone consult for OH to renew his meds scripts. Busy day I think.

Postby northleedsbhoy » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:11 am

Morning all. Congratulations to those who have had birthdays, anniversaries, work achievements etc. I find it hard to keep up these days especially with birthdays now that there’s no birthday threads.

Not been doing much at the moment as I’ve been sorting out a few things that I’ve been putting off doing as I had been waiting for that mythical “tomorrow” :lol: .

For those of nervous disposition look away now - one of the film channels has started showing continuous Christmas films from today :lol: :lol:

I’m having a relaxing day today and doing nothing more than wandering to the pub for a couple of hours. Have a good day folks.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby scullion » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:58 am

good morning, all.
relentlessly overcast until about seven pm according to the met.
can't remember what i'd intended to do yesterday but i doubt any of it got done. we went for an unplanned walk on the beach instead and a linger over a coffee at the beach café - where we mused over 'head bobbing' in pigeons (among other things). being able to move just the eyes is much more energy efficient - and doesn't look so silly.
today, i may do some of the things i meant to do yesterday - if i can get a round tuit. sometimes they're hard to come by.
happy birthdays and outcomes to all.
the met got it wrong - there are sunbeams squeezing through.
have a good day, everyone.

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:15 am

Morning all! :wave. A bit dull out there but think its going to be ok. Definitely a chill in the air now but I rather like it.

It is funny when you get to a 'certain age' how differently people's outlook is isn't it - even taking medical issues into account.

Flu jab later this morning then meeting GD from school this afternoon. Won't be watching Christmas films for sure, I'm only just starting to enjoy the season of mists and mellow fruitfulness.

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:29 am

Morning all. Had a good swim but the journey back was dreadful - Affinity Water digging up the roads again. Four sets of temporary traffic lights all at odds with one another.

I knew it was too good to be true. The new gardeners have postponed me for the 4th time in two weeks. The two guys who come are excellent but their boss is either grossly incompetent or mad. He's just texted to say he doesn't feel well and it might be Covid although we had a Covid alert from him a few weeks ago. Grrrrr!!!

And another thing. Has anyone else realised that Evans is now exclusively online? Very annoying because I used to get my shoes there and am not mad on buying internet footwear.

I think I may venture into Watford once DD is back. Haven't been to a shopping centre for 18 months and Harrow is absolutely terrible - not that Watford is much to write home about now John Lewis has gone.

Re swimming: we have a new slow laner. Even slower than me, much older than me but a very nice bloke. He is the Lollipop Lady at the school so of course that's what they call him, and he loves it. :lol:

Enjoy the sun. It has made an apppearance here!

Postby Sloe-Gin » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:03 am

Morning. Not a bad night's sleep, all in all. Got up for some paracetamol at 4, then slept till 9.
I've 'lost' a day this week (unsurprisingly!). I messaged my hairdresser to tell her I'd got an appointment on Thursday, but will have to have a dry trim, as I can't lean over the bowl for a wash. No problem, she said, see you tomorrow. No, Thursday, I replied. I later realised that is tomorrow...

Despite not having very much on Monday (and then being sick) and only 2 cans of Heinz soup per day on Tuesday and Wednesday, I have not lost a sou. I have a waitrose order coming today with things for the soup maker, both of the soup variety and smoothies. I made tarragon chicken last night - hub offered to puree it for me, but I thought it may not be very appetising, so it's made 2 meals for him.

happy birthday aero
Safe journey Suffs (and well done DS)
My DS came round last night to check his ol mum over and even he said don't go for the wire-up!!

Postby mistakened » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:35 am

Back on line, the power was off for just over four hours, no problem on a breezy, sunny day. I visited the local supermarket but bought nothing frozen. Deb decided to put cockroach killer down all the drains.

SG, I have always found hairdressers very helpful when you cannot get your hair washed "normally"

Seeing NLBs post about Christmas films, have Christmas decorations appeared yet, it mid September

Moira

Postby herbidacious » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:58 am

Happy belated birthday, aero.

Good news indeed, Suffs!

It's lovely - warm and sunny - here. We have just popped round to our neighbours, who were here last night for aperos etc. When my neighbour started renovating the house they live in he found a stash of postcards from WWI. He has collated, translated and done some background history and doesn't know what to do with them. He's given them to me (which is why we went round, but ended up staying for coffee). Not sure what I/he can do with them (self publishing?) but I am looking forward to reading them. The postcards are from boyfriends who were soldiers. Lots of detail abut life in the trenches, slang, phonetic French and apparently quite rude bits.

Right now, T is doing his macho stuff with the petrol cutter thingy... which makes me very nervous. He is, at least, using goggles and gloves (he says. I daren't go outside to check in case I make him jump.) I am about to do some house stuff and pack. We will be going out after lunch to drop of a gift for the person who does the grass, then shopping for England (semi-literally and figuratively). If anyone wants anything (in moderation) who I am in a position to get it to (bearing in mind I will be public transporting again soon) let me know by PM. I will try not to go mad but who knows when we will next be here. I really wish we had more time here. We come home tomorrow.

SG :newhuggy

Postby liketocook » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:00 pm

Good morning everyone,
Belated Happy Birthday :blowing-birthday-cake
Dunno SG - cream of chicken & tarragon soup sounds pretty good to me but sounds as though you will have plenty of options once your order arrives. :newhuggy
Completely agree Moira, my hairdresser has been marvellous at accommodating my issues. :D
Dull, wet and chilly here this morning, hard to believe that last Saturday we were bbqing in short sleeves! Winter must be on it's way - next door's cat appeared wanting to snooze on my kitchen chair after his folks had left for work/school!
Chores and finalising my Tesco order are about the sum of my plans for today.

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:13 pm

mistakened wrote:Seeing NLBs post about Christmas films, have Christmas decorations appeared yet, it mid September

Yes, I walked past a horrible hidden Christmas tree at the garden centre the other day which started singing as I walked past it and made me jump :evil:.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:24 pm

Sloe-Gin wrote:Morning. Not a bad night's sleep, all in all. Got up for some paracetamol at 4, then slept till 9.
I've 'lost' a day this week (unsurprisingly!). I messaged my hairdresser to tell her I'd got an appointment on Thursday, but will have to have a dry trim, as I can't lean over the bowl for a wash. No problem, she said, see you tomorrow. No, Thursday, I replied. I later realised that is tomorrow...

But on inspection of the calendar, it appears it is NEXT thursday... good job I didn't actually sally forth! :roll:

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox