Register

Wild about Chatter ... Vol 9

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Wild about Chatter ... Vol 9

Postby Suffs » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:05 pm

Here you are folks ... a clean sheet to write on when you're ready ...........

Re: Wild about Chatter ... Vol 9

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:38 pm

Good afternoon all :wave: :wave: :wave:

Just posted my daily bulletin on Vol 8 .... so nothing more to say at the moment :lol:

Postby Sloe-Gin » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:45 pm

i love a clean sheet! Thanks, Suffs

doggy daycare is closed :x An outbreak of kennel cough. It's rife locally and, because it's a 'live' vaccine, ours haven't had it (because of hub). I suppose the anti vaxxer would say 'quite right'.

Perhaps she ought to go and live in Afghanistan, where there are no vaccines, probably won't be any shower gels (or maybe even showers) and no mask wearing.

Hub's sister sent his a parcel for his birthday, which the postie handed to him, so he opened it in the car on the way to lunch on Saturday. It contained a box of Heroes. A bit of a strange birthday present, we both thought (remember the onion sets I got for mine?). Anyway, she rang him yesterday to ask if he got the voucher, enclosed with the box...thankfully, a hunt in the paper recycling revealed a dining out voucher. Phew. However, he now cannot remember what he did with the box of heroes... :?

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:07 pm

Sloe-Gin wrote:Perhaps she ought to go and live in Afghanistan, where there are no vaccines, probably won't be any shower gels (or maybe even showers) and no mask wearing.

I think the face covering most Afghani women wear would be a fine sub for a mask!

You are all destickied at volume 8 and restuck here

Postby mistakened » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:20 pm

I mentioned last week that the air conditioning in Deb's bedroom was not working. She managed to find an A/C engineer, a small miracle for August in Cyprus. He, Panicos came on Friday afternoon, he checked the unit which turned out to be over 20 years old, are no longer made and of course no spares available.
Meanwhile Deb checked out mobile A/C units, they are noisy as the compressor is indoors. Texts to our landlord were useless, he would not replace the unit. We both checked the Dyson Air Cooler, as recommended by friends but it is just a fan, it does no tactually cool the air.
So she contacted Panicos this morning, he had a unit which was only E100 more than the mobile type and could come today. The new unit, more powerful than the original is now installed. Panicos can also service also washing machines etc., very useful
Deb is hoping for a good nights sleep.

Moira

Postby Sloe-Gin » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:37 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:
Sloe-Gin wrote:Perhaps she ought to go and live in Afghanistan, where there are no vaccines, probably won't be any shower gels (or maybe even showers) and no mask wearing.

I think the face covering most Afghani women wear would be a fine sub for a mask!

You are all destickied at volume 8 and restuck here

I cannot imagine the anti vaxxer wearing anything remotely restrictive! Or decreed by men!

We've been in the hills. It was 12C. I wore my winter coat.

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:55 pm

No. It would be another crusade. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Postby dennispc » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:00 pm

Thanks for the clean sheet Suffs.

The madness of Afghanistan.

NHS uses Morphine, why not buy it from the Afghans so the country has economic ties with us? US won’t allow it. :roll: I think we buy it from India.

A Saud millionaire destroys the twin towers, so we join in bombing Afghanistan.

A better strategy for the rich West would’ve have been providing fresh water, clinics and schools to towns and villages. Positive action, not destruction.

We’ve been fighting there for centuries without winning, hardly a world military power.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:27 pm

I have just had a call from a gentleman with a very strong Indian accent who started by telling me he had no intention of taking up any of my time today. Too late mate! :lol: :lol:

You're so clever, Suffs, I hope the garment turns out well.

No words re Afghanistan or anywhere else where people desperately need practical kindness. If only we could just wave a magic wand to enable people everywhere to live in harmony with basic needs met. So much to come to terms with in recent times as the doings of the past create nastier knots.

Postby Uschi » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:35 pm

Amen EM.

Postby mistakened » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:10 am

Good Morning Campers, Deb's new air conditioning worked well, if any thing she was too cold.

Amazing scenes at Kabul Airport, no film maker would dare invent such a scene.

Moira

Postby icelesley » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:29 am

Good Morning campers. Well done Suffs, I trust it was a painless birth :wino we had excitement yesterday afternoon. The police helicopter was hovering just above our house for a good half hour then circled and came back, four police cars and one unmarked police car sped up our road, a sure sign they are tracking someone. A few of us neighbours gathered around our gate wondering what was going on. I had checked the police site, but nothing was posted. When the community forum posted, an escape man named ...........was being tracked and children should be kept inside. I guess that had something to do with why he was locked up. We haven't heard anymore and the local newspaper hasn't even reported on it. :roll:

Update: It was a man suspected of brandishing a gun. :o :o they caught him but he did not have a firearm. :?

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:30 am

Morning all! :wave. A very dull day and the hedge across the road is being blown hard by the wind. Loving these lazy, hazy days of summer :evil:.

How nasty, icey. We've had enough of guns this week.

I'm off for a walk with friends this morning to be followed by coffee. I really hope it doesn't pour with rain. We'll be in Gillthepainter's territory so will try to behave! I'm really puzzled by the man next door. He was discharged from hospital and should be up and about during the day. His daughter has taken on many of the little tasks that used to keep him busy, some of which it was high time she did but some he still could do to put structure into his day. At night his light hasn't been on and he hasn't drawn the curtains. These have been little signs I've watched out for for years just to make sure he's alright. Daughter doesn't seem to want to communicate with neighbours much when all we want to do is show we care, its disappointing as we can't even say hello him.

Postby Uschi » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:48 am

Guten Morgen!
It is still cool and rainy here, but apart from shopping we need not go out.

E'M, it is nice that the neighbours look out for each other. We did that, too, in the previous houses, but this one is a little more anonymous. Mind you, someone put a bottle of hand disinfectant onto a ledge downstairs, where the bins and the stairs are. And when I distributed bags of biscuits overnight last Advent several of the neighbours dropped a thank you note into the letterbox.

We had hoped to get a summer garden party going this year, so everyone could get to know each other a little better, but what with corona it was not to be. If we have a golden autumn, maybe we can still do that.

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:57 am

Cold and miserable here. The pool was cold too so I didn’t enjoy my swim very much.

I have the dentist later. A root canal job. I am not a good dental patient.

The dog walker has texted to say she’s sprained her ankle and can’t walk Polo today. I will have to do it on my return.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:32 am

Cold and miserable here too we’ve just had a light shower, it’s supposed to be outdoor TaiChi at 12:30, hope we can do it

Might confront the ironing, at least that’s warm and indoors

Postby dennispc » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:35 am

“When will they ever learn ….”

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... al-fantasy

Postby Sloe-Gin » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:38 am

Morning.
That must have been quite hair raising for you and your neighbours, icey.
it's cool, wet and windy today, more like October. So much for this predicted heatwave.

Worrying re your neighbour EM. Is he actually there?
I have a cat to start this afternoon. It's more than 6 months since I picked up the art stuff in earnest, but it's just the kinda day to lock myself in the den for a few hours.
Hope the dentist is painless, PP. Not seen herbi for a while.

Postby Seatallan » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:45 am

Pepper Pig wrote:Cold and miserable here. The pool was cold too so I didn’t enjoy my swim very much.

I have the dentist later. A root canal job. I am not a good dental patient.

The dog walker has texted to say she’s sprained her ankle and can’t walk Polo today. I will have to do it on my return.

PP, I do hope your day improves and that the dentist trip isn't too traumatic... :newhuggy

EM, concerning about your neighbour isn't it? I hope all is ok.

Windy here too but quite mild. Have been for a run and hung out the washing to dry. Now awaiting a grocery delivery and if I have time later I shall pop to our fab local nursery to see if the spring bulbs are in yet.

Tea tonight is seafood spag. :yum
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Suffs » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:08 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Quite painless thanks Ice ... but it might have been the cause of a dropped stitch :x .... not clever EM, just bdooly stubborn :roll:

Good luck PepperP :thumbsup

EM .... hope your neighbour is ok ... maybe the incident and hospital trip unnerved him a bit and he's lost his confidence ... maybe he doesn't want to risk 'being a bother again' ...

It's a difficult line to tread, being the neighbour of an elderly single person ... we had similar with D next door ... especially as his daughters lived miles away ... once he had carers visiting we worried less ... until the Beast from the East arrived and the carers didn't turn up ... so we went in to help ... he was in bed downstairs, unable to do much for himself and had been using whatever containers he could reach from his bed as his 'bottle' was full up. He was grateful for help, hot drinks ... toast etc ... and a meal taken in when we had ours. Fortunately the care agency managed to get someone to him the next day even if it wasn't his regular chap. I think he was more comfortable because OH was prepared to help him with the personal stuff rather than me ... he was a dignified man. But his daughters had left a key with us in case of emergency ... and we wouldn't have gone in had the agency carers not turned up (it was pretty obvious as the snow was deep and there were no footprints to his door.) His daughters were very grateful and gave us very acceptable wine and nibbles, but as I said, other people had helped my Aged Ps when I wasn't available ... what comes around goes around ... it's what makes a community.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox