Register

Tried something new

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Tried something new

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:50 pm

That sounds a wonderful tip and a delicious spaghetti sauce. I never get on well with Halloumi but must try this.

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:33 pm

Tonight I tried the green beans with walnuts mentioned elsewhere, mainly because the garden is producing beans like there's no tomorrow and I wanted a new way of serving them.

I enjoyed the warm spices with the beans but would reduce the honey to 1 teaspoon next time.

Postby Kacey » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:44 am

Feta also bakes well in the oven, I usually bake it with finely chopped chilli, tomato and onion, that would stir nicely through a bowl of pasta.

Postby liketocook » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:55 am

Kacey wrote:Feta also bakes well in the oven, I usually bake it with finely chopped chilli, tomato and onion, that would stir nicely through a bowl of pasta.

I love the sound of that Kacey thanks, it's been added to my "to make" list

Halloumi Fajitas

Postby liketocook » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:48 am

After getting the idea from another thread I made halloumi fajitas yesterday. The tip to bake the halloumi was wonderful, I cut it into fingers then baked for around 12 minutes before mixing with the veg mix. The result was delicious - definitely a keeper.
I've popped a picture over on the "What's everyone cooking" thread.

Postby liketocook » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:53 am

Tried this yesterday https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/lamb ... _pea_87797 though with a few tweaks:-
Used lamb leg steaks instead of cutlets.
I had no lamb trim but used homemade lamb stock from the freezer and I'm not sure the trim was needed.
Subbed fresh thyme for marjoram as I didn't have any of the latter.
Used only frozen peas rather than a mix of frozen & raw.
Replaced the broad beans with small cut lightly cooked green beans as DS2 isn't keen on broad beans.
Garnished with watercress instead of shoots and flowers.
Verdict - slightly faffy but worth it, would make again. :) I'll pop a photo on the "What's everyone cooking this week?" thread.

Postby liketocook » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:47 am

Another new one for us yesterday "Sweet -sour sausages" https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/a ... ince-pasta. It was delicious and very simple to put together.
I used four sausages, 2 decent sized peaches and 2 small red onions for two of us. The sauce quantity I kept the same as I didn't think it would be enough if I didn't and that seemed about right. I think I'd have wanted more sauce if I had made the full amount. I forgot to add the sliced chilli over the top at the end but don't think it needed it. The sesame seeds were a nice touch.
I reckon any stoned fruit, pineapple or tinned peach halves would work well instead of the fresh peaches.
Verdict - definitely a keeper.
I'll pop a photo on the "What's everyone cooking this week?" thread.

Postby Suelle » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:00 pm

liketocook wrote:Another new one for us yesterday "Sweet -sour sausages" https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/a ... ince-pasta. It was delicious and very simple to put together.

Both those recipes look good - I don't know why I missed them, as I usually look at all the recipes in The Gruaniad. It might be difficult to cut them down to single portions but halving them as you did looks feasible.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby liketocook » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:07 pm

Suelle - EM tried the second one without the pasta and made enough for two portions (I think) she posted about it on the "What's everyone cooking" thread a couple of days ago. The sausage dish scaled down well for two portions and I think it would freeze okay. One portion would probably work okay but I'd only halve the sauce amount.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:15 pm

Suelle - I wrote quite a lot about the second dish on the other thread. I think the secret is to cook all the meat and then freeze and use on consecutive days and make fresh sauces (and pasta if using). It needs a few tweaks IMO as I've said!

Postby Suelle » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:39 pm

Thanks, both! That's the way I often proceed with recipes which can't be done in single portions. I've bookmarked the recipes to try sometime, when I'm less busy.

Hopefully I'll be having some house renovations done soon, which among other things, will mean no kitchen for a while, but I'm already de-cluttering in anticipation. Nearly 20 years of clutter is will take some work to shift!
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:51 pm

I am making this for the gang tonight as I’ve heard so many good things about it.

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/lasagne-of-love

Wish me luck!

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:58 pm

Good luck, PP! I can see why it's called Lasagne of Love ... I ran out of steam just reading the recipe and didn't even get to the end :lol:

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:07 pm

Quite!

Postby liketocook » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:32 pm

Oh that sounds good PP, I've book marked it. Let us know how it turns out please.

DS2 make Chicken Zafrani from "The Curry Guy Bible" by Dan Toombs. It was a lot of work but unfortunately the end result didn't reflect the amount of time and ingredients that went into it. DS2 followed the recipe to the letter so can't blame tweaking. It's was perfectly edible but not one he'll rush to make again.

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:02 pm

Ltc, the World and his wife keep posting photos on Twitter. I have high hopes but am so out of cooking for crowds I will have to follow the recipe to the letter.

Postby liketocook » Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:08 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Ltc, the World and his wife keep posting photos on Twitter. I have high hopes but am so out of cooking for crowds I will have to follow the recipe to the letter.

With one exception I've always found Nigella's recipes reliable so :crossed . The only one I've tried that didn't work for me was a mushroom & potato gratin from "Nigella Express" which ended up a greasy mess, though in fairness I may well have done something wrong though I thought I'd followed the recipe.

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:08 pm

I am at the end of Stage 7 and have gone for a lie down! The bloody fan oven has packed up!!

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:11 pm

A mate whose culinary opinions I value very highly swears by Nigella's Yorkshire pud recipe. I keep meaning to try it.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:17 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:I am at the end of Stage 7 and have gone for a lie down! The bloody fan oven has packed up!!

Arghhhhhhhhhh .....

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox