Register

Tried something new

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Tried something new

Postby Suelle » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:57 am

Suffs wrote:Im doing a sort of Nasi Goreng with my cold roast pork, so no need for noodles ... the rice has been cooked and is cooling ready to go in the fridge for a few hours to 'dry' so it's not sticky when I make the Nasi Goreng

My favourite! I use a very inauthentic recipe from a 1970s Good Housekeeping recipe book, but it's delicious. I think trying the recipe for the first time might have been my first 'adventure' into non-British cooking, assuming you don't count Vesta meal kits and Sharwoods curry powder! :D :oops:
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:58 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:32 pm

Is there gravy left PP? In my childhood I experienced many what I consider to be dire uses for leftover Sunday roasts.

Ex MIL used to reheat leftovers thoroughly (potatoes included but usually served freshly cooked veg) and serve a '2nd day roast'. It was infinitely better than mucking about with the meat or enduring it cold IMO but you need gravy to reheat the meat slices nicely. I'd do that

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:40 pm

As explained elsewhere I loathe gravy. And believe me there isn’t much food I hate. Sorry EM. :oops:

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:44 pm

Sorry PP. I don't like pork much and gravy disguises it :lol:.

I don't want to start another thread but have noticed that many of us are on diets with restrictions of one sort or another or just finding cooking for one difficult sometimes and thus think our posts might be boring. It might be good if this was mentioned where relevant (without everyone commenting on the reasons behind it) when posting something new we've tried in case it helps someone with similar restrictions.

I have posted before that I have sometimes started having a favourite - a robust white fish - whatever's available - topped with a nut and crumb topping - the latter whizzed with a little oil, usually olive and seasoning, lemon zest plus any herbs or spices of my choice. I have chosen to cut out all but a few low GI carbs from my diet where possible and the crumb (yes, there is bread but the nuts reduce the amount and I choose a wholegrain bread) makes a lovely small helping of a crunchy treat to go with the fish and whatever veg I have chosen. I always look forward to it.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:13 pm

Personally I would welcome a thread for those cooking solo ...

Edited to add: Em is the low Carb lifestyle working ?

Postby ZeroCook » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:19 am

Quite like the look of those courgette fritters, Suelle. Not sure about the herbs, especially dill - did you use any?

Leftover pork is great for quite a few Chinese dishes - even where raw pork is called for. I also like Sichuan twice cooked pork using leftovers - a favourite. This version is from Maggie Zhu
https://omnivorescookbook.com/twice-cooked-pork/

Postby Suelle » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:08 am

ZeroCook wrote:Quite like the look of those courgette fritters, Suelle. Not sure about the herbs, especially dill - did you use any?

I used sage, which seemed the most suitable out of those I grow. I would have tried mint, but I've just cut mine back, so didn't have enough.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Amatriciana chicken traybake

Postby liketocook » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:03 pm

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/ama ... n-traybake

I tried this yesterday and the verdict is that's definitely a keeper. :yum As there's only two of us I halved the chicken quantity and didn't use as many spuds but kept the rest the same. A lot of comments suggested par boiling the spuds and adding a red pepper with the spuds which I did. I didn't serve it with suggested salad/bread as there was more than enough for us with a little leftover for lunch. We had quite greedy portions and the halved recipe could easily feed three with the suggested sides.
I'll post a picture on the "What's everyone cooking" thread.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:05 pm

I make a courgette fritter with a slightly stiffer batter, more of a croquette than a flat pancake type fritter

The original recipe, link below, uses a mixture of parsley and mint, but I particularly like dill which seems to me to go well with the feta rather than the courgettes, but basil and/or spring onion also works, they are as Felicity says very forgiving. Dried mint would probably work, but I haven't tried it

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4633&p=93005&hilit=courgette+glut#p93005

Postby ZeroCook » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:55 pm

That Amatriciana chicken tray bake dish looks really good, LTC - right up my alley and saw your pic on the what's cooking thread. Like your tweaks and I'd possibly serve the potatoes on the side. Or not :D Bookmarked to try.

Suelle wrote:
I used sage, which seemed the most suitable out of those I grow. I would have tried mint, but I've just cut mine back, so didn't have enough.

Sage sounds very good choice as does mint. Not a dill fan at all.

Thx for the the link to the courgette thread fritters and also EM's Chinch fritters quantities, Stokey - look really good, especially with the feta and mint. Courgette season again - will revisit the thread.

Postby liketocook » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:27 pm

ZeroCook wrote:.
That Amatriciana chicken tray bake dish looks really good, LTC - right up my alley and saw your pic on the what's cooking thread. Like your tweaks and I'd possibly serve the potatoes on the side. Or not :D Bookmarked to try.

Yes potatoes on the side would work, but they were tasty cooked in the tomato/chilli/oil mix - not quite patas bravas but along similar lines.

Feta & dill was a combination I'd never really tried until DS1 met a Greek girl now I'm a huge fan but I do love sage. Just as well as my pot in the garden appears to be on steriods!

Postby dennispc » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:14 am

EM mentioned restrictive diet ideas. That’s how I started doing herby crust fish so we could cut out potatoes. Usually used bread crumbs as a base, any herbs we’ve got, olive oil, occasionally lemon juice. Tried orange zest and fresh juice. Never thought of nuts, I’ll give that it a try.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:20 am

I first had a macadamia crust with barramundi (fish) in Australia and absolutely loved it. There are umpteen recipes online. Macadamias are expensive here but I have found that any firm white fish and cheaper mixed nuts work very well. I use salted ones. You can do it with coconut if you like coconut too. I like the look of an accompanying coconut sauce as in this recipe too (with nuts and fish tweaked to suit British availability and purse!). I shall be experimenting.
https://foodal.com/recipes/fish-and-sea ... nut-sauce/

Postby liketocook » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:42 am

We're having haddock topped with pesto & breadcrumbs tonight. The pesto has walnuts in it but I like the idea of adding more nuts for extra crunch.

Postby Binky » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:26 pm

I hardly cook these days and that's why I rarely contribute to this forum but I can tell you about something I tried recently and it worked a treat.

Sometimes we used to fry left-over vegetables and stir into spaghetti as a quick lunch. A couple of days ago I cut up a courgette, an onion, some mushrooms and a block of halloumi cheese into small chunks. I put these in the oven because I can't stand for any length of time at the hob frying food (Halloumi especially is supposed to be fried/grilled or BBQ'd). Left them in for 30 mins as something else was baking. I can report that stirred into spaghetti the following day it was a delicious and easy meal.

Something else I did was freeze creme brulee. I've had great success with panna cotta but the creme brulee was 'different' in that the texture was curdled after thawing. It tasted the same so not a total disaster but it's not something you could serve to visitors.

Postby Amyw » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:25 pm

Nice to see you here Binky . I feel sometimes people feel bad that their food isn’t that exciting but I think what can be boring and commonplace to some people can be totally brand new and exciting to another . Your pasta sounds good

Postby liketocook » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:08 pm

Completely agree Amy :thumbsup
Pasta dish sounds good Binky, like you standing at a hob for any longer than I need to is a no no. Anything that can go in the oven is a winner for me. :)

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:31 pm

The "roast" halloumi is interesting Binky - I shoved a couple of pieces, perhaps the size of shortbread fingers but double thickness, in with my roast veg recently and they came out better than I've ever got them by frying or grilling, a nice even tan, almost the colour of gingernuts

Nice to see you

Postby Binky » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:24 pm

Roasting halloumi is not something we've ever done before but it was 'needs must' on this occasion. And the result was a resounding success, golden brown and just the way you want halloumi to be. The oven was already on, and it was the work of minutes to chop the courgette etc. so by my reckoning this is a win-win method of cooking a quick addition to a spaghetti lunch.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox