Register

Tried something new

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Tried something new

Postby liketocook » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:25 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:They look deliciously wicked (in both the old and more modern sense of the word!).

DS2 has already identified a couple of dishes he'd like to try them with. :)

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:27 pm

I said I’d try some of the vegetarian ideas from the DAD delivery menu, one of which was rice and peas with jerk aubergine

Rice and peas, fine, I got some block coconut cream which I prefer for this, tastes good

Having read a lot of wondrously over-complicated recipes for jerk aubergine online I just made a slightly modified version of my usual Caribbean marinade, dunked thick slices of aubergine and chunks of butternut in it and roasted at 180°C fan for about 30 minutes

A success, definitely a good variant on roast veg

The marinade was a habanero pepper, a chunk of ginger, 2 spring onions, 4 cloves garlic, a heaped tsp ground allspice, a load of fresh thyme leaves, juice of a lime and about similar volumes of tamari and oil blitzed together. There’s some left.

Postby liketocook » Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:51 pm

That sounds delicious Sue :yum

Postby Amyw » Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:00 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I said I’d try some of the vegetarian ideas from the DAD delivery menu, one of which was rice and peas with jerk aubergine

Rice and peas, fine, I got some block coconut cream which I prefer for this, tastes good

Having read a lot of wondrously over-complicated recipes for jerk aubergine online I just made a slightly modified version of my usual Caribbean marinade, dunked thick slices of aubergine and chunks of butternut in it and roasted at 180°C fan for about 30 minutes

A success, definitely a good variant on roast veg

The marinade was a habanero pepper, a chunk of ginger, 2 spring onions, 4 cloves garlic, a heaped tsp ground allspice, a load of fresh thyme leaves, juice of a lime and about similar volumes of tamari and oil blitzed together. There’s some left.

That sounds great sue and aubergine and squash are two of my favourite vegetables

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu May 05, 2022 2:12 pm

We had Satsivi yesterday, to dress up some left-over roast chicken. it was fab. We used Claudia Roden's recipe in her Jewish book. I haven't found a link online and none of the recipes I saw seemed to replicate it - basically ground walnuts, (cooked) onion, garlic, many different spices, pomegranate molasses, some chicken stock. We'll definitely be making it again.

I was going to make Skordalia, which is another sort of thick dressing that is great on chicken, but didn't have any fresh coriander or, indeed, any other suitable herbs. I've always made it with bread rather than potatoes, according to a New York Times recipe from 20 years ago!

Postby WWordsworth » Thu May 05, 2022 6:31 pm

I have been presented (by J) with some skate cheeks.
Who even knew skate has cheeks?

Might have to think about this.

Postby liketocook » Fri May 06, 2022 11:42 am

I've never tried Satsivi but it sounds like something I would enjoy.
Until DS1 met DIL-to-be I'd only had/made Skordalia with potatoes but her family recipe uses both though apparently either on it's own is fine. Apparently depending on the area/time of year getting potatoes suitable for mashing is difficult so bread is used. I have to say the stuff DIL-to-be makes is very good. She serves it with olive oil on top and a sprinkle of dill and/or chives.

Skate cheeks WW yum, delicious as tempura or pan fried like a scallop. :yum

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 06, 2022 12:42 pm

I’ve just looked at the Satsivi recipe - it’s Georgian and has all the elements of both Persian Fesenjan and Turkish or Middle Eastern tarator, literally Tartar sauce, lots of variants but there’s a walnut and garlic dip or dressing version which is the one I’m thinking of

Looks very good - and I see traditionally made with a poached chicken, using some of the poaching stock.

Here’s a recipe for the kind of walnut tarator I had in mind https://www.sanjeevkapoor.com/recipe/Ta ... Sauce.html

Postby aero280 » Fri May 06, 2022 2:06 pm

If satsivi is a kind of tartar sauce, it occurs to me that the words "satsivi" and "tzatsiki" may derive from the same origin.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri May 06, 2022 2:17 pm

WWordsworth wrote:I have been presented (by J) with some skate cheeks.
Who even knew skate has cheeks?

Might have to think about this.

Oooh, a lovely morsel, although in my parents' house they were known as Skate's (k)nobs (anatomically, cheeks are a more accurate/closer part of the skate) .. I recall seeing them on sale in some wet fish shops years ago :yum :yum :yum

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 06, 2022 2:21 pm

No, nothing like French tartare sauce or tsaziki, if you look at the recipe it’s basically a paste of ground nuts, bread crumbs and garlic. The version I linked to uses tahini to make it more creamy, which I like, but it’s optional really, not in all versions.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat May 14, 2022 3:49 pm

https://www.tracklements.co.uk/product/ ... d-ketchup/

This is great with bratwurst from Lidl.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat May 14, 2022 3:52 pm

yum :yum :yum

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat May 14, 2022 8:47 pm

We had this tonight: https://damndelicious.net/2015/06/19/on ... ini/print/

I had some Asda lightly smoked salmon fillets in the freezer, from when they were on a 3 for £10 multibuy.

As I had half a jar of the Ikea dill mustard sauce in the fridge, I used a spoon of that on top of each fillet. The taste was great, but it's not a short cut I'd do if I was making it for guests, at least not unless I found a way of making it look less like a slick, even if it was a tasty slick.

I wondered if I used the readymade sauce again with some breadcrumbs or something to give it some texture. But I haven't got any more salmon now and I wouldn't specially buy the Ikea sauce just for that anyway.

But a nice recipe, would recommend it :thumbsup

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat May 14, 2022 8:57 pm

Do you mean you used the IKEA sauce instead of the sauce in the recipe or as well as, ltc (I have a feeling I'm being very dim here)?
It certainly sounds interesting and nice. I'd baulk at that much sugar these days, sadly.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat May 14, 2022 9:17 pm

I used the Ikea sauce instead of making the recipe sauce, as I happened to have some open and thought I might as well :lol:

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun May 15, 2022 12:13 am

Sounds nice!

Postby WolfGirl » Sun May 15, 2022 9:35 am

This sounds similar to a quick and easy dinner I sometimes do, minus the courgettes. I always use breadcrumbs as a topping, sometimes using fresh but if I’m really pushed for time Sainsburys do some different flavoured dried breadcrumbs in a tub. A useful store cupboard ingredient.
In the past I have used dill sauce, pesto and just last week creamed horseradish for the first time which was tasty. I would think tartare sauce would work too.
Usually the salmon is cooked for 10/12 minutes though. We prefer our’s on the soft side.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun May 15, 2022 10:43 am

I've mentioned before that I like a blitzed nuts mixed with crumbs and seasonings of choice on top of fish. I think that'd work well with a layer of sauce beneath - we're getting away from the OP but the horseradish sounds a winner to me!

Postby liketocook » Sun May 15, 2022 12:09 pm

Some tasty sounding suggestions. I have a fair bit of salmon on the freezer and handily a jar of the IKEA sauce in the cupboard a bag of rough crumbs in the freezer. :yum

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox