Register

Tried something new

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Tried something new

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:50 am

We have beetroot and feta soup quite a lot, no walnuts but some tomato, it's from the original River Cottage cookbook. Hadn't thought of a thicker version with pasta. I looked at a large collection of jars of pickled beetroot in the cupboard yesterday and pondered the glut of beetroot on the plot. They've done well. In fact I'd be pleased if my combined swede, celeriac, carrot and beetroot yield were this big. Effectively it is, just all beetroot.. :roll:

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:03 am

I have a nice recipe from WR for a beetroot and coconut milk soup .... One of their better recommendations. :yum I pick up the recipe cards/leaflets when I go there, but some of the recipes are inedible :thumbsdown

Postby liketocook » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:50 am

Beetroot is probably something I should eat more of as I like it but tend to just have it pickled or roasted. I do like the sound of that spaghetti dish but can see that it might need a splash of something acidic to lift it.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:42 pm

The chicken, aubergine, feta traybake with lemon and tahini was a triumph. Might tweak it next time with lardons.

Postby liketocook » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:42 am

Excellent SG it sounds lovely. :yum

Postby Uschi » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:49 pm

I made Kimchi for the first time today. Axel lived in Korea for a while in the mid-70s and has made it before, but for me it was new.

We started yesterday by leaving China cabbage leaves in salt water and today we applied a chili paste, mixed the leaves with cut up spring onions, ginger and garlic - and some juniper berries, since I love them in Sauerkraut.

Now we must wait.

Postby liketocook » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:19 pm

Sounds good Uschi, my DIL-to-be made some last year and it worked well though got much spicier as it matured.
I've been sampling my pickled beetroot, I added some chilli flakes to the pickling mix and there is a nice background heat to it. I'm hoping it doesn't get too fiery as it matures though I'll probably have eaten it before that becomes an issue as I only made a few jars and I've nearly finished one!

Postby Suelle » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:52 pm

smitch wrote:I cooked a veggie version of this minus the mushrooms for our brunch this morning https://www.hairybikers.com/recipes/view/full-english-shakshuka

I used Richmond sausages, facon lardons from ‘this isn’t’ and vegan black pudding from V Pud.

We both enjoyed it, will definitely make it again.

I did the full-on meaty version yesterday. It was delicious and I'll do it again, but I didn't think the egg added anything so will leave that out in future. I also added a full tin of beans, as I was having it for dinner rather than a brunch dish. The recipe made 3 portions as a main meal.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby smitch » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:58 pm

I hadn’t noticed I was only supposed to use half a ton of beans! I used a full tin too. I did only use 4 sausages and a small amount of black pudding.

I’m not really a fan of eggs so might leave them out next time.

Postby Suelle » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:05 pm

smitch wrote:I hadn’t noticed I was only supposed to use half a ton of beans! I used a full tin too. I did only use 4 sausages and a small amount of black pudding.

I’m not really a fan of eggs so might leave them out next time.

I expected to get 4 portions, but if a full tin each of beans and tomatoes only gives 3 dinners, I might use fewer sausages in future - it was more meat than I'd usually eat.

Believe it or not - the first time I've eaten black pudding too, so it really was something new.

Postby smitch » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:37 am

I never ate black pudding pre-veggie. I became vegetarian aged 13 and the thought of black pudding turned my stomach :lol: I love the veggie stuff though!

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:45 am

Love black pudding but it's not very keen on me. I sometimes can't keep it down. Talking of the Hairies I think this season is an absolute treat. Bamburgh and Lindisfarne were breathtaking and the boys are just so nice.

Postby liketocook » Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:24 am

Both versions sound delicious and I just happen to have a 3lb roll of Stornoway black pudding in the fridge. :yum

Postby Suffs » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:17 pm

Bung some over this way LTC …. :wave:

Postby Suelle » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:32 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Love black pudding but it's not very keen on me. I sometimes can't keep it down. Talking of the Hairies I think this season is an absolute treat. Bamburgh and Lindisfarne were breathtaking and the boys are just so nice.

I've been enjoying this series too! They've met some really interesting artisan producers.

Postby liketocook » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:57 pm

Suffs wrote:Bung some over this way LTC …. :wave:

Brace yourself, I'm not the best aim :lol: :lol: It is lovely stuff https://www.charlesmacleod.co.uk/produc ... %20More%20
I must watch the new HB series it sounds excellent.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:17 pm

When I was in Lidl yesterday they had some Seabrook Fish and Chip crisps on offer.

They have been declared universally disgusting by the temporary Pig household.

Postby slimpersoninside » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:51 pm

Not at all shocked to hear that PP :!:

Postby liketocook » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:22 pm

No can't say that appeals PP, though I do enjoy the Seabrook ready salted crinkle cut crisps. :yum

Postby Busybee » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:44 pm

Seabrook are my favourite brand of crisps but I can’t say that flavour appeals.

BB

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox