Register

Tried something new

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Tried something new

Postby liketocook » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:14 pm

Sounds good scully :yum

Postby WWordsworth » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:58 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/o ... ce-recipes

Tried this one tonight.
It was quite sweet, as I often find middle eastern recipes are but it was very tasty.
I reduced the salt as there seemed to be loads.
It needs an accompaniment, I used green beans. A crunchy green salad would be even better.

Postby halfateabag » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:07 am

With 'new' in the subject..... Whilst in ASDA/Walmart at Haydon Wick the other day, in the world food aisle I found Beechwood smoked lamb rashers, which I have never come across before.

Also I found Turkish pastry leaves which I think may be the Turkish equivalent of filo pastry but a bit more like a thin rolled dough than actual pastry.

I shall be having some fun using both these products ! :yum

I think this is where I get my love of foreign supermarkets/markets from. Finding something new and using it really excites me. I must get out more !!!

Postby liketocook » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:54 am

I had looked at that WW, good to hear it was enjoyable.
Interesting buys Zosh, DS2 came across lamb "bacon" when he was in Bangladesh just before COVID fully hit when the hotel included as part of the breakfast buffet. He said it was okay but very salty. I do like coming across new things to try.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:03 pm

halfateabag wrote:Also I found Turkish pastry leaves which I think may be the Turkish equivalent of filo pastry but a bit more like a thin rolled dough than actual pastry.

There are lots of kinds but I’m guessing [saç] yufka, it could be described as a kind of pancake or possibly even flatbread, made on a hot plate anyway but used as pastry mainly for savoury dishes

I too love exploring foreign supermarkets, and even in London there are Asian and Turkish supermarkets; we briefly had a West African one that sadly didn’t survive lockdown but it was fascinating

Postby scullion » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:16 pm

i think most of us, who like cooking, haunt the world food aisle, ethnic shops/supermarkets and any 'foreign' markets we can get to.
i was overjoyed to find an asian shop had opened up in truro a couple of years ago - a crammed warren of wonderful ingredients, fruit and veg.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:30 pm

scullion wrote:i think most of us, who like cooking, haunt the world food aisle, ethnic shops/supermarkets and any 'foreign' markets we can get to.
i was overjoyed to find an asian shop had opened up in truro a couple of years ago - a crammed warren of wonderful ingredients, fruit and veg.

Indeed, scully, the problem can often be working out what the hell the wonderful looking ingredients are :lol:

Postby scullion » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:43 pm

hahahaha - i buy it and find out what it is/ how i can use it later - or ask in the shop.

Postby halfateabag » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:15 pm

Ditto... have in the past in an Indian market in Southall, had the GM translate to the GD what it is and how to use it....

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:08 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/a ... ks-recipes

Tried the spiced mushroom orzo tonight, of sorts.
Couldn't find any oyster mushrooms so I used shitake.
Failed to buy sunflower seeds so I used pine nuts.
Didn't have enough parsley or tarragon.

But it was really tasty.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:14 pm

scullion wrote:i think most of us, who like cooking, haunt the world food aisle, ethnic shops/supermarkets and any 'foreign' markets we can get to.

On my way home from hospital appointment last Friday (dermatology to check a suspect mole, that wasn't ;) :thumbsup ).. I dived into a Chinese/Taiwanese supermarket at the top of the high street, the only one around here for miles :clap :bounce: .. (StokeySue may know this one ;) )

I came out £30+ lighter in my pocket, but a host of frozen dim sum ... :yum :yum :yum

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:49 pm

Tonight, OH made Cauliflower Piccata from the New York Times https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/102 ... er-piccata

Not sure about paywalls etc, but I've also made a Word version

It was very, very good. We had it with cauliflower and carrots. The sauce was delicious :thumbsup although the veg took longer to roast than was suggested in the recipe.

Postby herbidacious » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:41 pm

Looks delicious, KC2!

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:43 pm

That looks lovely, KC2. Maybe blanch the veg first? I might try the recipe, I've got tofu to use too as they suggested.

Postby liketocook » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:32 am

Delicious sounding recipes WW & KC2. :yum
I finally got round to making the sausage & butter bean casserole https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/saus ... bean_96450 , it's a keeper :yum
I used 6 sausages but kept the rest the same. That fed the two of us well with green beans and a small baked spud. There's a smaller portion left over for lunch. The simple bread crumb and parsley topping really added to the dish.

Postby smitch » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:02 pm

Tonight, I made the fennel & courgette lasagna from this link https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/sep/25/vegetable-lasagne-butter-ramen-noodles-spicy-mince-stuffed-conchiglie-yotam-ottolenghi-pasta-recipes

Really good, will definitely make it again!

Postby Suffs » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:00 am

halfateabag wrote:With 'new' in the subject..... Whilst in ASDA/Walmart at Haydon Wick the other day, in the world food aisle I found Beechwood smoked lamb rashers, which I have never come across before.....

Smoked lamb rashers = kosher and Halal bacon

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:23 pm

Lamb is unusual I think as a bacon substitute, both kosher & halal shops round here sell mainly turkey rashers and sausages, and of course basturma the spiced salt meat that preceded pastrami, though that's mainly beef

The Turkish green grocer has something he labels Hawthorn Berries, but they aren't the ones currently turning scarlet in the hedges, they look like small crab apples, and Google suggests they are also known as Hawthorn Apples, he let me try one, quite nice, not a very distinctive flavour, hard to describe
They look very like these, more of a greeny yellow colour
https://specialtyproduce.com/produce/Ha ... hes%20long.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:33 pm

smitch wrote:Tonight, I made the fennel & courgette lasagna from this link https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/sep/25/vegetable-lasagne-butter-ramen-noodles-spicy-mince-stuffed-conchiglie-yotam-ottolenghi-pasta-recipes

Really good, will definitely make it again!

That looks like a great recipe, smitch, but did it really only take 25 mins hands on to prepare? (Not counting the roasting time, of course.)

OH isn't specially keen on fennel, so I wonder what might be a good sub. He doesn't like aubergines either, so that's two things I really like that we never have!

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:17 am

I've eaten cured sheep products in Iceland, but they were mutton ham rather than bacon. I also brought back some reestit mutton from Shetland once. I shared it with Mum. It took her a while to forgive me... :D

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox