Register

Tried something new

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Tried something new

Postby liketocook » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:31 pm

Looks gorgeous KC2 :yum ,
i spotted the Thomasina recipe and bookmarked to try earlier in the week.

Postby smitch » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:49 pm

I cooked a veggie version of this minus the mushrooms for our brunch this morning https://www.hairybikers.com/recipes/view/full-english-shakshuka

I used Richmond sausages, facon lardons from ‘this isn’t’ and vegan black pudding from V Pud.

We both enjoyed it, will definitely make it again.

Postby aero280 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:11 pm

Not tried making it, but the battenburg cake on the afternoon tea stand yesrterday was wrapped in orange fondant and not marzipan. Tasted quite nice! :)

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:18 pm

This cropped up on Twitter.

https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/badg ... adkill-fan

Anything to say Badgers Mate?

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:35 pm

Years ago I read a book by D Brian Plummer, (perhaps best known as the owner of the ferret that bit Richard Whiteley) entitled Adventures of an Artisan Hunter. I picked it up in either Cambridge (Heffers) or Bristol. Anyway, I opened the book in the shop and the first paragraph I read was about him cooking some roadkill - a fox, iirc. His verdict - "Christ it was horrible. Even worse than badger!" I had to buy the book after that. After all these years that might be a misquote, but what stuck in my mind was the notion of badger being a measure of nastiness against which other 'game' might be judged.

Low carbon though... :D

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:11 am

What they've eaten probably makes a difference. https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/blog/2 ... her-facts/

I thought it amusing that the chap's wife was vegetarian.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:19 am

The thing is badgers are mustelids, possessed of a stink gland, I bet that taints the road kill

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:38 am

Ooooh, yes.

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:00 am

I am very surprised given I live in such a built up area that a proposed housing development is being contested on the grounds that it will disturb the badger sett. It’s on one of the main roads, 800 metres away and not near either of the parks. They are either very bold or very stupid badgers.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:10 am

There are badger setts round here on odd bits of land with sandy soil away from parks. They play havoc with people's gardens and feast on rubbish. When I used to leave for work early whole families of them could be seen attacking rubbish sacks on bin day - they'd waddle away when they saw the car lights.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:27 am

When I was a child we used to need badger proof dustbins because they are strong and can tip over an ordinary 90 litre bin and roll it to spill the contents, waking up everyone. But we lived on the very edge of town, with fields a short walk away and ancient woodland not far

Went to Dorset with a London friend years later and she commented on the odd bins and bin stores - obvious to me there must be a lot of badgers around

Postby Busybee » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:41 am

Yet in live in the sticks and have yet to see a living badger.

Seen loads killed on the country lanes over the years, seen the havoc they make on the golf course, know where the local sett is but still the b@***ers elude me!

But we do have a big cat round and about, spotted in our garden at one point, used to send our old dog loopy barking to get at it, but when he actually saw it he ran like the wind in the opposite direction. Local game keeper thinks it’s a lynx. It tends to stalk deer in the field opposite side of the railway line to us but from our elevated platform we get a good view.

BB

Postby scullion » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:41 am

Busybee wrote:Yet in live in the sticks and have yet to see a living badger.

i used to call them 'figments'. my partner often used to see them if coming home late at night but i used to say that they were figments of his imagination - until i came home late one night shouting that i'd seen a figment!
the normal badger protection for the rubbish locally are old bits of carpet, towels or fabric draped over the bin bags (the big wheelie bin lorries can't make it down many of the lanes).

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:52 pm

Just remembered that I have tried something new this week ... one of those frozen 'Cook' meals. I spotted them when I stopped off to get fuel yesterday. I chose the smoked haddock and bacon gratin with sweet potatoes and very nice it was too :yum Not on a regular basis but very tasty and plenty of haddock :thumbsup

Postby liketocook » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:34 pm

Sounds good Patsy, I love dishes with smoked haddock and bacon in them.
I've not seen a badger since I was a young child visiting my Great Aunt and Uncle. My Great Uncle was a gamekeeper and knew where all the setts were and where you could watch them from. I'm not sure what thrilled me more seeing the badgers or being out so late at night!

Postby Sloe-Gin » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:05 pm

Trying this tonight, only with frozen peas, rather than sugar snap

https://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/rec ... -traybake/

Postby Amyw » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:34 pm

That chicken dish sounds good SG. Let me know how it turns out

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:49 pm

scullion wrote:
Busybee wrote:Yet in live in the sticks and have yet to see a living badger.

i used to call them 'figments'. my partner often used to see them if coming home late at night but i used to say that they were figments of his imagination - until i came home late one night shouting that i'd seen a figment!

We have that! Years ago, and I think only 3 kids, we were on holiday in Kent and I spotted a dead badger by the side of the road. I pointed it out to them and they were unimpressed. They had another look on the way back and said it was a fox. For years after everywhere we went roadkill was accompanied by “Oh look, there’s one of mum’s dead badgers”. :lol: I must ask if they still do it!

Postby Sloe-Gin » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:39 pm

We had GKs sprung upon us and they said what's for tea?
We told them they could have dog food, so they went home.
It was too late to do the chicken traybake, so it s Swans farm shop garlic pork with cauliflower cheese. Shame there wasn't enough for the GKs!

Postby Kacey » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:45 am

Had a bit of a glut of beetroot and no idea what to do with it so made this last night https://www.waitrose.com/home/recipes/r ... hetti.html It was nice enough, I left out the walnuts and added a couple of fat red chillies to the beetroot and onion whilst it was roasting. I'd tweak it a bit if I made it again, I think it needed either a splash or two of red wine vinegar in the blended beetroot or a decent squeeze of lemon juice.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox