Register

Tried something new

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Tried something new

Postby liketocook » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:56 am

How did you have the reesit mutton BM? My Aunt & Uncle lived on Shetland until a couple of years ago and made gorgeous soup with it but a little goes a very, very long way. I can't imagine just eating it like jerky as the taste/smell is so strong!

Postby smitch » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:28 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:
smitch wrote:Tonight, I made the fennel & courgette lasagna from this link https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/sep/25/vegetable-lasagne-butter-ramen-noodles-spicy-mince-stuffed-conchiglie-yotam-ottolenghi-pasta-recipes

Really good, will definitely make it again!

That looks like a great recipe, smitch, but did it really only take 25 mins hands on to prepare? (Not counting the roasting time, of course.)

OH isn't specially keen on fennel, so I wonder what might be a good sub. He doesn't like aubergines either, so that's two things I really like that we never have!

Possibly a little bit longer but it wasn’t that involved. The ricotta cream was super easy as was the pesto. I made both whilst the veg was roasting. I didn’t cook the veg as long as the recipe said though.

I think spinach would work well or you could use peppers.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:31 pm

That does look nice. I adore fennel as long as its not overcooked. I was thinking that for a low carb option, slices of aubergine might work in place of lasagne too (sorry, KC2!). Another one to bookmark.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:58 pm

Ha, EM! Like the idea of peppers instead, smitch :thumbsup

I've just read the recipe more closely and see the dill is also for a pesto - I think that if I do peppers instead of fennel I'll do a rocket pesto; dill and fennel complement (sp?) each other, perhaps less good a match with peppers.

I've just added the fresh lasagne and the ricotta and mozarella to my Asda order for Wednesday :thumbsup

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:51 pm

How did you have the reesit mutton BM?

I made a broth/stew with it. I did use it as a feature though. Not sure what Mum did, something similar I think, it was 30 years ago and she's no longer around to ask. It certainly didn't go far enough as far as she was concerned... :D

Postby halfateabag » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:18 am

Not actually tried this yet but thought it looked a bit different...https://parade.com/1185010/theresagreco ... no-recipe/

Anyone else come across it before ??

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:59 am

No I haven't. Quite a party piece. I've never thought of baking pasta dough like a pastry before.

Postby liketocook » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:39 am

Badger's Mate wrote:
How did you have the reesit mutton BM?

I made a broth/stew with it. I did use it as a feature though. Not sure what Mum did, something similar I think, it was 30 years ago and she's no longer around to ask. It certainly didn't go far enough as far as she was concerned... :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: it's an acquired taste BM

Interesting recipe Zosh, I suspect the risk of it collapsing in a heap might be quite high!

I've been intrigued for a while about using mayonnaise as a marinade after seeing various recipes online. Yesterday I skinned and boned chicken thighs and marinated them in a mix of mayo, garlic, chilli powder, sage, rosemary, lemon juice, black pepper and a tiny splash of oil for a couple of hours. I then breaded the coated chicken with a mix of blitzed stale bread and packet sage & onion stuffing mix. I baked the chicken for about 25 mins at 170C. It's a keeper, the chicken was beautifully moist & tender and the crumbs crisped beautifully. Picture over on the "What's Everyone Cooking" thread.

Postby Pampy » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:06 pm

I suppose mayo. has a similar effect to buttermilk, which is what "traditional" Southern-fried chicken is soaked in before cooking.

Postby liketocook » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:43 pm

Pampy wrote:I suppose mayo. has a similar effect to buttermilk, which is what "traditional" Southern-fried chicken is soaked in before cooking.

Yes it seems to have, though being thicker the marinade stuck to the chicken so cut out a step or two in the breading and there was no need for any more oil to bake it and get a fried effect. It was definitely worth it.

Postby herbidacious » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:52 pm

I have polenta and gram flour chips, flavoured with chaat masala and turmeric, in the oven right now. Will serve with fresh coriander and smoked garlic mayo.

Postby liketocook » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:14 pm

herbidacious wrote:I have polenta and gram flour chips, flavoured with chaat masala and turmeric, in the oven right now. Will serve with fresh coriander and smoked garlic mayo.

Oh I like the sound of those :yum , I've used the blocks of polenta cut into chips and coated in Cajun spice before and they were tasty.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:25 pm

Not one I’ve made but one I’ve bought Biona Organic Horseradish Relish, 55% grated horseradish, great flavour, I reckon it’s hotter than most ready made wasabi. Quite thick and dry, needs to be mixed with mayo or cream if you want a sauce :yum: so economical

https://www.farmdrop.com/products/Biona ... T8QAvD_BwE

Postby liketocook » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:58 pm

Sounds good Sue, I struggle to find fresh horseradish here but sounds like it could work as sub if needed. My sister brought me back a jar of grated horseradish from Poland which sounds very much like this is. It was fab though it didn't keep as long as I would have liked before going mouldy, with hindsight I should've frozen blobs of it.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:15 pm

Having slaved for an awfully long time, Ottolenghi's lasagne Smitch mentioned on one of these threads is in the oven ... I looked at it and thought it was relatively straightforward for him .... but I guess I'm extremely out of practice making anything that is remotely complicated! And I even made the pesto yesterday ...

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/s ... ta-recipes

Then to cap it all, I inadvertently sprinkled the vinegar of the Ikea Oil & Vinegar dispensers on the top ... I of course then used the proper oil, but I really wonder what it will taste like ...

I can see we're probably not going to eat until 9 or later at this rate!

Postby liketocook » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:27 pm

:crossed KC2 sounds good though a lot of work.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:29 pm

Something new but I haven't tried it yet. A can of Banana Blossom.

Any vegans out there with ideas?

Postby Pampy » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:07 pm

Nice if just coated with cornflour and fried.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:45 pm

Looks good, KC2!

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:02 pm

Well, it was worth it :thumbsup Really delicious :yum

For various reasons I didn't use fennel, dill or capers; instead, red peppers, rocket pesto and basil.
It would also be good with b nut squash and other veg, we thought.

One of my best friends recommended this Thomasina Miers recipe she made last night, btw, am looking forward to trying that too.
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/o ... dApp_Other
Attachments
Courgette  and pepper lasagne.jpg
Courgette and pepper lasagne.jpg (55.33 KiB) Viewed 2367 times

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox