Register

Tried something new

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Tried something new

Postby liketocook » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:25 pm

It struck me that while there a few very useful long running threads such as the soup and egg threads that generally if folk try something new that it can end up in many places and can be hard to find later.
I'm wondering if a thread where we can post if we try a new recipe, technique, ingredient or just cooked something familiar differently could be useful?
Since late last year, DS2 & I have been trying to cook something new most if not every week and it's really helped with my cooking mojo which during lockdown had got into a rut.
If not of use happy to abandon the idea
LTC
Last edited by liketocook on Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tandoori turkey wings

Postby liketocook » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:30 pm

I usually use these for soup but yesterday for a change I decided to marinate and roast them instead. It worked really well and the marinade made the meat nice and tender.
I used two turkey wing drumettes and the marinade was 3tbsps Greek yoghurt, 1 tbsp tandoori spice and the juice of 1/2 a lemon. I marinated the meat for just under 8 hours before roasting for around 50 minutes in a medium oven.

Re: Tried something new

Postby scullion » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:38 pm

i think it's a useful thread - i started a similar one on the other board!
hopefully it'll kickstart me to get out of the rut, too, and look through my wall of cook books...

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:51 pm

Great idea ltc. I probably won’t be contributing though as OH doesn’t do new. Will watch with interest.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:12 pm

Remember the great slow cooker thread?

I enjoy trying new things and hub has become more adventurous. He absolutely refused anything with coconut, but i made myself a green thai curry s couple of years ago and he said it smelt wonderful. He tried a bit and it's been on the menu ever since.

Ever open to new ideas, thank LTC

Postby Gruney2 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:13 pm

Count me in, please. I would find it really handy for new dishes or techniques I've tried, the results of which needed a bit of tweaking. For example, last night's risotto. The recipe called for the rice to be cooked till "al dente". I wasn't sure what the mouth feel of al dente rice should be, and under cooked it. I now know what to do - it can be fixed for part two today, but I wish I'd asked yesterday.
Oh - in no way do I mean to undervalue the help I received re basil.

Postby liketocook » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:25 pm

Yes I remember the thread scully and the slow cooking one too gruney.
I think standalone threads for specific advice or queries on a dish or ingredients work well and I don't think it overlaps with the day to day "what are you cooking" thread.
I'm looking forward to some new ideas. :)

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:54 pm

Always a good idea. I started a Test Kitchen thread earlier in the year - title way too long (is there a way to shorten or edit that?)

I'm constantly trying new recipes and techniques with varying results. If it's good, it's a keeper but I also I like to go back and perform tweaks, hence test kitchen and how to create T&T'ed versions rather than just new recipes - it's often an ongoing process and one of the reasons I like cooking.

Pepper Pig - old can be made new again. Nothing is writ in stone - always a different or new angle or tweak to try :D

Postby Amyw » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:07 pm

Good idea , I think now we’re all easing out of lockdown a bit , i for one could do with some cooking inspiration

Postby liketocook » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:07 pm

ZeroCook wrote:.
Always a good idea. I started a Test Kitchen thread earlier in the year - title way too long (is there a way to shorten or edit that?)

I'm constantly trying new recipes and techniques with varying results. If it's good, it's a keeper but I also I like to go back and perform tweaks, hence test kitchen and how to create T&T'ed versions rather than just new recipes - it's often an ongoing process and one of the reasons I like cooking.

Pepper Pig - old can be made new again. Nothing is writ in stone - always a different or new angle or tweak to try :D

I'm a confirmed "tweaker" often through necessity as I can't get an ingredient or because I liked 99% of a dish but thought it would be better if an element was changed or with online recipes I've read the comments and thought yep that works.
Many of the new dishes we have tried over the last 10 months or so have ended up changed slightly as time goes on.
Definitely room for both threads I would have thought :D

PS- if you click edit on your opening post it let's you change the title.

Postby slimpersoninside » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:07 pm

I like the idea of this thread and will keep an eye on it. Thanks LTC.

We are very stuck in "our menu" and could do with a kick up the backside! I find it difficult to break out of the rut as we have some major no-no's food wise and it's just easy to stick with the usuals.

I will try!

Postby Renee » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:52 am

ltc, where do you get your turkey wings from? I haven't seen them for a few years now, but used to use them to make stock to go with the turkey at Christmas.

Postby Suelle » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:38 am

I made courgette fritters for the first time tonight, following this recipe (more or less): https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/a ... ity-cloake

I had to add a bit more flour to soak up excess egg - I think one egg would have been enough for my tastes. Despite what Felicity says, they were quite pancake-like in consistency using 2 eggs.

It was a good way of using up a lot of courgettes, but I have been left with uneaten fritters, so I'll be seeing if they freeze and reheat well!
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Rainbow » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:30 am

Suelle wrote:I made courgette fritters for the first time tonight, following this recipe (more or less): https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/a ... ity-cloake

I had to add a bit more flour to soak up excess egg - I think one egg would have been enough for my tastes. Despite what Felicity says, they were quite pancake-like in consistency using 2 eggs.

It was a good way of using up a lot of courgettes, but I have been left with uneaten fritters, so I'll be seeing if they freeze and reheat well!

I've frozen fritters of various sorts and they've been fine. Not sure if I've done it with zucchini ones though - whoops, courgette!!
A bit like freezing pancakes?

Looks like a good recipe, using polenta. I'll save it and add your comments about eggs - I sometimes find fritter recipes too eggy, too.

Postby scullion » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:46 am

madhur jaffrey's 'courgette meatballs' freeze well - but before they're fried and you fry them straight from frozen.
i would imagine the fritters, even though cooked, would heat ok in the same way but may be soggy if microwaved.

Postby Suelle » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:28 am

Thanks for those useful insights, Rainbow and scullion. :)

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:17 am

This is a bit Ready Steady Cook. I have a lot of roast pork left plus loads of roast potatoes, and some cauliflower cheese which I don’t much fancy but would easily go to the dog. I was going to do a stir fry but am clean out of dried noodles. I have lots of veg. Any thoughts?

Postby Suelle » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:25 am

Pepper Pig wrote:This is a bit Ready Steady Cook. I have a lot of roast pork left plus loads of roast potatoes, and some cauliflower cheese which I don’t much fancy but would easily go to the dog. I was going to do a stir fry but am clean out of dried noodles. I have lots of veg. Any thoughts?

Hash - make like corned beef hash, but the chunks of pork won't break up like corned beef does. I throw all sorts of veg into my hashes - even courgettes.

Postby Suffs » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:37 am

Im doing a sort of Nasi Goreng with my cold roast pork, so no need for noodles ... the rice has been cooked and is cooling ready to go in the fridge for a few hours to 'dry' so it's not sticky when I make the Nasi Goreng

Postby liketocook » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:51 am

Renee wrote:ltc, where do you get your turkey wings from? I haven't seen them for a few years now, but used to use them to make stock to go with the turkey at Christmas.

These were from a large turkey bought reduced to clear after Christmas that I had portioned up. Apart from tubs of stock that's it finished now. I've never seen the wings sold separately just the drumsticks. It's been a great fiver's worth :)

I've frozen cooked courgette & corn pancakes Sue and they've been fine reheated. I can never get them to stay crispy though either freshly made or reheated but I still like them.

PP nice selection of leftovers - the pork I'd be going with the Nasi Goreng type option suffs is making. For the spuds good old bubble & squeak is hard to beat IMHO. I'm always pleased if there's leftover cauli cheese so I'm afraid pooch would be missing out. If it is just a small amount it makes a great filling for a toastie or topping for a baked spud. If there's a bit more it's good mixed with macaroni or used as the basis of a simple soup.

Our new recipe this week is one S-G mentioned previously https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/ama ... n-traybake I'll report back tomorrow on how it went.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox