Register

Potato and Aubergine Questions

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Potato and Aubergine Questions

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:39 am

1). I was browsing through my 1970 Australian Womens Weekly cookery book last night. The recipes seemed rather exotic at the time. There's a recipe I'd never noticed before for Brandied Potatoes and wondered if it was a common thing that had passed me by.
1lb potatoes are peeled & cut into 1/4" slices. They are put in a large frying pan with 1/2 cup brandy poured over them and cooked until the liquid has been absorbed (turning once). I tsp salt is added with 2oz butter and the potatoes are sauteed until golden brown on both sides. A finely chopped onion is added halfway through.
The dish is served seasoned with salt & pepper (more salt??) and topped generously with chopped parsley.

2). When charring aubergines in the kitchen (not on a BBQ), does all the faffing about with tongs, pans and a kitchen full of smoke really add a good smokey taste to the pulp once the skin has been picked off? I find it so easy just to pop them in the oven but if course this doesn't produce a smokey flavour.

Re: Potato and Aubergine Questions

Postby scullion » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:09 pm

the potato recipe passsed me by, too, obviously!
as for the aubergines, yes, the smokey flavour stays, deliciously, in the aubergine. essential for baba ganoush.
grilling is possibly better to getting the smokey flavour if you haven't got a flame or have an induction hob, rather than putting in the oven - otherwise a blowtorch in the garden!

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:35 pm

Never heard of that potato cooked with brandy & it doesn't appeal to me at all. Aubergines come out lovely when done over a handful of mesquite in my Cameron stove-top cooker - intensely smokey & easy to clean up. :thumbsup

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:41 pm

Brandied potatoes? Interesting - sounds like one of Fanny Craddock´s specialities!!
As for the aubergines: I´ve got a cast iron griddle which works on top of the stove. When I want "smoky" aubergines, I prick them all over ( one exploded on me once :shock: )and put them directly on to the griddle with a few twigs. Yes, twigs - I use mango twigs because I´ve got a mango tree in the garden, but any apple, pear, cherry, oak twigs, etc, would do. Only need to use three or four. Once the heat gets up and the twigs begin to smoke, I cover the griddle with tinfoil. Yes, some of the smoke will escape, but not much. I turn them maybe two or three times until they´re soft. Always works well and the aubergines are deliciously smoky.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:48 pm

Great hints for the aubergines - thank you. I love the look of that smoker Lusciouslush. It might be my next toy.

Glad I'm not alone in not having tried brandied potatoes. If I wasn't avoiding potatoes at the moment I might have tried it (with cheap brandy of course!).

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:42 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I love the look of that smoker Lusciouslush. It might be my next toy.

Gof'rit...............!! It is so useful for lots of cooking you want 'smoked' _ I wouldn't be without mine now & I do have a 'proper' Smoker !!

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox