Register

Recommendations please ... eating out in London

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Recommendations please ... eating out in London

Postby Suffs » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:45 pm

A regular on the GW forum has posed this query ... as few of the foody gardeners are London-based and not many folk have been travelling into London recently, I thought I'd seek some suggestions on here ...

Her question is ... "If you could pick a tasting menu to try, for a special occasion, in London, which would you go for? I've had one once, several years ago at Fifteen, but am not familiar with the food scene at all, so some pointers would be very much appreciated."

Re: Recommendations please ... eating out in London

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:58 pm

The trouble is, everything is different post Covid, and London is huge, best to pick a region

The best tasting menus I’ve had in the last decade from restaurants still open have been The Dairy (Clapham), chez Bruce (Wandsworth) Trinity ( Clapham) - the others I think are not functioning
Having eaten his food at other locations I’d be inclined to try Frog by Adam Handling, but no idea if he does a tasting menu as his website is awful

Postby herbidacious » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:38 pm

I would second Chez Bruce as a place to eat, but not had the tasting menue... and our last visit was 2017. And of course I am vegetarian so probably no point in my recommending anywhere. Gauthier used to be our go-to place but that's now exclusively vegan.

I don't think I could manage a testing menu now... they were always a bit too much food even when I had greater capacity.

I've not eaten out in town since early 2020.

On no! I just saw the Modern Panrty has gone from st John's Square. My friend/colleague and I were planning a lunch there to ameliorate having to go back to the office. I do hope la Fromagerie starts doing meals as that was our other go-to treat place.

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:59 pm

I’d recommend Pollen Street Social. I’ve eaten there recently and the full tasting menus are up and running. They do 3.

https://pollenstreetsocial.com/

Postby Suffs » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:13 pm

Thanks folks ... she is very grateful ... she says anywhere in London is possible but central, SE, E probably easiest.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:22 pm

I might stick with Frog then , it's Covent Garden, and does a tasting menu - the web page just doesn't like iPad, it's only mildly irritating on a PC

https://www.frogbyadamhandling.com/#menus

Very good review by Hardens
https://www.hardens.com/az/restaurants/ ... ndling.htm

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox