Register

Ideas to use up cooking chorizo

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Ideas to use up cooking chorizo

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:34 am

Us Fitsteps girls are having an end of term lunch meeting at the end of the month ...

I have in the freezer a pack of the little cooking chorizo as well as some frozen tortillas and a jar of roasted peppers ...

I don't like chorizo, so no idea why I ever bought it, but definitely why it has been languishing in the freezer for so long, so grateful for any ideas I can make as a tapas dish please

:newhuggy :newhuggy :newhuggy

Re: Ideas to use up cooking chorizo

Postby scullion » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:46 am

one of the tapas dishes offered in spain was mashed potato mixed with the oil rendered from the cooking of chorizo.
from what we could see anything could be a tapa - a slice of bread with a slice of cheese on, a scrambled egg and green bean dish - anything.
how about a sort of patatas bravas with the addition of small lumps of the (fried) chorizo?
thin slices of a cheese like manchego wrapped round a small filling of the chorizo?
spanish omelet, with the addition of the chorizo, slices?

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:12 pm

Cooking chorizo is often paired with potatoes , butter beans, or chick peas which soak up the oil rendered when they cook

The potato recipes I have all require cooking just before serving as the potatoes are sautéed, mashed potato would be an interesting variant

I would be inclined either just to cook according to the package instructions and serve like cocktail sausages or make some kind of bean dish

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:30 pm

All of the above!

There's a classic tapa of chorizo fried and then simmered with a splash of red wine.

https://spanishsabores.com/chorizo-al-v ... to-recipe/

Another possibility given the tortillas, but Hispanic rather than Spanish, would be chorizo and potato quesadillas,

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... uesadillas

They could be cut up into neat wedges for sharing. Or even scruffy ones :D

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:53 pm

Ooh, thanks folks .. :thumbsup

I will investigate further :bounce:

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:16 pm

Patatas con chorizo - potatoes cooked with chorizo, nothing else.
Mushrooms stuffed with chorizo. Blitz the chorizo in a blender, mix with a few breadcrumbs, stuff the mushroom caps, bake in the oven till done. All prepared in advance.
Tacos filled with chorizo and peppers: sweat the peppers in olive oil, along with the chorizo ( cut into pieces) . When they´re done, fill the tacos and top with grated cheese, pico de gallo, etc
Montaditos de chorizo y alcachofa: Split open the chorizo and cook the chorizo meat with a bit of onion, choppped artichokes and a sprinkle of sage, until the sausage meat is well-cooked. Serve on top of toasted bread.
Albóndigas ( meatballs) de Chorizo: use the sausage meat; add some breadcrumbs, paprika and form into little balls. Roll the balls in flour, egg and breadcrumbs. Fry till ready.
Piquillo peppers stuffed with chorizo. Blanch the peppers ( they´re tiny) then stuff with the chorizo. Bake in a tomato sauce until ready.
Potato Skins stuffed with chorizo. Cook the chorizo with onion & peppers, stuff the potato skins, sprinkle with cheese and bake for a fewv minutes in the oven.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:44 pm

Now I really am spoilt for choice :roll: :? :clap :lol:

Postby Suffs » Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:14 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:Now I really am spoilt for choice :roll: :? :clap :lol:

You'll have to get some more chorizo :lol:

Postby jeral » Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:28 pm

Another quick easy chorizo mixture for your collection if you buy some more ;)

Fried pieces, allow for shrinkage, of chorizo set aside then shallot and drained tinned (so cooked) puy or green lentils sauteed gently in the rendered fat and then chorizo stirred back in.

I haven't figured out how to call a filled vol-au-vent, mini galette, samosa or mini pasty a Spanish tapas yet.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:09 pm

I haven't figured out how to call a filled vol-au-vent, mini galette, samosa or mini pasty a Spanish tapas yet.

Vol-au-vent is definitely not Spanish, and I´ve never seen anything remotely like it in a Tapas bar.
A Galette could, I suppose, pass as a "Montadito" - basically, any tasty little morsel served on a piece of bread.
Samosas and pasties would be classified as "empanadas", although Indian food seems to be catching on quite a bit in Spain right now.

Postby jeral » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:20 pm

Thanks karadekoolaid. Good to know. My best guess was just to shove a cocktail stick in them and blag it :lol:

Postby northleedsbhoy » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:05 pm

Just wondering - has anyone used the oil to make fried bread and if so what was it like?

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby jeral » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:45 pm

Croutons, yes. Made if poss with very open crumb ciabatta cubes to avoid tooth breakers.

Not sure a normal amount of cooking chorizo exudes enough fat to make fried bread although I'd have thought if there was enough it might be a bit strong-tasting for a whole slice of bread. Just guessing though.

Postby Seatallan » Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:09 pm

Patsy, whilst I'm sure you're chorizioed out, I frequently make a chickpea and chorizio thing. Pan fry some cooking chorizio along with some chunked sausages of your choice. Add chopped red onions, sliced red peppers, thinly sliced garlic and chopped celery. Soften. Stir through a teaspoon of chilpottle paste. Add a tin of chickpeas (along with the juice) and a tin of tomatoes. Slosh in some sherry. Simmer. Eat. :yum
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Amyw » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:38 pm

I love chorizo and haven’t had it for ages . I normally have it with chicken in a tomatoey spicy sauce but for more of a tapas thing , I’d include in a patatas bravas or use in hueveros rancheros . If you’ve got individual serving dishes you could go an egg in each per person with a bit of bread for dipping

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:54 pm

I got a Wheaty vegan Gran Chorizo

Don't is my advice

I didn't expect the texture to be very good as it is made of seitan, and it was a bit slimy, which I could have tolerated if the flavour was good, but it tasted nothing like chorizo, I don't think that's my sense of taste, reading the ingredients & allergens it contains onion but not garlic, and the spice mix includes celery and mustard but not obviously paprika or chilli, a strange background flavour which I think was yeast extract and the wrong spices

Postby RockyBVI » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:15 pm

I love it with prawns in garlicky olive oil with bread to dip as a take on gambas al ajillo. We have a regular supper dish of 'gypsy eggs'. A tomato sauce made with onions and chorizo. Put into a dish with dips made for some eggs and bake. Again lovely with bread.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox